The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does it make sense to drop out of college to become a real estate agent?

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
So I just got an oportunity to become a real estate agent. Does it make sense to go this route, especially when you want to drop out of college? (at 18?)

The real estate agency says, that they teach their agents all the things they need.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
think of your perfect life in the future. Mine is traveling the world and meeting awesome people.

Yours is probably different - Close your eyes and imagine it's already happening.

What choice did you make that Made this possible?

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
I am also 18, if I was you I would do real estate independently from a firm

Because, (making an educated guess here) that they will take commission from all the places you well

And that really depends on YOU (I don't know how these firms work 100% so take what I say with a grain of salt) they could do 90% of the footwork for you and the only thing you need to do is give tours, and close on leads

unorthodox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Apr 15, 2015
Becoming a Real Estate agent is only worth it if you do it right. Read "The Millionaire Real Estate Agent" by Gary Keller before taking the dive to get an idea of what it takes to be successful.

I worked for a guy in Plymouth, MI (Jeff Glover) who started at 20, now 32, making 120k+ per month!

It's possible to make a great income but the key is you MUST put in the work.

To be successful early on you must cold call FOr Sale By Owners and Expireds, hold open houses and door knock, network, follow up etc. You must have thick skin because people will lie, waste your time and drive you crazy. It takes time like another business.

I would also recommend starting at a Keller Williams firm, they have great training programs for new agents and experienced agents and really support the team model very well.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Here's how a real estate agent gets paid.

Let's say a house sells for $100,000. The commission on the house is 6%. The buyer's agent gets half, the seller's agent the other half. Of that half, the sponsoring agent takes half. The agent himself (you) keeps that other half.

Here's the math: Commission is $6,000. Buyer's agent (you in this example) gets $3,000. Sponsoring agent takes $1,500. You're left with $1,500.

Notice in this example how you do all the work. The sponsoring agent just uses you to get $1,500.

Therefore the question is: Is the agency bullshitting you to get free labor? Most likely. So are they selling you bullshit dreams so that they benefit from any upside? I'd say so.

With that said, here's what you can do:

• Go to college
  • Become an agent; doing showings in the evenings/weekends

College is a lot easier than people make it out to be. You can easily manage both. The only question is if you rather work at night vs networking, joining clubs, partying, etc.

Robert Ferguson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 9, 2015
So I just got an oportunity to become a real estate agent. Does it make sense to go this route

Does it make sense? Depends.
Does it make sense for me? Absolutely not. Does it make sense for you? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not.

If you're stuck on the opportunity part of it, I wouldn't make the decision based solely on that alone. The barrier to become a real estate agent isn't high. Anyone can enter with a few hundred bucks and some studying. What state do you live in? Is the real estate agency paying for your liscense? How did the opportunity arise? Are you considering this because it's what you WANT to do, or do you see it being a viable option to support yourself/family. Is there passion behind it or is it possible that you may face the option of "dropping out" of real estate, like you would college, if you get offered a different opportunity? Take into consideration what your goals are and what you'd want out of becoming a real estate agent.

especially when you want to drop out of college? (at 18?)

Since you're 18 I'm assuming this is your first year of college. What are you going for? Is tuition paid or is it possible to get a percentage back seeing as you've used less than 25% of your time? Did you or do you have a goal in mind after finishing college? Why did you go? Do you have a job?

If your future visions aren't in line with what you're doing at college I personally wouldn't take on the debt and TIME. This is your most valuable asset. If you have some sort of deal with tuition and it can add value to your life/future with what you envision, than it becomes more practical.

"When VALUE exceeds PRICE, a sale is made"

Many questions to think about before making a decision like that. You can also use the WADM (Weighted Average Decision Matrix) that MJ outlines in his book. It was made for decisions that could possibly be treasonous.

Hope this helps you make a better decision!

Last edited:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
It seems like your mind is leaning towards dropping out of college. I went to college, and I am so thankful I didn't continue my education there because then I wouldn't have found the Fastlane Forum.
My advice is to be a real estate agent, as you see more value in that now than college in the long run. Just remember, your dreams aren't fulfilled until you start working towards them, because everyday is different. Everyday you learn something new about what you want to do for the rest of your life. So as long as this is something you're willing to give 100% everyday, go forth.

AntEmpire

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 4, 2015
I would do it only if aligned with my Fastlane dreams. For example, if you want to be like some of the people on the forum who own multiple properties and make passive incomes per month renting those properties out (or later selling them for a profit in the right market), then I would take the real estate job, as it's likely to teach you some of the things you'll need to know to do this.

I'm at an age now where I won't take a job that doesn't help, even in some small way, advance my entrepreneurship goals. Just because I'm still stuck working for someone else doesn't mean I can't take advantage of the situation by learning something in the process.

But you're young, at the very beginning of your life road. If I were your age and I felt strongly about the real estate job, I would take it. It doesn't matter if it turns out to be the wrong decision in the end. Through that failure you wil have learned something valuable in the fall down. And College will still be waiting for you when you're 21, 25, 35, and even 65 if that's what you ultimately want to do.

But if you have an entrepreneurship mindset, and I'm assuming you do since you are on this forum, then better to get comfortable with risk now before a slowlane mindset takes over. Take the job and see what the real world has to teach you outside a textbook.

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
College is a lot easier than people make it out to be. You can easily manage both. The only question is if you rather work at night vs networking, joining clubs, partying, etc.
Of course I would rather do the latter, but unfortunatelly, my parents made me (forced me) to impulsively choose the high school/college I´ve chosen. And unfortunatelly - it is the most horrible school I´ve ever seen - the chairs there are so, that you literally can't even sit on the without being stooped - which causes massive pain for me, that I was forced to leave the bulding the second I sat there.
Does it make sense? Depends.
Does it make sense for me? Absolutely not. Does it make sense for you? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not.
So I guess I can´t live the next 3 years in pain. And since my parents are constantly broke, they want me to work part time jobs - so I would pay 50% of the private school tuition (which is about $2k here in Slovakia per year. On state schools - they are free, but only 1 school, and for 3 years bachelors, and 2 years masters. Either way I´ve allready lost 1 year thanks to, well,"them", but at the time of choosing the schools - they didn´t say anything about money problems, so.)
This reminds me very much of the "Choices" chapter in TMF .

What state do you live in?
Slovakia,Europe.
Is the real estate agency paying for your liscense?
I doubt that, one agency said it would just contribute to it. Also I could theoretically use my fathers trade license, if some house would present itself.

How did the opportunity arise?
I´ve just seen an advert on the local job sites here, as I was contemplating suicide,(because of the deprivation from the college building) and talked to my friend about it, and he recommended for me to look on jobs site for some job to pay for it(the private school) that way. (also I went to shitty MLM job, about half a week ago,but obviously found out it was scammy - "herbalife"-though it had great working hours - 10-15hrs a week, but didn´t have guaranteed pay - they promised 350€, i asked if people made 200€ here per month, and they said yes - so I went out)

Since you're 18 I'm assuming this is your first year of college. What are you going for? Is tuition paid or is it possible to get a percentage back seeing as you've used less than 25% of your time? Did you or do you have a goal in mind after finishing college? Why did you go? Do you have a job?
I´ve went for Economics, quite frankly because I wanted it to be easy, and for school to interfere the LEAST with my life. As it turns out, quite the opposite happened. Now I would consider switching to management next year(different college),
If your future visions aren't in line with what you're doing at college I personally wouldn't take on the debt and TIME.
Yeah, this Economics college basically has no future (my father has the same one)-and has been broke basically his whole life(which I´ve "just" realised that-when something has to be paid for).

And by the way - here is one(sent my CV to about 3 agencys-they all want job interviews with me next week) of the real estate agencys website (they basically charge their clients 3% commisions to sell the house) https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sk&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=sk&ie=UTF-8&u=http://finprofitreal.sk/balikysluziebcennik&edit-text=

and the other one https://translate.google.com/transl...http://insuriareal.sk/kari%C3%A9ra&edit-text=

Last edited:

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
I mean I don´t know, would you like to sit 3 years scooped like this? - I couldn´t stand it for a day.
-Since if you just sit straight - you can´t because of structure of the chairs, and you also ram your head from tables up higher.
IMG_2148[1].jpg
(Not to mention how 90% of the people there don´t say a word and just eat their sugary thing they just bought at the snack bar. - One other fat female student even refuesed to stand up, so I could walk through, lol...) Also, noone is smiling there, no positive atmosphere, just pure stress and heavyness.
Capture.PNG
Off-topic:
Also, my mother didn´t want me to leave that school, and thanks to her - I haven´t slept for 3 weeks basically, and subconciouslly, she even made me stuck in an elevator (she went last).
IMG_2235.JPG

Last edited:

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
^I am going to CC and I honestly feel like I will probably drop out after a year or 2

Seeing that picture you mentioned how you couldn't stand that for a day, i also would have the same problem

I cannot sit like that for very long otherwise i start to get upper back pain (used to happen all the time in hs)

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
Hmm... so one of the owners of one of the companies is "pressuring" me to make a decision - TOMORROW to go there in the morning and have a chat with them (his exact words were: I would like to talk with you about the position of real estate agent).

Sounded weak to me.

So I checked how much the company was making on our very handy site : they seem to be making €30k per year in sales. Which sucks in my opinion.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sk&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=sk&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.finstat.sk/36864200&edit-text=

The other company is growing, but still - just 45k € per year for the entire company? That doesn´t seem very attractive.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sk&sl=sk&tl=en&u=http://www.finstat.sk/46948244

Don´t want to waste more time with shady jobs like this... (where there would be no money to be made?) - and I also heard (and hear all the time)that the prices of Real Estate in our country/city are at their lowest.

Robert Ferguson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 9, 2015
Hmm... so one of the owners of one of the companies is "pressuring" me to make a decision - TOMORROW to go there in the morning and have a chat with them (his exact words were: I would like to talk with you about the position of real estate agent).

Sounded weak to me.

So I checked how much the company was making on our very handy site : they seem to be making €30k per year in sales. Which sucks in my opinion.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sk&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=sk&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.finstat.sk/36864200&edit-text=

The other company is growing, but still - just 45k € per year for the entire company? That doesn´t seem very attractive.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sk&sl=sk&tl=en&u=http://www.finstat.sk/46948244

Don´t want to waste more time with shady jobs like this... (where there would be no money to be made?) - and I also heard (and hear all the time)that the prices of Real Estate in our country/city are at their lowest.
You don't seem to be in college for the right reasons and it doesn't seem like a good atmosphere for you right now. The goal should be to add value to your life or learn a skill that you can use in your line of work/business.

Focus on getting your mind and your mental state in a good place first. Trust me you'll veiw the world completely differently.

Your goal with the real estate job can be to learn about real estate rather than trying to find something where you can make the most money. Shift your mindset and shift your reality.

Get a job and live below your means while saving a bit of money. Be your own college. The entire world is open, gifting free knowledge. But only if you seek it. You can learn anything you want if you search hard enough. Get to a library, search endlessly through the internet. If it's real estate you want to learn, go out and learn it. You're capable of anything you wish.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
@Charmander -

I wouldn't make any decision under pressure.

I'm not sure how things work in your country, but here in the U.S you can always become a real estate agent anytime you want to. Real Estate Brokers are always looking for good agents.

Here it is not a 'job'. As a Real Estate agent you are a commission-only independent contractor. (like running your own business, you pay your own taxes, etc) In other words, if you don't sell a house, you don't get paid. And it can take anywhere from 30 days to 6 months to 2 years to sell a house.

I was a real estate agent for a few years and I can tell you it's not as easy as people think. It's a tough racket.

The average yearly income for agents in my brokerage house was around $30,000 a year. There were 2 out of 30 that were making over 100k, and that's because they lived and breathed real estate, 7 days a week. They rarely took time off. They were good marketers. You have no down time because clients will call you at all hours of the day and night to go look at houses. There are no 'days off' really.

You spend your own time and gas driving clients around for weeks and even months to look at houses, and in the end, they may decide not to buy anything. Or worse yet, they bought with another agent because you didn't have a buyers agreement with them. So you don't get paid anything.

I don't mean to be totally negative. I just want you to know the reality of the business. It may be different where you live, I don't know.

To sell real estate you have to be fairly outgoing, a people-person, aggressive, a great marketer, and you might need a bit of money saved up.

My broker always recommended new agents have at least 6 months of living expenses saved up before you become an agent, because it could take that long to make any money.

We needed money for all types of agent fees and expenses just to get up and running. Those agents that tried to start with zero money saved up and no other job had a very hard time. The new agent drop out rate is pretty high.

That being said, people can do really well in Real Estate if they hustle. Once you get the hang of it, and you like it, you can do well.

There are a few others on the forum who are in real estate who might could chime in, but I'd bet they don't post here as much because they are busy working :)

P.S. Here in the U.S. you have to go to Real Estate School first, then get a license. Maybe it's different where you are.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I mean I don´t know, would you like to sit 3 years scooped like this? - I couldn´t stand it for a day.
-Since if you just sit straight - you can´t because of structure of the chairs, and you also ram your head from tables up higher.

