The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does having a "good" job deter you from the hunger to succeed?

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I'm on the slowlane, but just because you aren't doesn't mean you can't be happy. There are plenty of people out there who truly love their jobs, being in the military definitely has it's ups and downs. Do I want to be my own boss? Yes of course, but I'm still young and I enjoy the thrill that the military gives. Could I do what I Do in the military on the outside? Maybe, but it wouldn't be the same way. I used to fly on helicopters, the kind that go out and rescue people in combat areas. I was surrounded by pilots and "high speed low drag" type of guys, these guys love their job and a lot of them would do it for free. I think people focus too much on wanting to own their own business and becoming wealthy, that they forget about being truly happy. Me personally, I want to have a side business designing games. Sure once the military thrill wears off, I'll get out, but for now I want to enjoy it. If I was in a different job in the civilian world, it would be different. Would you truly be happy if you were CEO? Or do you just think you would be? It's kind of like when people say "well once I have this car and make this much money, I'll be happy", but they get it and realize they aren't happy. You said: "Happiness matters, but doesn't becoming your boss matter much more?" Isn't that the whole point of wanting to become free of the slowlane? To be happy? I mean why would you want to get out of the slowlane if you hated where you were going anyways? Reminds me of that success story posting by a member here, Cantwait2 :
To me it's about being happy, if you're happy then nothing else matters. Who cares about your bank account status, or the cars in your driveway if you're not happy. I'd rather have less and be happy, than everything and hate my life. In the end, when you're on your death bed, it won't matter how much money you made, but the experiences that you had in life that will make you smile.

Happiness all depends on the individual. If you're happy that's wonderful. Right now at this EXACT moment in my life, I am simply content... but I know where I am going and the road I am taking with my life. I went through some tragedies that makes me appreciate the good that I currently have, and the opportunities that I will soon achieve in my life. If I could be content making $10 at a assembly line, then I can be CONTENT doing anything. I feel like a rich person, since I have the power to quit my current job for a few months too, and not worry about my finances. And I will leave it for my next career opportunity, which would be learning and operating a million-dollar industry in a field I will enjoy. But I won't be 100% happy, maybe 50% happy and 50% still hungry for my own business. But definitely not only content, since I am learning and growing as a person.

To be 100% in a general state of happiness, in all honesty, I would need to weigh 110 lbs/plastic surgery (for self-esteem, and I am working on this), own/operate a franchise bringing in millions a year (so I'll feel successful), have a small group of true friends for social contact, have a loving and healthy relationship with a minimum 6'0 ft and intelligent and general good-looking clean and compatible man who has equal ambitions and makes decent money so I don't feel like I am supporting him but can equally contribute to our wealth together, feel like I have total financial freedom to do whatever I want whenever I want, have at least a bachelor degree by 26 (even though it's not high up in my list I still want to feel accomplish in this aspect after I get my job training). And have a little bit of fame, be it in Forbes magazine or just in the industry that I am working at, but at least I left a mark on the planet (but this is low down the list, but it will be 5% happiness).

And material goods that I would want that would be trophy items. A nice little cottage in the woods, with deers and rabbits all around, and surrounded by birds tweeting. A nice running car. No debt, and pure profits. And I'll bake a pie, since I have free time to do so to celebrate my life. And I'll believe in God a little bit more, and go to church more often.

And that will make me happy. At least I hope so.

So I guess owning a million-dollar corporation isn't going to make me happy, but the people and the lifestyle I live will. But money sure does help.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hokoleskwa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
May 25, 2011
Denver
My good job is the seductive siren luring my dream ship back toward the jagged rocks of mediocrity.

What's even harder is that it's a really good job: great pay, great benefits, lots of vacation time, and I'm treated really well. There have been several mornings where I wake up thinking "Why do you want to mess with a good thing?" But the monotony of the job is starting to become mental torture and I want something more. In a way, the fact that the job is so good makes the decision easier: it's obviously not anything about my specific job that I don't like, but about jobs in general.

While I agree that "sink or swim" can be a great motivator, I cling too tightly to the security of the job to abandon it before I've got my feet planted firmly in my new venture. However, I don't think this hinders my motivation. Two years ago I was 60 pounds overweight, and I was able to lose it not because I had to, but because I was disgusted with my situation. I'm getting to the point where I'm almost equally disgusted with the idea of sitting at this desk or in my car for the majority of my waking hours until I get old.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
Do you feel that having a "good" job in the beginning of venturing out on your own is detrimental to you having the drive to succeed in your own biz because you're comfortable?

of course it does, but I think you really have to know yourself, and you really have to hate working for other people and dealing with the daily BS of working for someone else. If you know this about yourself, and you struggle everyday in that environment, then working in a company can actually be a motivator for you. If you are comfortable in your job, get along with people, have fun, smile at work, you may not be motivated to get the hell out.

conversely, in todays day and age, you have to be realistic. and MJ spelled it out well in the book. Dont do what you love. I see so many people doing this now, and failing miserably. If you have to work a full time job to make ends meat, while you build at night, do it, but dont let it tear apart your family.

