The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Diplomat looking to start an international export trade.

exporttoberlin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
May 15, 2016
Dear readers,

I am a diplomat who is currently putting together an export business plan. My wife works for the German Federal Foreign office. Which means we would have to move to a new country every 3/4 years. Which is exciting but also not fun when trying to operate a business with a permanent set up base or office. I intend to start exporting German manufactured products. I am however also a British citizen and have banking facilities there as well as Germany.
My question is...

How could I set up an export business knowing I would move every 3/4 years?

Where would I be able to base my business as registered place of operation? I do prefer Germany if possible.

Thank you for help

Turan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

exporttoberlin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
May 15, 2016
When you say 3/4 years - do you mean three fourths of a year. Or 3 to 4 years?

If you have 3 to 4 years before you have to move, just hustle, tell the German foreign office to f*ck off, and live in whatever country you feel you need to in order to operate your business.
Was not the reply I was looking for but thanks for your contribution. I will be moving every 4 years. So 4 years 1 country and then another. I am afraid I cannot tell them to sod off because they are the reason I and my wife get to see the world and have protection from the German Goverment.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hello Turan

99% you would simply register a company in Germany. An accountant will more than likely confirm this to be 100%. This will be the parent company which will always be static.

Whichever country you are located in you can set up a local office to import or simply locate a local distributor to import once you are in situ.

I wont write more on this as a German Accountant will tell you in less than 1 hour.

I am guessing that you don't plan on manufacturing but you wish to export German products already manufactured by other companies. Is that correct?

I am going to talk UK now and you can work out the German equivalent ok?

The Department for International Trade has Trade Officers in every consulate and Embassy around the world. They each cover different areas eg Consumer Retail, Manufacturing and Engineering, etc etc and their sole task is to identify import/export opportunities and network with those companies.

So the one in Chicago for example will work at high level with the big businesses in Chicago and see what they want and vice versa what they have that maybe the UK wants. A lot of wining and dining is conducted. You will know this yourself whatever level you are within the German Embassy/Consulate you will be sent to.

These are Administrative roles obviously and like all Administrators are writing these import/export opportunities up into reports.

You Turan want to get hold of these reports when you arrive to see what the local country you are in want. Then you make an easy call to a manufacturer in Germany and take it from there. You are not even having to sell in the traditional way of jumping through hurdles.

eg China is moving rapidly to high end manufacturing. They are setting up low end manufacturing facilities all over Africa right now which will grow and grow. You may have heard that Chinese investment in Africa is rocketing.

You know what Mittelstand is right? Hundreds of thousands of high quality small manufacturers making the stuff that is needed to build these new factories to standards that they can then export. Everything from nuts and bolts and safety helmets through to huge things that I can't think of never having built a factory.

Hope that helps you a little bit.

Dan

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Oh, so you are not a diplomat, you just have the "status" like one for being married. That means you can pursue the business at 100% focus. That's great.

Regarding your question the best thing to do it will be undoubtedly to speak with a good accountant and know if there are any advantages of running the business in the country you are, or if you would be better served as having an online business registered somewhere else in Europe (for tax benefits, etc.).

SEO Guy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
384%
May 14, 2017
Page 1
When you say 3/4 years - do you mean three fourths of a year. Or 3 to 4 years?

If you have 3 to 4 years before you have to move, just hustle, tell the German foreign office to F*ck off, and live in whatever country you feel you need to in order to operate your business.

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
As a diplomat, I believe you are able to pull it off with certain advantages compared with other people.
I say that because you can have help with laws and regulations from friends; you have "status" that help to initiate contact and move business with more sense of security for other people, etc;

For example, when I want to export a product to a certain country, one of the first things I do is to establish contact with the embassy = diplomat in that country, to get help.

Even though I am not answering the other questions you have (because I have no experience), I am saying that the fact you move every 4 years is not a disadvantage.

You can set a business acting as an intermediary, but to have 2 full-time jobs... be aware of what you are getting into.

exporttoberlin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
May 15, 2016
As a diplomat, I believe you are able to pull it off with certain advantages compared with other people.
I say that because you can have help with laws and regulations from friends; you have "status" that help to initiate contact and move business with more sense of security for other people, etc;

For example, when I want to export a product to a certain country, one of the first things I do is to establish contact with the embassy = diplomat in that country, to get help.