Also, my mother didn´t want me to leave that school, and thanks to her - I haven´t slept for 3 weeks basically, and subconciouslly, she even made me stuck in an elevator (she went last).

1. Buy a cushion.
2. Stop making excuses.

You're really blaming your mom because you didn't sleep for 3 weeks? And then because of your mom you were stuck in an elevator?

Boo hoo.

And then you're complaining because the seats at your school aren't comfortable? So your logic is "Hey, these seats aren't comfortable. People aren't smiling. Yup. Let's drop out."

Well here's a wake up call - This entire world is uncomfortable. Making house payments is uncomfortable. Paying for food is uncomfortable. Wondering whether you'll be homeless in a month because you just imported a container of goods that you need to sell - that's uncomfortable.

A F*cking chair? Really, a F*cking chair? That's how you make decisions in your life?

And then you come to this forum, and ask us to back up your ridiculous decision? "Hey guys, college sucks, right? Back me up so that I can feel good about being lazy."

The others in this thread might back you up, but I won't.

Sorry for the harsh words, but you need tough love. You're not ready yet to be running a business or starting a career. Will going to school fix that? I don't know. But I'd bet on school + another 4 years of maturing instead of on an 18 year old that bases his decisions on the comfort of a chair.

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
But I'd bet on school + another 4 years of maturing instead of on an 18 year old that bases his decisions on the comfort of a chair.
I am sorry, but the "comfort of a chair" can literary have DEVASTATING long term effects on human health -I know what I am talking about-
if anyone hasn´t yet seen: http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are?language=en#t-346320

In any case- will probably try to switch schools the next year - my friend told me that about 40% of the people that went there from our previous school, realized the same thing.

Damn it, if anyone had just told me.

The Choices chapter in TMF is so true...

"Hey guys, college sucks, right? Back me up so that I can feel good about being lazy."
But trust me, the next day I was not there, I was driving 2 days straight(up until now) looking for job to pay for the private school. And no I was never lazy, I was getting top grades all the time (who cares about grades anyway), but math was always my weak side.

And besides I got into that school by pure luck anyway lol - I had only 2 excerises right out of 10 from maths (cheated one-on a phone), and guessed the other subjects... So will be probably dropping out, like they say a lot of students do there.

The thing is I know that real estate can make a really quick buck, though will probably have to risk it all and move to UK for a while(if I ever want to do some Real E. business), where there is atleast some legal ground to allow for quick flips...(yeah money chasing right)

Last edited:

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
You're 18. Go to college and chase girls and do dumb shit for a while. There's plenty of time to make money and work for someone else the rest of your life.
I however feel a high sense of urgency (as "everyone" these days recommends to have-eh?),but I just no longer feel like I should be sitting like a prisoner in a room without any windows(would rather go to jail instead), and be listening to some douchebag, who isn´t basically teaching anything, and just literary reading wikipeadia word for word.

I just feel like there is unbelivavle amount of money I could be making right now, yet for some reason I´m not.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I however feel a high sense of urgency (as everyone these days recommends to have),but I just no longer feel like I should be sitting like a prisoner in a room without any windows(would rather go to jail instead), and be listening to some douchebag, who isn´t basically teaching anything, and just literary reading wikipeadia word for word.

I just feel like there is unbelivavle amount of money I could be making right now, yet for some reason I´m not.
Because you are complaining.

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
get yourself an education, real world or in text books. just pick one and do it. If university is still free in slovakia, it seems foolish to pass up such an opportunity.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

This would have been hilarious if @theag said it.

Anyway, the answer is yes.

Yes, you should drop out.

Reason number one is: Robert Greene says so.

Just kidding. That's not a reason, but it should make you think, though.

How many Starbuck's baristas have you met who have a bachelor's degree (apparently, in a field of study that prepared them for the professional art of pouring coffee, and diabetes-producing snacks)? How many broke, bachelor's wielding bellyache about the jobs they hate... or the jobs they can't even get?

Lol. You don't need to go to college classrooms to meet college girls.

I dropped out of college when I was a few years younger than you.

Then I got a sales job.

My first boss was a guy named Alex. Alex, 30 years old, had a bachelor's degree in biochemistry, and dropped out of medical school (much to the chagrin of his old-school, immigrant parents!), to start a painting company.

A painting company that was making him more already than he would've as a doctor. He started @ChasingPaper, and never looked back.

