The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dilemma. Perfect timing to mess with my decision.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
Hi guys,

First of all I want to address my experience with this forum. After reading MJ´s first book came directly here and after learning how the forum worked started to have the best of times learning and most of all, reinforcing my idea and motivation to switch into the fastlane.

I am a lawyer (I do several other things but all of them are really nice but clearly slow lane so I describe my activity like this). Since I understood the value of time as explained on the books and in this forum, the need to scale the business in order to be really free and the need to control my income, I took the first BIG step.

I fired my biggest client (they paid me a significant monthly fee to take care of their business) because not only it was taking most of my time (they wanted me personally dealing with them) but they were controlling the main source of my income, violating the commandments I need to uphold from now on. This was scary. VERY.
Also, I declined taking two other clients that were offering similar kind of deals, putting all my energy in growing my practice in a CENTS way and evaluating dipping my toe into other businesses.

I was getting comfortable with the idea, and teamed up with my wife in order to be ready to go through whatever we need in order to get into the fastlane and be free forever. Then... THEY contacted me.

My country´s new government just got into office and long story short... they have offered me a HUGE position as a head of a VERY important agency for them. I haven´t slept for days, because this messed with my mind, my decision and my peace.

The position brings a LOT of prestige, makes a huge impact in my resume and tier level as a lawyer, will give me connections and responsibilities BUT it is clearly SLOW lane. Even the money is not that great compared with the private activity. Also the potential designation decree includes a prohibition to engage in any other activity other than teaching at Universities.

The timing is perfect in order to mess with my mind. I am a ball of stress now and I really don´t know want to do. I DO NOT want to take it but everyone (regular colleagues) would die for a position like this.

I wanted to tell you all because I feel you guys are my "teammates" on this path so I thought this is the right place to vent.

Than you for being there! this place is really awesome.

Any feedback would be appreciated as a token of friendship from you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi guys,

First of all I want to address my experience with this forum. After reading MJ´s first book came directly here and after learning how the forum worked started to have the best of times learning and most of all, reinforcing my idea and motivation to switch into the fastlane.

I am a lawyer (I do several other things but all of them are really nice but clearly slow lane so I describe my activity like this). Since I understood the value of time as explained on the books and in this forum, the need to scale the business in order to be really free and the need to control my income, I took the first BIG step.

I fired my biggest client (they paid me a significant monthly fee to take care of their business) because not only it was taking most of my time (they wanted me personally dealing with them) but they were controlling the main source of my income, violating the commandments I need to uphold from now on. This was scary. VERY.
Also, I declined taking two other clients that were offering similar kind of deals, putting all my energy in growing my practice in a CENTS way and evaluating dipping my toe into other businesses.

I was getting comfortable with the idea, and teamed up with my wife in order to be ready to go through whatever we need in order to get into the fastlane and be free forever. Then... THEY contacted me.

My country´s new government just got into office and long story short... they have offered me a HUGE position as a head of a VERY important agency for them. I haven´t slept for days, because this messed with my mind, my decision and my peace.

The position brings a LOT of prestige, makes a huge impact in my resume and tier level as a lawyer, will give me connections and responsibilities BUT it is clearly SLOW lane. Even the money is not that great compared with the private activity. Also the potential designation decree includes a prohibition to engage in any other activity other than teaching at Universities.

The timing is perfect in order to mess with my mind. I am a ball of stress now and I really don´t know want to do. I DO NOT want to take it but everyone (regular colleagues) would die for a position like this.

I wanted to tell you all because I feel you guys are my "teammates" on this path so I thought this is the right place to vent.

Congrats on the offer. Take it. Government posts are very short-lived. Just make sure that you have a landing pad. That type of job can be over in a heartbeat.

I too have a JD, but I never practiced as a lawyer. I was an expert witness in State and Federal Court for years in real estate matters. And I did litigation support. I did better than my attorneys. And I did some Federal Contracting on the side for the applicable agencies. Now, I'm a professional real estate investor. So, I do understand -- so here's my advice...

