The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you have Aphantasia? What's your number?

What's your number?

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 1-2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-6

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 7-8

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Yes, there are levels to aphantasia. Here's a typical example of an apple seen by different minds. The average mind is around level 3.

1637486356510.png

Reaching level 1 requires training. Our brain, with its energy-saving behavior, has no need to perfectly recall how an apple looks. It only stores enough information to make you recognize an apple when you see one.

It's why drawing from imagination is impossible as a novice (sans gifted individuals). You need to build up your visual library through observation beforehand.

I don't know if you can train yourself out of aphantasia. Probably?

Last edited:

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Slightly off topic but I had a friend in college who was a very talented artist. He had an internship back home at a police station because he thought using his artistic skills to catch criminals was the closest thing he would ever to do become Batman. During his practice, he needed to ask people about scars, hair color, eye color, skin color, even gender. Most of the time he got 'I don't know' as the answers. Which proves, like the statistics show most eye witness testimony is completely wrong. He said unless the perp knew the victim, it was very unlikely that a police sketch would help in any way.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Wow! I had no idea you people could just conjure up vivid images in your minds LOL.

I definitely have aphantasia.

When I read a fiction book, the scene, the setting, the activities are all related to something I have seen or done. I, without thinking about it, assign something similar that I have seen to it, and I don’t really see anything, I just kind of put it there and think about everything from that perspective.

If you tell me to think about an airplane for instance, the first thing that comes to mind is a United jet sitting at a gate at IAH. I don’t see shit, but I think of the setting, and know how it looks, only because I have seen it before.

Wow. That’s crazy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Seems like I probably have aphantasia. A good video here:
View: https://youtu.be/ewsGmhAjjjI

Basically, I’m unable to “see” images in my mind. For example, imagine you’re back in class and the teacher says, “Close your eyes and picture an apple”. Apparently most people will be able to see an apple in their mind. For me, it’s just black. Sure, I know that an apple is red, it’s circular, etc., but I only know those things because I’ve seen an apple before. I’m not actually able to picture the color red or an apple.

Definitely didn’t think people could actually “see” themselves on a beach or see an apple vividly in their mind.

I am able to recall my dreams from time to time because they’re like memories. But ask me if I can picture a family member in my mind and I wouldn't be able to.

Anybody else?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Basically, I’m unable to “see” images in my mind. For example, imagine you’re back in class and the teacher says, “Close your eyes and picture an apple”. Apparently most people will be able to see an apple in their mind. For me, it’s just black. Sure, I know that an apple is red, it’s circular, etc., but I only know those things because I’ve seen an apple before. I’m not actually able to picture the color red or an apple.

Definitely didn’t think people could actually “see” themselves on a beach or see an apple vividly in their mind.

I am able to recall my dreams from time to time because they’re like memories. But ask me if I can picture a family member in my mind and I wouldn't be able to.

Anybody else?
I can definitely do this, but it’s weaker than in the past. I believe reading fiction as a kid helped develop this for me (the mind’s eye), and would improve it if I started reading more fiction again. Maybe you should try that and see?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I pulled this out of the Random Chat thread, seems like a great topic.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I thought 0 was better than 1? I'm confused on what the numbers mean.

10 means you see vivid, detailed images.
0 means you see nothing.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You know, I don’t think I could tell a sketch artist how to draw my own wife and have it turn out looking like her. I’m not kidding. I always wondered how the hell someone could give details like that about someone that attacked them.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I can remember certain events but I always find it fascinating how people in autobiographies seem to be able to recall conversations. Or maybe they're inventing them as I can't believe you can remember the exact words someone spoke, say, 20 years ago.
See, I would be able to do that.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
As explained in this text by this text by Harold Speed's "The Art and Science of Drawing",
the faculty of sight is severely neglected in most people for the sake of utilitarian purposes.