Even though I am not answering the other questions you have (because I have no experience), I am saying that the fact you move every 4 years is not a disadvantage.

You can set a business acting as an intermediary, but to have 2 full-time jobs... be aware of what you are getting into.

Tiagosoares

Thanks for the reply. Well I am not working the in the office. My wife does. I am lucky to have the benefit of travelling and earning the status as diplomat as it is granted to every partner/ spouse who works for the foreign office. I do have good connection with the Chamber of commerce.
I am also intending to act as an intermediary ( export agent) so that it makes it easier than having to be a merchant or distributor. But my registered company has to be somewhere permanent. Could banking be in one country and registry of business be in another?

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
if you need any contacts please pm me. I know quite a few. My sister lives in munchen as well.

exporttoberlin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
May 15, 2016
Hello Turan

99% you would simply register a company in Germany. An accountant will more than likely confirm this to be 100%. This will be the parent company which will always be static.

Whichever country you are located in you can set up a local office to import or simply locate a local distributor to import once you are in situ.

I wont write more on this as a German Accountant will tell you in less than 1 hour.

I am guessing that you don't plan on manufacturing but you wish to export German products already manufactured by other companies. Is that correct?

I am going to talk UK now and you can work out the German equivalent ok?

The Department for International Trade has Trade Officers in every consulate and Embassy around the world. They each cover different areas eg Consumer Retail, Manufacturing and Engineering, etc etc and their sole task is to identify import/export opportunities and network with those companies.

So the one in Chicago for example will work at high level with the big businesses in Chicago and see what they want and vice versa what they have that maybe the UK wants. A lot of wining and dining is conducted. You will know this yourself whatever level you are within the German Embassy/Consulate you will be sent to.

These are Administrative roles obviously and like all Administrators are writing these import/export opportunities up into reports.

You Turan want to get hold of these reports when you arrive to see what the local country you are in want. Then you make an easy call to a manufacturer in Germany and take it from there. You are not even having to sell in the traditional way of jumping through hurdles.

eg China is moving rapidly to high end manufacturing. They are setting up low end manufacturing facilities all over Africa right now which will grow and grow. You may have heard that Chinese investment in Africa is rocketing.

You know what Mittelstand is right? Hundreds of thousands of high quality small manufacturers making the stuff that is needed to build these new factories to standards that they can then export. Everything from nuts and bolts and safety helmets through to huge things that I can't think of never having built a factory.

Hope that helps you a little bit.

Dan
Hey Dan

Thanks for the big help. You seem to have some experience on this so may come back to you for future doubts. The thing is our local consulate does not deal with any reports of trade statistics. However they have a local chamber of commerce who are connected and may provide the reports.
As per your accountant advice I will shop around for a good international accountant.
And how about establishing a contact line for clients to contact me...for instance I have everything put together, and begun the operation of my parent company in Germany but then I am say living in Colombia. How would I give details of a customer telephone number to contact me. I understand that you can have a line which diverts it to any given number in Colombia or elsewhere. But the time difference can also be a factor.
Do you currently run or involved in any International trade?

Thanks buddy

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hi Turan

I am not in International Trade so don't want to mislead you here.

I think you are overthinking the phone number/office bit.

If you are in Columbia you would have a Colombian number. Germany would just be where your company is based and Colombia would be your local office. Accountants would tell you how to best structure things. Bosch are German Headquartered but they will have, maybe, Bosch Colombia who are pushing the sales of Bosch in Colombia then putting the order through to Germany.

I don't know if Colombia is an example you have written but have a look at this.

OEC - Colombia (COL) Exports, Imports, and Trade Partners

Germany is the 5th largest exporter to Colombia (origins half way down)

Above that is what they Import. Hover over the little squares and it will tell you exactly what and the quantity/value. Nearly $200 million in valves. $25 million in imitation jewellery $13 million in knit babies garments and thousands of other things.

Not in a million years would I come up with those things. Would you?

No need to guess what they want, it is there in black and white.

I might actually be interested myself so maybe keep in touch eh?

Dan

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.