Don't drink the Koolaid. You'll only be "that guy" for a short moment. You are there to beef up your resume, collect a buck and make critical contacts for later. Keep your ego and your spending in check. When everyone else is living large, be OCD about keeping your pocketbook closed. You're there to do a job -- not impress the rest of them. Learn a lot and save your money for that moment that it's all over.

You have been chosen to do the job. So do it carefully, thoughtfully and with total integrity. Being the top dog allows you to lead the pack rather than follow. Do your role with a lot of grace, style and a grateful heart. When it's over, walk away with a smile and your head held high. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I know @Andy Black . It is a fight with myself
I try not to fight with myself. I try to hear myself. I often find it hard to do so will do the coin flip test. Flip a coin. When it lands, notice whether you feel relieved or delighted.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Yes, that is the case. The position is extremely important and it is not well paid. That makes it even harder.

I know right?

Thank you for the input and it is nice to see another lawyer thriving on the fastlane. I could larn a lot from you. Appreciate your advise. Let´s be in touch if you would like.

That´s a great way to look at it but I don´t think I would be able to put time into anything else if I take it.

Thank you all for the advise. I maybe have a gracious way out asking leeway on the prohibition to engage in ANY other activities and if the say a hard no I could use that as an excuse to politely decline, but still it is a tough decision. Don´t want to stay on the slow lane so maybe this is the ultimate test on my will... or ....
You must throw your whole heart into this position -- if you take it. You aren't staying the "slow lane"! You are putting together the pieces and parts for a rocket ride later. This is your short cut to your Fastland life that you want. It's a gift from God. Yes, it seems like a detour at this moment. It's not. If you take it, spend every day with your ears and your heart open for those magic moments and contacts. And there will be a bunch them. Don't worry about asking for leeway or permission to engage in other activities from the beginning. Prove yourself first. That success will give the wiggle room to do whatever you want later. You'll be joining a league of people that most will never even get a chance to say hi to...

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
First off, congratulations!! That is a true honor, and it's perfectly fine to bask in your awesomeness for a few days.

How long do you have to decide? I always offer book suggestions, and here's yours:

- The Path of Least Resistance. You need to set aside your offer, and think about the long game, and your personal core values, before you can make a decision.

- Decisive. Use the WRAP method, talk it over with your wife and other key players, and decide.

Again, congratulations - and good luck!

Samdreamth

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 15, 2018
I DO NOT want to take it but everyone (regular colleagues) would die for a position like this.

You already know the answer!

I have been to a similar position about a year ago.
I received an offer from my ex-boss, which I wanted to decline it.
Unfortunately, the offer was quite good and due to the pressure I received from my ex-boss and my ex-colleagues, I finally accepted it.
It turned out to be a totally wrong decision!
I realized that after working on the new job for just a few days.

So, don't do the same mistake as me. Follow your instinct!

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
You already know the answer!

I have been to a similar position about a year ago.
I received an offer from my ex-boss, which I wanted to decline it.
Unfortunately, the offer was quite good and due to the pressure I received from my ex-boss and my ex-colleagues, I finally accepted it.
It turned out to be a totally wrong decision!
I realized that after working on the new job for just a few days.

So, don't do the same mistake as me. Follow your instinct!

Thank you. I want to stay as I am now, with peace and projects. But also I guess that saying no, the peace will also disappear because the harm is already done. I will always be asking myself "what if?"

I will think about it and see how the next meeting develops.

You must throw your whole heart into this position -- if you take it. You aren't staying the "slow lane"! You are putting together the pieces and parts for a rocket ride later. This is your short cut to your Fastland life that you want. It's a gift from God. Yes, it seems like a detour at this moment. It's not. If you take it, spend every day with your ears and your heart open for those magic moments and contacts. And there will be a bunch them. Don't worry about asking for leeway or permission to engage in other activities from the beginning. Prove yourself first. That success will give the wiggle room to do whatever you want later. You'll be joining a league of people that most will never even get a chance to say hi to...