Part of his "Fastlane" plan (Fastlane hand't been written yet) was to hire salespeople. I was his first rep.

My first sales job was selling paint jobs to homeowners. I sold them door-to-door. It was a good business, because people were always getting their homes painted. They would spend $2,000 - $4,000 for an average exterior job.

My first week, I made $300. Weeks in, I was making over $1,000 a week (I figured out I could increase the number of people I talked to if I started leaving flyers on all of the homes that did not answer their doors).

Second sales job was selling HVAC upgrades to homeowners. The company I worked for paid for me to sit at a booth at home and garden shows. My first sales day out, I sold three jobs, around $15,000 total.

$9,000 made in a single day, after following-up on leads that it took two days to create. I earned almost $10,000 in commissions.

When I turned 20, I tried to start my own concrete business, and... well, that's another story. I honestly think that was my best hustle back in the day.

When I moved to Chicago, a real estate investor hired me to do telemarketing for him. He purchased around 40 homes per week at auctions downtown, and flipped them to other investors for a quick $5,000 - $10,000 each. This guy had us in a real-life boiler room, and I was lucky enough to sit down to some of the beasts, the guys who produced month in and month out.

The key was consistency.

You can make it in any hustle. Understand that 90%+ of real estate agents do not close a deal in a year. Most of them do not produce. Go to any board of realtors and they will confirm this (at least in the United States). Succeeding like that, in any game, requires going hard, non-stop. It means phone calls, networking, meeting, seeing properties in the field. You're going hard all day.

But why real estate? I mean, if you really want to make it to the top of the game, then I would set your sights on Costar Power Brokers. <<link

The thing about real estate is that you can't really have anonymous success, especially if you make it to the absolute heights of the game, and you get on the Costar Power Broker list. The thing about real estate is that, unlike religion and politics, you can empirically validate who is truly the Uber of an industry. Every transaction, at least commercial real estate, is tracked when brokers do these deals. I'm talking about the 100,000 sqft - 1,000,000 sqft, Class A, B and C office, industrial, retail and medical facilities all over the country. So, I'm just saying, if you want to be a baller in that industry, go for it.

But why. Why real estate?

You're so limited as a broker. Brokers in New York can only broker New York properties. Same thing for brokers in Ohio. This might be impressive to some stupid property manager, but not if you want to have a more comprehensive impact and opportunity. You could certainly use a real estate agent/broker career as a short-term hustle, and gain knowledge and experience from pros, planning and parlaying all of that knowledge into your own venture one day... but you don't need to do that to get into the game.

Besides, there are already so many real estate agents. Wouldn't you rather enter a game that allows you to make serious money, fast... right out of the gate?

I look at becoming a residential real estate agent at your age as a classic hustler's move. F*ck college, I'm gonna do this $HIT for real, young money style. I'm not chasing an education, I'm @ChasingPaper. I'm not going to drive a Honda like everyone else my age. I'm going to ride a $EXY, black, roaring Mustang.

But if you're going to go that route, at least arm yourself with weapons to make money in a multitude of ways. Partner with an insurance broker. Partner with different service providers, all of which service homeowners. Network. To save homeowners money, offer energy efficiency and energy contracts to homeowners, and do it with a service that allows you to do this with no money out-of-pocket.

Last edited:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You make it sound like work.

My first sales job was selling paint jobs to homeowners. I sold them door-to-door. It was a good business, because people were always getting their homes painted. They would spend $2,000 - $4,000 for an average exterior job.

Second sales job was selling HVAC upgrades to homeowners. The company I worked for paid for me to sit at a booth at home and garden shows. My first sales day out, I sold three jobs, around $15,000 total.

$9,000 made in a single day, after following-up on leads that it took two days to create. I earned almost $10,000 in commissions.

When I turned 20, I tried to start my own concrete business, and... well, that's another story. I honestly think that was my best hustle back in the day.

When I moved to Chicago, a real estate investor hired me to do telemarketing for him. He purchased around 40 homes per week at auctions downtown, and flipped them to other investors for a quick $5,000 - $10,000 each. This guy had us in a real-life boiler room, and I was lucky enough to sit down to some of the beasts, the guys who produced month in and month out.

The key was consistency.

You can make it in any hustle. Understand that 90%+ of real estate agents do not close a deal in a year. Most of them do not produce. Go to any board of realtors and they will confirm this (at least in the United States). Succeeding like that, in any game, requires going hard, non-stop. It means phone calls, networking, meeting, seeing properties in the field. You're going hard all day.