Also, there are two faculties of "sight":
1: Touch - The sense of form as associated by our sense of touch
2: Vision - The sense of flat shapes on our retina as associted by our vision

Every object you see, you can also feel the form.
And every object you see has a certain shape and color.

To really understand how visual memory works, you gotta understand this.
For how can you see things in your mind, when you don't understand what you see outside of your mind?

Read these pages for a better understanding.

Attachments

• The_practice___science_of_drawing___Speed__Harold__b__1873___Free_Download__Borrow__and_Stream...png
    The_practice___science_of_drawing___Speed__Harold__b__1873___Free_Download__Borrow__and_Stream...png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • The_practice___science_of_drawing___Speed__Harold__b__1873___Free_Download__Borrow__and_Stream...png
    The_practice___science_of_drawing___Speed__Harold__b__1873___Free_Download__Borrow__and_Stream...png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
    1 MB · Views: 5

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I can do that. But I think there may be levels to it.

For example, when reading fiction I can't imagine characters based on their descriptions. I usually have zero idea how these characters look. If I have any idea how they look, it's maybe just one feature like skin color and definitely not super specific things like eye color, hair length, etc.

This is probably weird coming from a writer but I've never been able to create in my mind new faces, no matter how much detail is provided. Same with meeting new people - even if I spend an hour or two with you, I won't be able to imagine your face afterward. I'll then worry that if we meet again, I won't recognize you.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
For example, when reading fiction I can't imagine characters based on their descriptions. I usually have zero idea how these characters look. If I have any idea how they look, it's maybe just one feature like skin color and definitely not super specific things like eye color, hair length, etc.

Find better authors! :rofl:

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
I can do that. But I think there may be levels to it.

This is probably weird coming from a writer but I've never been able to create in my mind new faces, no matter how much detail is provided. Same with meeting new people - even if I spend an hour or two with you, I won't be able to imagine your face afterward. I'll then worry that if we meet again, I won't recognize you.
I'm the exact same way with faces. (And I'm a writer... So don't feel bad!)

I recognize people by a collection of factors not including their face, such as their hairstyle, their hair color, the way they walk, the sound of their voice, the clothing they are wearing, and the context I meet them in.

New people are extremely challenging for me, because I know I'm going to have massive difficulty recognizing them later, and it's embarrassing. I've had people who stayed at my house that I didn't recognize later when I saw them in a different context. There was this one guy I saw repeatedly in a group setting, and the only way I could figure out which one was him was to look for the bright blue tennis shoes he always wore. If he wasn't wearing those shoes, it was hopeless.

In every other category, my "mind's eye" gives me rich, detailed, vivid imagery, with full color and texture and "zoom-in-ability" to the things I want to imagine.

But with faces, it's like my mind only logs level 4 on that sequence of apples. This is true even if I'm desperately trying to focus on what someone looks like so that I can remember it enough to recognize them later. It's like it just won't record.

[Edit: This post was originally in the random chats thread. At the bottom of this post, I had included some replies to other posts in that thread that don't make sense here. So to reduce confusion, I deleted those bits from this post.]

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
What about memories? Do y'all remember specific scenes of past events in your head?

What's interesting to me is that successful entrepreneurs can fall anywhere on this. Maybe this helps with doing some kinds of art - but it isn't going to make or break your overall business prospects.

I can remember certain events but I always find it fascinating how people in autobiographies seem to be able to recall conversations. Or maybe they're inventing them as I can't believe you can remember the exact words someone spoke, say, 20 years ago.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I think both probably happen.

There are specific conversations I can remember that long ago, because they were in very memorable moments. You know how some memories replay in your head over and over, or stick with you for a long time? But remembering every conversation of every day? No way, that's gotta be impossible - we're talking thousands of days. Hard drive = full.

But I'm sure a lot of embellishment happens...people like that stuff.

Still, there are always those weird random memories etched in your brain. Like a specific toy I was playing with in a specific room when I was probably around age 3 or 4. IDK why, but that moment was big to me. Or first time I kissed a girl, sometime during middle school (LOL).

