The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do I show my wireframe to prospective users?

millerad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 5, 2017
Gilbert, Arizona
I am working on developing an App, we are still a few months out. Is it a good idea to show users the wireframe that we showed to the developers. On one hand, this could help users see the features of the App; on the other it could harm our future image. What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ColbyG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 19, 2017
Newcastle, Australia
I'm in the process of a making an app for a small local community I've built on Facebook, and I've released a few screenshots to get people interested and talking about it. I've also gotten some very early feedback on features they want included, which I'm able to implement in my first release (in a couple of weeks). That is the extent of my very limited experience. I'm sure guys on here with tonnes of experience will have more solid opinions on the matter.

surfer92

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jun 17, 2016
I would recommend you select a few people to come and do a paper prototype with them. You can gain some good feedback and see how users are going to interact with your app.

PersistentlyHungry

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Mar 25, 2017
Israel
In my experience, it really depends on the customer.
If when talking to your customer, you pick up on his ability to imagine, and to see the bigger picture - then, showing your wireframes could help by reassuring them that you are on the same page.
Otherwise, it would do more harm than good.
If you have any designs which are static (as opposed to interactive naked wireframes) yet are visually appealing, that would be a better option to show them.

millerad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 5, 2017
Gilbert, Arizona
I would recommend you select a few people to come and do a paper prototype with them. You can gain some good feedback and see how users are going to interact with your app.
I like this idea. I will have to find a test group. Maybe our early adopters.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I am working on developing an App, we are still a few months out. Is it a good idea to show users the wireframe that we showed to the developers. On one hand, this could help users see the features of the App; on the other it could harm our future image. What do you think?

I've worked for three SaaS companies and have experience doing this type of thing.

You have two options.

1. Put it in front of a select group of people.

Create a group of 10-12 people. Call them champions. Don't give it to them for free though (unless the entire thing is free anyway). Put screenshots infront of them and gather feedback. Dig into their pains. Then get some prototypes built and get them on a screens hare and watch them use it. Check in about once per week as you build it out.

Works best for B2B web apps.

2. Build MVP and iterate upon design with real traffic

This is where you want to use tools like heat maps, click tracking, live recordings, and on-site surveys. Hotjar is your best friend for this. If it's a mobile app then I'm not sure if you can go through route though as I have only dealt with web apps and websites.

This tends to work for sites that get a lot of users so you can make some statistically significant decisions, like B2C sites. Can be expensive and you better know what you're doing.

Personally, I like option #2 because I don't like having meetings with people all of the time (not a people person). But if I were low on funds and couldn't do option #2 for technical reasons then I'd go with #1. It works.

Read a little about product management and UX design.

This site is pretty good. Read whatever Marty Cagan has to say about this stuff.
Silicon Valley Product Group || Silicon Valley Product Group

And take it serious. This is one of the most important phases of the process.

Bugs Bunny

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Aug 18, 2017
Sunnyvale CA
I have taken a few online courses in UX Design on creativelive. I have also signed up for Alan Cooper's 3 day UX Design workshop. It is in october in SF. Wireframes are useful to get the flow right. You must stay on the low-fidelity as long as possible, fix issues and refine your design. This means gradually going from paper prototype, static wireframes, interactive wireframes, static mockups and interactive mockups. Ideally you want your prospective customers to be involved throughout the development of your product. Getting quick feedback is essential to avoid wasting money on development. I will be glad to take a look at your stuff after I complete my 3 day workshop.

millerad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 5, 2017
Gilbert, Arizona
I have taken a few online courses in UX Design on creativelive. I have also signed up for Alan Cooper's 3 day UX Design workshop. It is in october in SF. Wireframes are useful to get the flow right. You must stay on the low-fidelity as long as possible, fix issues and refine your design. This means gradually going from paper prototype, static wireframes, interactive wireframes, static mockups and interactive mockups. Ideally you want your prospective customers to be involved throughout the development of your product. Getting quick feedback is essential to avoid wasting money on development. I will be glad to take a look at your stuff after I complete my 3 day workshop.
I appreciate your feedback. You will have to let me know when you get that done and I will show you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.