The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Dividend Stock Investing Question

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
I'm about to get into dividend stock investing. I'm going to give a simple example for my question.

A stock cost $20 a share and pays a 2% dividend that gets paid out quarterly. I buy one share for $20. Will I get 0.03 cents every 3 months or 0.09 cents every 3 months?

Thanks guys! With the market falling, now's the time to hop in while everything's on sale. So I'm gonna learn this stuff!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I'm about to get into dividend stock investing. I'm going to give a simple example for my question.

A stock cost $20 a share and pays a 2% dividend that gets paid out quarterly. I buy one share for $20. Will I get 0.40 cents every 3 months or $1.20 every 3 months?

Thanks guys! With the market falling, now's the time to hop in while everything's on sale. So I'm gonna learn this stuff!
A 2% dividend paid quarterly on a $20 stock is 10 cents per quarter.

2% on $20 = 40 cents, quarterly is 10 cents. So your calculations are way off. $1.60 per year on a $20 stock is an 8% yield.

Also, the stock price will decrease by 10c on the x-dividend date, making the entire transaction seem like a wash.

now's the time to hop in while everything's on sale.
I'm not seeing a lot of stuff on sale unless it is oil related, and some retail. Some tech stocks are still trading at sky high valuations.

OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019

2% on $20 = 40 cents, quarterly is 10 cents.

Also, the stock price will decrease by 10c on the x-dividend date, making the entire transaction seem like a wash.

I'm not seeing a lot of stuff on sale unless it is oil related, and some retail. Some tech stocks are still trading at sky high valuations.
Right on thank you MJ! That makes total sense. Now I get it. I was over complicating it. I'm gonna look into Southern Company and others for my basket.
I can't wait for Unscripted 2!

Last edited:

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey

2% on $20 = 40 cents, quarterly is 10 cents. So your calculations are way off. $1.60 per year on a $20 stock is an 8% yield.

Take a look at $newt

(not pumping btw - pays a nice div)

OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
Right on thank you MJ! That makes total sense. Now I get it. I was over complicating it. I'm gonna look into Southern Company and others for my basket.
I can't wait for Unscripted 2!
One more question if you don't mind. With all the easy investing apps like Robinhood and M1 finance, I'm a little leary due to their newness. Would you recommend a Charles Schwab type brokerage for safety because they've been at it for decades? Thanks again MJ! Not sure if you remember me. I'm the apartment maintenance man who built the training website after reading MFL.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Would you recommend a Charles Schwab type brokerage for safety because they've been at it for decades?
Yes, TDAmeritrade, Think or Swim is awesome, been using them for 2+ decades.

Robinhood and all these fin-tech places were proven to be unreliable in the last crash.

Thanks again MJ! Not sure if you remember me.
Sure do!

Reactions: Roz
OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
Yes, TDAmeritrade, Think or Swim is awesome, been using them for 2+ decades.

Robinhood and all these fin-tech places were proven to be unreliable in the last crash.

Sure do!
Right on! TD Ameritrade it is. So, I'm slowly unscripting and I'm able to work only 3 days a week instead of 5. I can't freaking believe it! Next goal is to go full-time on MY dreams. I'm chunking it down. During this whole shut down ordeal, subscribers, views and revenue actually went up. However, I'll still be able to go part time once things settle back down. Sorry I'm not able to contribute more in here. It's just that I'm too nice and I have to answer everyone and read everything. I was spending hours in here reading and it cut into my hustle time. I'm still in the trenches grinding it out and had to cut myself off. lol Thank you MJ!

Last edited:

DURABLEOILCOM

New Contributor
Oct 25, 2012
Right on! TD Ameritrade it is. So, I'm slowly unscripting and I'm able to work only 3 days a week instead of 5. I can't freaking believe it! Next goal is to go full-time on MY dreams. I'm chunking it down. During this whole shut down ordeal, subscribers, views and revenue actually went up. However, I'll still be able to go part time once things settle back down. Sorry I'm not able to contribute more in here. It's just that I'm too nice and I have to answer everyone and read everything. I was spending hours in here reading and it cut into my hustle time. I'm still in the trenches grinding it out and had to cut myself off. lol Thank you MJ!
Which stocks did you end up investing in?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Not in the sense of literally fighting but in a form of encouragement, you got this, all for the...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
After going through this thread, I believe the biggest fear of people on the fence is all about...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock