The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you know what this is without me saying? (Kickstarter campaign)

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
Launching a Kickstarter in a couple days. My question is referring to the thumbnail we will be using.

Do you know what the product is?

Does this picture "stand out" or is it boring?

Would you click the campaign based on the thumbnail? A7ABBF97-A8C4-47F2-B572-E84068067036.jpeg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
You need to draw more attention to the actual product. I think blurring a lot more of the picture would help.

The problem is that everything is the same color. Everything is black or gray so nothing stands out.

I think having someone edit the 45lb weights to be a silver color would help your product stand out. And having someone brighten up your product while blurring and dimming more of the rest of the picture.

But to answer your question, yes I could figure out what your product is without you saying it but only because you asked me to. Otherwise I would have kept scrolling before I noticed what your product is.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
You need to draw more attention to the actual product. I think blurring a lot more of the picture would help.

The problem is that everything is the same color. Everything is black or gray so nothing stands out.

I think having someone edit the 45lb weights to be a silver color would help your product stand out. And having someone brighten up your product while blurring and dimming more of the rest of the picture.

But to answer your question, yes I could figure out what your product is without you saying it but only because you asked me to. Otherwise I would have kept scrolling before I noticed what your product is.
That is what I was worried about! Thank you so much!

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
At first I assumed it was the clamp, but then I noticed the dumbbell attached to it, which I've never seen before. I'm assuming that's the product (2-in-1)?

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
No idea what the product would be, weights? dumbbell? barbell?

Everything is black and really had to focus to notice the dumbbell plugged to the barbell
Thank you for responding. Very helpful!

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
At first I assumed it was the clamp, but then I noticed the dumbbell attached to it, which I've never seen before. I'm assuming that's the product (2-in-1)?
The product is the dumbbell being attached but if you didn't get that at first glance then neither will other people I'm assuming. Thank you for your input!

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Draw fluorescent lines around the dumbbell or something. Maybe as an animated gif. You definitely need to show it more.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Draw fluorescent lines around the dumbbell or something. Maybe as an animated gif. You definitely need to show it more.
Or use green or red bumper plates to contrast the black.

That aside, I'm not sure I get the product's value prop

Why would I want this as opposed to just adding another plate?

For context, I'm asking as someone who has worked out in 3-4 different weightlifting modalities (power lifting, oly lifting, crossfit, and cross training) over the past 15 years and I have a complete home gym in my house.

Last edited:

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
Or use green or red bumper plates to contrast the black.

That aside, I'm not sure I get the product's value prop

Why on would I want this as opposed to just adding another plate?

For context, I'm asking as someone who has worked out in 3-4 different weightlifting modalities (power lifting, oly lifting, crossfit, and cross training) over the past 15 years and I have a complete home gym in my house.
Thank you! Yes I agree that I now need to figure out a way to make it "pop out"

so to answer your next question: where I am it has been hard to find weights. If you could find them on fb or anywhere local people would up the price so much it was ridiculous. This just lets you use your handheld weights as barbell plates.

We had a set of adjustable dumbbells and with that you basically have a whole set of barbell plates. I guess this lets you utilize what you have already and saves you money instead of trying to bargain or wait for plates.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Thank you! Yes I agree that I now need to figure out a way to make it "pop out"

so to answer your next question: where I am it has been hard to find weights. If you could find them on fb or anywhere local people would up the price so much it was ridiculous. This just lets you use your handheld weights as barbell plates.

We had a set of adjustable dumbbells and with that you basically have a whole set of barbell plates. I guess this lets you utilize what you have already and saves you money instead of trying to bargain or wait for plates.
Fair point. I could see getting one set of 45s or something then using this to add weight to the bar with your existing dumbbells.

In that case, you may want to add a lightweight, but sturdy plate to your catalog that can be used to bring the bar up off the ground when using only dumbbells.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
I don't think kickstarter allows gifs or any type of animation for their campaigns. (They honestly should though! That's a great idea) but I understand what you're saying. Thank you!

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
Fair point. I could see getting one set of 45s or something then using this to add weight to the bar with your existing dumbbells.

In that case, you may want to add a lightweight, but sturdy plate to your catalog that can be used to bring the bar up off the ground when using only dumbbells.
Very good point! Thank you for your input!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
unless the photo is being used ironically, as in..

"Running facebook ads without retargeting pixels is about as smart as duct taping a dumbbell to a barbell you're trying to deadlift. With our software and courses, you'll be making serious business 'gains'. Click the link to check it out."

Then it looks like a bad idea imo.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
unless the photo is being used ironically, as in..

"Running facebook ads without retargeting pixels is about as smart as duct taping a dumbbell to a barbell you're trying to deadlift. With our software and courses, you'll be making serious business 'gains'. Click the link to check it out."

