The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does Andrew Mason missed his chance with Groupon?

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
I want to discuss this with You, guys.

7 months ago, Andrew Mason (Groupon owner) refused to sell his flagship for 6 bilion dollars to Google. Only on the USA market You can find 425 similiar companies and Groupon consecutively looses his part of the cake.

It's obvious that this company broke commandment of entry - as we can see, so I won't bother. The question is: while money from coming IPO can be even 15 bilion - those aren't for sure. So, did he missed his chance to cash it?

And what would You do on his place? Sure 6 bilion in cash or gamble for 15?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I want to discuss this with You, guys.

7 months ago, Andrew Mason (Groupon owner) refused to sell his flagship for 6 bilion dollars to Google. Only on the USA market You can find 425 similiar companies and Groupon consecutively looses his part of the cake.

It's obvious that this company broke commandment of entry - as we can see, so I won't bother. The question is: while money from coming IPO can be even 15 bilion - those aren't for sure. So, did he missed his chance to cash it?

And what would You do on his place? Sure 6 bilion in cash or gamble for 15?

If Groupon IPOs soon they will get a higher valuation than LinkedIn so a 15 billion post-IPO valuation is better than a 6 billion buyout from Google. He'd be stupid if he didn't IPO now because facebook deals and google deals will eat into his business not to mention all the other daily deals copy cats like Living Social. If I was him, I think I would have taken the 6 billion buyout offer from Google.

For one thing, that's a lot of money to turn down; I think I would need a rag for all my drool. Secondly, GroupOn could have had a much better chance of survival long term if Google had bought them out rather than to go it alone. So, Mason could have got his payday and still remained the CEO for many more years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.