The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do I have to leave my job when I receive seed funding?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Maria Lucero

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Oct 4, 2015
(I apologise if my questions are basic)
When people receive seed funding for their start-up, do they generally quit their day job immediately? If I were in the fortunate position of receiving seed funding, I would prefer to hold on to my day job and work all other available hours on the project until perhaps the next round of funding. The benefit to the investors is myself and the other founders would not require any form of salary, not even the standard $50k.

Has anyone received seed funding before and remained at their day job?

Thank you, Maria

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

I would worry about this when I get there.

Are you at the stage where you have a product in production or are you currently offering a service that you are looking to expand? If not then it doesn't really matter.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You need to be all in with seed funding, investors dont give you money so you can work 40 hours a week somewhere else. They want you to work 70 hours on the business

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
You could probably keep doing your day job after you received seed funding. But the question is, why would you want to? If you're really excited about your idea then you should be excited about being able to live lean and pursue it full time. Good luck!

AntEmpire

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 4, 2015
It doesn't sound like you're 'all in' on your business. If someone gave me seed money my resignation letter would be left smoking on my boss' desk. That's how fast I would turn it in. If someone gives you seed money it means they believe in your idea, yet you don't believe in it enough to quit your day job and go all in?

Maria Lucero

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Oct 4, 2015
Thank you everyone for your input. You have given me food for thought.

chriss.greig

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Nov 16, 2014
The only thing that is required is results. If you set goals.. communicate them to your investors and hit those goals it doesnt matter how many hours you work or if you have another job.

I think a lot of people assume you have a shackled job that you dont like. (You may love your job)

If you are an important part of your current employers business you would be amazed what can be negotiated.

The only safe assumption is that the rules you imagine in your head simply arent true.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.