Then it looks like a bad idea imo.
I'm not sure I know what you mean? This will be the pic I was planning on using as the thumbnail needed for kickstarter. But with the input I am planning on changing it to something else that will help make it pop a little more

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I'm not sure I know what you mean? This will be the pic I was planning on using as the thumbnail needed for kickstarter. But with the input I am planning on changing it to something else that will help make it pop a little more
is your kickstarter idea a strap that attaches dumbbells to barbells?...

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
is your kickstarter idea a strap that attaches dumbbells to barbells?...
Oooh. It's not a strap. It's made of steel and can support up to 500 lbs each piece. Safe, quick to add and take off weights, and made to last.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Oooh. It's not a strap. It's made of steel and can support up to 500 lbs each piece. Safe, quick to add and take off weights, and made to last.
I would definitely recommend getting a photo of the steel piece by itself. I assumed it was a strap too, even squinting at the photo.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
I think it's a neat product - I've considered getting something like that. I've got adjustable dumbbells, and if I could mount them to a bar that'd open up a lot of new movements for me.

Personally: it looks like a dude deadlifting at the gym. Your product, which can technically serve the function of the weight plates and open up more versatility with a host of dumbbells your customer might already have, is hidden behind the shadow of the plate which you would replace with your product.

I would focus on Olympic barbell movements, but instead using your dumbbells.

Maybe a photo using small weights to do front squats or lunges - and have a photo with possibly 2 sets of weights mounted for a back squat.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
I would definitely recommend getting a photo of the steel piece by itself. I assumed it was a strap too, even squinting at the photo.
do you think a pic of the steel piece would be enough for people to understand what the product is?

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
I think it's a neat product - I've considered getting something like that. I've got adjustable dumbbells, and if I could mount them to a bar that'd open up a lot of new movements for me.

Personally: it looks like a dude deadlifting at the gym. Your product, which can technically serve the function of the weight plates and open up more versatility with a host of dumbbells your customer might already have, is hidden behind the shadow of the plate which you would replace with your product.

I would focus on Olympic barbell movements, but instead using your dumbbells.

Maybe a photo using small weights to do front squats or lunges - and have a photo with possibly 2 sets of weights mounted for a back squat.
great suggestion! I will definitely take that into consideration. I should be shooting more shots today so ill get some of those for sure.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Very interesting, I can see some value here as the dumbells do double-duty and is more efficient.

Let us know how the kickstarter goes. I think colorizing the clamp with something neon will make it stand out.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
Very interesting, I can see some value here as the dumbells do double-duty and is more efficient.

Let us know how the kickstarter goes. I think colorizing the clamp with something neon will make it stand out.
Thank you for your response! I will definitely keep you updated on the progress. As far as my original question, looks like I need to make it pop a little more and stand out. Had some great suggestions so definitely got what I needed!

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
do you think a pic of the steel piece would be enough for people to understand what the product is?
Not on its own. For an attention grabber, the one photo that draws people into the campaign, my instinct would be to either use the neon-ized photo of the object in use, or maybe a composite photo showing it in use, and with the object itself shown in isolation somehow. But test that... people looking at your art and saying "so it's a solar powered pet collar for swans?" is the best thing that can happen... they'll save you money by telling you all the unexpected ways a person can interpret the photo.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
Not on its own. For an attention grabber, the one photo that draws people into the campaign, my instinct would be to either use the neon-ized photo of the object in use, or maybe a composite photo showing it in use, and with the object itself shown in isolation somehow. But test that... people looking at your art and saying "so it's a solar powered pet collar for swans?" is the best thing that can happen... they'll save you money by telling you all the unexpected ways a person can interpret the photo.
Love the advice! Thank you!

FlyingDutchman

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 17, 2020
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Adding an additional (brightly colored) product on the floor will help me understand what it is you're selling.
That way, you have 1 item 'in action' and 1 'to display'. Both in a different color (or shade, if you don't offer a bright palette of colors), making them stand out and giving the client a clear goal/object to look at.

kpoa

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 9, 2020
Adding an additional (brightly colored) product on the floor will help me understand what it is you're selling.
That way, you have 1 item 'in action' and 1 'to display'. Both in a different color (or shade, if you don't offer a bright palette of colors), making them stand out and giving the client a clear goal/object to look at.
Love it! thank you for your advice

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
Launching a Kickstarter in a couple days. My question is referring to the thumbnail we will be using.

Would you click the campaign based on the thumbnail? View attachment 36812
Is the product holding the barbell to the bar?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Would you click the campaign based on the thumbnail? View attachment 36812
Looking at the pic again your product would be much clearer with just better lighting. Why is it in the shadows?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.