Or one time, when my brother was a very small child and he made the most clever joke - that was really remarkable. Still remember.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
@MJ DeMarco can you add a poll for people to vote on their number?

Im going to look into taking a course on this, I didn’t realise it was something that could be improved.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco can you add a poll for people to vote on their number?

Im going to look into taking a course on this, I didn’t realise it was something that could be improved.

Poll added, I'm a 5-6.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

You know, I don’t think I could tell a sketch artist how to draw my own wife and have it turn out looking like her. I’m not kidding. I always wondered how the hell someone could give details like that about someone that attacked them.
I think that’s harder because you’re describing someone with words... it’s almost a different ability, but I guess you would need both?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think that’s harder because you’re describing someone with words... it’s almost a different ability, but I guess you would need both?
I don’t have a mental picture to pull from. More like a dictionary definition.

Recognizing people is easy though for some reason, I guess it’s rooted in memory.

At the same time, I have a good memory particularly of what people say and the specific way they say it.

Last edited:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I can imagine pretty much anything. Is how I picture my products before any sketch is done and also how I go to sleep every night.

There’s times when I have a hard time picturing what I have in mind when I’m not sure of the shape etc, but pushing through usually ups the pixels, so to say. :rofl:

I do have sort of a photogenic memory but not to a great extent where I can see a document for one second and re write it perfectly.
Years ago I started developing a “sorting process” in my mind.

I needed a place I know very well so I chosen the house I grew up in.
I sort memories in document holders in there and I can pretty much browse through them.

This helps me remember things.

And no, I’m not on drugs nor crazy :rofl::rofl:

A psychologist (I think??) developed this and the author of Silence of the Lambs used the concept to develop Hannibal Lecter’s character.

So of course, being the wicked cool (No I was a dork.. a sad moody dork) teenager I was I immediately spent the next week of my life creating my own “Mind Palace” to store my memories in, so I could recall them at any time! Yay me!

I don’t know if it’s cuz I was a girl or because I clearly had issues.. (I’m gonna go with both) but I spent a WEEK making the outside of the palace like super complex and impossible to get into, except for me, (WTF?!? It’s MY OWN MIND!!) and then I just imagined the biggest old-fashioned library in the world for the inside.

So to this day.. I have vivid memories of “putting” important facts in drawers but not what the facts actually were?!?Ffs!

And when I try to remember things they’re always connected to stuff that other people don’t understand but for me.. they make sense.

I’m a 2 on that scale. Thanks for the free therapy, I feel lighter. Lmfao.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
A psychologist (I think??) developed this and the author of Silence of the Lambs used the concept to develop Hannibal Lecter’s character.

So of course, being the wicked cool (No I was a dork.. a sad moody dork) teenager I was I immediately spent the next week of my life creating my own “Mind Palace” to store my memories in, so I could recall them at any time! Yay me!

I don’t know if it’s cuz I was a girl or because I clearly had issues.. (I’m gonna go with both) but I spent a WEEK making the outside of the palace like super complex and impossible to get into, except for me, (WTF?!? It’s MY OWN MIND!!) and then I just imagined the biggest old-fashioned library in the world for the inside.

So to this day.. I have vivid memories of “putting” important facts in drawers but not what the facts actually were?!?Ffs!

And when I try to remember things they’re always connected to stuff that other people don’t understand but for me.. they make sense.

I’m a 2 on that scale. Thanks for the free therapy, I feel lighter. Lmfao.
Use a place you’re familiar with. Then there’s no work on the “palace” and you can focus on the “documents”

Then it’s just the same as remembering where you stored things in real life.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Wow! I had no idea you people could just conjure up vivid images in your minds LOL.

I definitely have aphantasia.