NewWorldOrder

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 16, 2011
It depends on your "DNA" (i.e., your deep down desires and beliefs).

If you have the right mindset, having a job only elucidates how ridiculous it is. How everyone is so brainwashed. How full-fledged adults fear their bosses as if their bosses were their masters. It's one thing to understand a point intellectually. It's another to understand it experientially. Understanding that being in a jail sucks is one thing, but actually going to jail is completely separate deal!

Moreover, if you view a job in the right way, it may assist you in your own endeavors. You could learn quite a bit about an industry, its missing needs (that people are actually willing to pay for), all the wrong/right things your employer does. And if anything, it will enliven your desire to break free from the rat race. Waking up everyday to an alarm clock. Sitting in rush hour traffic. Avoiding people you don't like at work. Feeling time famine once you're finally home.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
Depends on what you mean by good job. The reason I'm breaking away from working a job is because it wont satisfy my financial and lifestyle needs. I want to eventually invest and live off the interest.

ZaneN22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 21, 2011
In short - it depends

There is no "yes" or "no" answer to this.

I think that having a good job only deters your from the hunger you need to succeed if you don't know what you're hungry about.

I have a great job. It's with a startup and we're going to double our revenues this year and probably 3x or 4x them next year. I have freedom to come in late, leave early if I need, flexibility, it's fun, I'm happy about it.

...BUT... I'm still working salary to make a great living for someone else. It's a good salary for people around my age *note: a few years out of college. The owner is awesome. They want me to succeed just as much as I want to help them succeed.

The reason why I haven't left yet is that I've been struggling to find my passion--my Lambo, my house, my drive to work the late nights and start something on my own.

In this scenario, the great job deterred my hunger to succeed on my own because I enjoy my job.

4 weeks ago, I found what made me hungry! I found my desire. I found the main reason that I wanted to succeed on my own. I wake up tired at 5am because I didn't get to sleep until 1am since I was working for me. This passion caused me to miss dinner a few times. I don't know what made it click like a lightswitch all of the sudden, but it finally hit me.

My drive, my passion, the thing that is fueling me is that I want to travel the World and live in various places around the World. I want to get out of the US, see what else is out there and have incredible experiences. I have a deadline of April 2012 to move out of the United States. That's when my rent is up. I'm going to succeed.

Once I found my passion, there is nothing stopping my hunger to succeed on my own. Even if my salary doubled this year, I would still want to go out and experience the world.

My main goal is a simple $5,000 a month. That's it. That's all I need to live pretty well, without my salary job, and travel around the world. My next big goal is $20,000 a month. Once I achieve the $5,000 a month with steady income, I'm very confident I can spend the time, do the work, and grow to $20,000 a month pretty easily.

The short answer to your question (back to the OP) is:

"Once you find the thing that you truly want, the thing that you're going to work your a** off to achieve, no job is going to deter your hunger."

Once you find that thing, whether you strongly believe you want to buy your parents a house, you want to own a Lambo or Ferrari, you want to Travel the world and not be location dependent, it slaps you in the face. It's a bucket of icy/water being dumped on you while you're in deep sleep. It's day and night difference from "I think I want to do this" to "This is my life's goal. I'm going to make this happen as soon as possible."

Find what your passion, your thing is. Search deep down. It might take years like it took me or you might find it right away. Whatever it is, when you find it, GO AFTER IT!

This is my first post, I realize it's an event. But, I have already taken action. I have already started creating the passive income I need to accomplish my goal.

Best of luck in finding your true passion!

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
My main goal is a simple $5,000 a month. That's it. That's all I need to live pretty well, without my salary job, and travel around the world. My next big goal is $20,000 a month. Once I achieve the $5,000 a month with steady income, I'm very confident I can spend the time, do the work, and grow to $20,000 a month pretty easily.

same here, I cannot afford to leave my job, whatever the book says.

if I can get $5k per month, I'll leave and work full time to expand that amount.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
I guess for us who still have a steady job, it's a good idea to have a figure in mind as to what it will take to allow us to quit our job. Plus expenses the business will incur when it's making that kind of money.

I for one think $5,000 a month is a great goal. Enough for a decent place, food, bills, clothes and savings to ease the stress while you focus on the business.

ZaneN22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 21, 2011
I guess for us who still have a steady job, it's a good idea to have a figure in mind as to what it will take to allow us to quit our job. Plus expenses the business will incur when it's making that kind of money.

I for one think $5,000 a month is a great goal. Enough for a decent place, food, bills, clothes and savings to ease the stress while you focus on the business.