But why real estate? I mean, if you really want to make it to the top of the game, then I would set your sights on Costar Power Brokers. <<link

The thing about real estate is that you can't really have anonymous success, especially if you make it to the absolute heights of the game, and you get on the Costar Power Broker list. The thing about real estate is that, unlike religion and politics, you can empirically validate who is truly the Uber of an industry. Every transaction, at least commercial real estate, is tracked when brokers do these deals. I'm talking about the 100,000 sqft - 1,000,000 sqft, Class A, B and C office, industrial, retail and medical facilities all over the country. So, I'm just saying, if you want to be a baller in that industry, go for it.

You're so limited as a broker. You could certainly use it as a short-term hustle, and gain knowledge and experience from pros, planning and parlaying all of that knowledge into your own venture one day... but you don't need to do that to get into the game.

Besides, there are already so many real estate agents. Wouldn't you rather enter a game that allows you to make serious money, fast... right out of the gate?

I look at becoming a residential real estate agent at your age as a classic hustler's move. F*ck college, I'm gonna do this $HIT for real, young money style. I'm not chasing an education, I'm @ChasingPaper. I'm not going to drive a Honda like everyone else my age. I'm going to ride a $EXY, black, roaring Mustang.

But if you're going to go that route, at least arm yourself with weapons to make money in a multitude of ways. Partner with an insurance broker. Partner with different service providers, all of which service homeowners. Network. To save homeowners money, offer energy efficiency and energy contracts to homeowners, and do it with a service that allows you to do this with no money out-of-pocket.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto

The key was consistency.

You're so limited as a broker. You could certainly use it as a short-term hustle, and gain knowledge and experience from pros, planning and parlaying all of that knowledge into your own venture one day... but you don't need to do that to get into the game.

It wasn't supposed to be a joke.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
If your leaning towards real estate, take it. I'm currently 20 years old, I got my real estate license within a couple months of graduating high school when I was 18/19.

I'm not wealthy by any means...yet. But I live decently. I've got the roaring black '15 GT mustang @Ubermensch was talking about. (NOTE: Buying brand new cars is stupid, but I'm in a decent situation and you only live once.)

You will work hard to achieve success in real estate, especially the beginning years. 90% don't make it. There will be times where you will be wondering if you made the right decision. There will be times where you work hard and make no money. There will be times where you make $15,000+ in one deal. This is what sales is about.

Real estate is not my only job currently, I do another sales job as well though I'm pursuing real estate full time soon.

There's not many job hustles where a 20 year can potentially make six figures, but fortunately, real estate is one of those hustles that give you the opportunity.

I'm also looking to buy a 4plex soon. BECOME THE LION. Real estate will teach you plenty of fastlane principles, im glad I decided not to go to college, only you can make the decision yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The road traveled by real estate agents is littered with dead bodies. Of course there are many successful ones as well. But I would guess the ones that did not make money far outnumber the ones that do.

I am not a naysayer though. Anyone can be successful if they apply themselves properly.

NYCGoblin

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 14, 2014
New York
In the middle of July I moved into a real estate career in Midtown Manhattan. I am a bit older then you 22, but for me it was the right decision because it put me in a much more entrepreneurial environment then I was at before, and has me around more like minded individuals. I had money saved to pursue this from a ecommerce business that I had operated previously, and don't have many bills so I figured now is the time when I should take a risk that can net a big reward. I am not looking at selling houses and renting apartments as my final destination, but it gives me more control of my time then what I was doing previously. No one knows you like you do, so we can not make this decision for you. I don't know what the real estate market is like in your country, but it sounds like you need to be razor focused as the market doesn't sound to be huge. Whether you stay in college, or do real estate you have to grind man there is no short cut. You are complaining on every external thing that you can not control think about what you can control and make best of it. Everyone here I'm sure has gone through a period like you are in but instead of letting it become a woe is me kind of thing, do something about it!

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
Because I thought that from what I heard, this would be the fastest way to make some quick cash. But yeah it's probably not the the case here (especially) in this market.

You make it sound like work.
I worked/studied here on this forum (and on places like this), that I could literally count the days, that I didn't on one hand.

So I don't mind work. - Seems better than Real Estate anyway, when there is that opportunity like @Ubermensch mentioned.

And of course I would rather work allready, rather than basically "waste" all the time learning and without doing any action.

Sales jobs were always very attractive to me, and nobody ever said no, when I applied.

So I guess I should move to UK for some sales opportunity?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.