When I read a fiction book, the scene, the setting, the activities are all related to something I have seen or done. I, without thinking about it, assign something similar that I have seen to it, and I don’t really see anything, I just kind of put it there and think about everything from that perspective.

If you tell me to think about an airplane for instance, the first thing that comes to mind is a United jet sitting at a gate at IAH. I don’t see shit, but I think of the setting, and know how it looks, only because I have seen it before.

Wow. That’s crazy.

My experience realizing this was eerily similar. Especially with fiction books.
If the imagery is SUPER strong (lamppost in Lion Witch& Wardrobe), I will see that... but nothing else.

A few years ago, a friend was talking about driving directions - and he said 'ok, I've got it mapped out'
I asked him, bewildered "do you have a picture of the route in your mind or something"

He looked at me, equally bewildered. "Yeah, of course"

I didn't realize people pictured things in their minds. I always thought it was mostly blank, like me.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Guys, I don't think it's about literally "seeing" with your eyes closed.

I don't see anything when I close my eyes. It's just dark.

But I can picture an apple in my mind easily, even with my eyes wide open. I can also picture its texture, the kitchen, the table it's sitting on, all of the colors.

I can also replay videos or movies in my mind when I focus. But I don't "see" them.

So yeah, if you tell me that people can literally see the things they imagine when they close their eyes right in front of them, I'd be mind blown as well. But I doubt that.

Oh, and..

Were none of you able to masturbate without porn when you were teens by just imagining what that girl/guy in your class would look like naked/you having sex with them?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have a question for those with aphantasia: can you visually recall a memory? And if yes, can you modify/add objects to it?

For example, let's say you spent a lovely Sunday with your significant other. Can you recall it and change their clothes' color? Or picture them with a hat?
Not visually, but, I can think about what it was like. It’s still a memory. Just not visual.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Anybody else?
I cannot do this either and when I can I have terrible control over it.

I remember reading think and grow rich where he is talking about imagining you are sitting at a table talking to all your mentors in your mind, it blew me away that anyone could possibly do that

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I had no idea this was such a big thing. I thought everyone could picture anything...just with enough concentration and avoiding other distractions! (I'm not sure what the numbers mean)

I remember reading Harry Potter as a kid and picturing the giant hall, the floating candle sticks, and being in awe. Then the first movie came out and I was like "wow, this is a movie that actually resembles the book!! That sure is rare."

Then there was Eragon, where the characters in the movie looked nothing like they did in the book, based on their descriptions.

I also was into drawing from imagination from an early age. I couldn't understand why other people had a hard time drawing things. They could write so neatly, yet they couldn't draw simple objects??

Now I'm scared of losing this. Guess I'd better read more fiction.

(oh and because this sounds like tons of bragging, I will add that my memory for finishing a mental math problem is crap. Don't ask me why I chose engineering - drawing just didn't meet the "Need" requirement)

Last edited by a moderator:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I’m a #1. I can clearly remember and visualize the color of an apple in my mind.

Your mind creates the response to the wave length of light that hits your eye. Then your brain chooses what to keep and what to throw out.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

What about memories? Do y'all remember specific scenes of past events in your head?

What's interesting to me is that successful entrepreneurs can fall anywhere on this. Maybe this helps with doing some kinds of art - but it isn't going to make or break your overall business prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Interesting, I thought I was one of a few.

I have this scale of 1-5 (1 being best), I am a 5 on that scale.

I actually invested a LOT of time (2 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 4-5 months) effectively trying to get to 1.
It was humbling, as it was in a class with mostly young kids with reading disabilities.

But I went in every day and did the work.

--
If you press me now (ie, I HAVE to do it, I can get to 4)
But, for the most part, 99% of my week, is at 5.

I think it's one of the reasons I speak (and type) the way I do. In fragments.
That's how it comes to me. There is no big picture, no big puzzle. Just pieces.

(edit: I inverted the scale, @thechosen1 pointed it out - so updating post here , a day later)

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.