Yeah, that's the reasoning behind my monthly figure to leave the job. Once I do that, I can focus all my energy. Now, it's working part-time to hit $5k a month, then it should be a quick transition to more. I'm actually working on a product right now that will hopefully be more of a 5-figure or 6-figure launch via the internet.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
Yeah, that's the reasoning behind my monthly figure to leave the job. Once I do that, I can focus all my energy. Now, it's working part-time to hit $5k a month, then it should be a quick transition to more. I'm actually working on a product right now that will hopefully be more of a 5-figure or 6-figure launch via the internet.
Good for you! Good-bye job, hello real world!

Best of luck on the launch!:)

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Friends of ours make around $500k+ a year and some even make $1m a year. It definitely dampens the spirit to go out on your own. The highest earners in my circle are either in sales or surgery. They augment their income and net worth by using either investments, businesses, or both.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
Friends of ours make around $500k+ a year and some even make $1m a year. It definitely dampens the spirit to go out on your own. The highest earners in my circle are either in sales or surgery. They augment their income and net worth by using either investments, businesses, or both.
Those are two really good slowlane jobs. Some salespeople just need experience to me making $200k+ a year.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
I think a good job might deter you, but its all about the type of person you are. Not everyone can be in the fastlane, or work for themselves. We need waiters, and waitresses, and cops, and doctors, etc.. Its only the few who have the drive to push through the obstacles that will make it. And ambition a vision and desire probably arent enough.

For me it was almost an epiphany. A series of events that ultimately made me say "screw this, if those other guys can do it, I can too". I was raised poor, and we never had money. We shopped at goodwill, and save alot, and took government assistance almost my whole life. I hated it, but thats what I knew. After we got married, and had a few kids, we were on the same path. Broke, with nothing and hating it.

Fast forward to a few years ago. I had a good job, my wife had started working, and we were doing pretty good. We were looking to buy our house, and our Real estate agent recommended I read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", so I did. It changed the way I thought about money. So I started reading about money, online books, anything. My wife thought I was possessed. We were fine. Making about $60k a year, in a $150k house, life was good. Why bother?

Somewhere along the way, I came up with my "vehicle", the items Im working on getting made now. And I ran across the "Millionare Fastlane", and it clicked. Ive had lots of people, especially my family, tell me its a waste of time. "You already have alot of money", or "we are blue collar people, not businessmen", blah, blah, blah... Granted, we are living a good life. We will make almost $65k this year, Im at a new job, with a more stable company. The bills are paid, and the wife and kids are fed. The rest of my family hates me, because we have a nice life, we are the Jones', and they are all on disability or waiting on checks from the government (thanks Mr President). They continue to make bad decisions, and complain because they have no money.

None of that matters. After reading all I have read, and having been through what Ive been through, Im not stopping. I wont quit till I am able to retire. And by retire I mean, quit working all together. No time clocks, alarm clocks, or paychecks. No boss, no worry, my time is MY time. I want my biggest problem of the day to be which car Im driving.

Ive seen guys with alot of motivation and vision, and determination work hard all their lives, and finish broke with nothing. My Dad worked hard his whole life, and when he died he left nothing but bills. Ive seen guys alot smarter than me, making alot less because of bad decisions. Its not about how much money you are making, or how good your job is. Its about happiness. If your happy in the slow lane, thats fine. We need you there anyway. If you are happy with a high grossing income, and lots of toys, great we need you too. But we also need people who are stupid rich, with more money than they can spend, sitting on a beach or in a fancy house. Someone has to pay the taxes and support the unemployed. Besides, we all need someone to hate.

easymoney99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 3, 2011
Thats a good question

I'd say YES. But not always. My roommate has PHD and works with ion beams and stuff at the national laboratory in my town. He makes great pay at his job but he STILL has this side business idea that he is persuing. But with me, and most people I know, whenever I start to make big money I get really lazy. This is why Im working on self-discipline..

Blacktye6000

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 17, 2011
Washington, DC
This is where I am now!!

The more I read and research, Im confident that I can make it. In the past 5 years Ive transitioned from being a sidewalker to a slowlaner, now I'm taking my leap to the fastlane.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Yesssss. It's the very reason why I plan to quit my job making 80k year at the end of the year to focus on my ventures. Until I quit this F*cking job, I will never be able to go at full speed and be free.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
A good job makes you comfortable. 1 more year turns into 10 then 20 then 50 then by the time you realize it, you've traded your whole life for a paycheck and now you're retired and you've got a bit of money in your retirement fund, but not enough to retire on so you work as a walmart greeter. sad life.

AcquireCurrency

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 20, 2011
I just started an apprenticeship within the manufacturing industry, and what I have learnt within my first month working there is priceless.

I love my job, and fortunatley I am working in an industry where I am going to start a business once I have the funds to do so.

At this moment in time I run a small Amazon store and am looking into creating a larger mail order company by the end of the month.

EDIT: The most important thing is that you are happy.

With my job I will have business trips abroad every 6-8 months and will experience alot, which is great for an 18yr old.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.