A totally different opinion and I appreciate you for taking the time to tell me all this. I will definitely consider it. Still don´t know what to do yet. I am lucky that the holidays delay everything a little.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Depends on your value.

I can give up Uncertain potential profit from business for a secured profit in a slow lane if that money is big enough, but I will never do it for prestige and CV.

My value is about building my net assets, or more specifically liquid net asset.

I can talk about careers in finance, in a field that I am more familiar with. A 30 year old can shuffle papers in Goldman Sachs back office in Singapore for 70k a year, but it is still just a job that pays 70k a year, in my opinion. Factoring the OT hours on an hourly basis they aren’t even paying higher than “less prestigious” local banks.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Yes, that is the case. The position is extremely important and it is not well paid. That makes it even harder.
Now, here may be the crux of your problem in making this choice. The position pays less money -- so you have a lifestyle that you must support? I surmise that you are not prepared for this moment financially. Are you trapped by your own decisions? So, how do you plan to make a transition the Fastlane? That change comes with a disruption in your cash flow, uncertainty, and a big chance that you will fail -- not once, but perhaps several times before you ferret out the right path for you.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
My bro I wouldn't work for those corrupt donkeys even if they set me up for life. From one Argentinian to another do yourself a favor and stay out of their dirty biz. My dad was in the same position except medical industry (he's up there town wise, manages the ambulance fleet and ER system for the city). From years working for the state he knew better than doing that because each time the gov changes if you are not on their side they'll find a way to f you up.

Not sure what's your politics and I'd probably rather not know anyway. I'm safe from all that here, lol
Thank you bella! Where do you live now?

Not political myself at all, only technical aspects were discussed. In fact I've had a similar offer from the previous government as well even though not for a position of this importance.
Believe me what you are saying it is also a great factor I take into account and I was not really addressing that thinking that all the people in the forum wouldn't know what I was talking about.

Thank you for the input! It is nice to meet you

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thank you bella! Where do you live now?

Not political myself at all, only technical aspects were discussed. In fact I've had a similar offer from the previous government as well even though not for a position of this importance.
Believe me what you are saying it is also a great factor I take into account and I was not really addressing that thinking that all the people in the forum wouldn't know what I was talking about.

Thank you for the input! It is nice to meet you

I live in Chicago, I'm originally from Bs As Zona Norte.

Doesn't matter which gov really, it's all the same. Be careful I might be wrong ofc but... yeah.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
First off, congratulations!! That is a true honor, and it's perfectly fine to bask in your awesomeness for a few days.

How long do you have to decide? I always offer book suggestions, and here's yours:

- The Path of Least Resistance. You need to set aside your offer, and think about the long game, and your personal core values, before you can make a decision.

- Decisive. Use the WRAP method, talk it over with your wife and other key players, and decide.

Again, congratulations - and good luck!

Thank you so much brother. Will take a look at those.

Last edited:

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Depends on your value.

I can give up Uncertain potential profit from business for a secured profit in a slow lane if that money is big enough, but I will never do it for prestige and CV.

My value is about building my net assets, or more specifically liquid net asset.

I can talk about careers in finance, in a field that I am more familiar with. A 30 year old can shuffle papers in Goldman Sachs back office in Singapore for 70k a year, but it is still just a job that pays 70k a year, in my opinion. Factoring the OT hours on an hourly basis they aren’t even paying higher than “less prestigious” local banks.

I know right?

Congrats on the offer. Take it. Government posts are very short-lived. Just make sure that you have a landing pad. That type of job can be over in a heartbeat.

I too have a JD, but I never practiced as a lawyer. I was an expert witness in State and Federal Court for years in real estate matters. And I did litigation support. I did better than my attorneys. And I did some Federal Contracting on the side for the applicable agencies. Now, I'm a professional real estate investor. So, I do understand -- so here's my advice...

Don't drink the Koolaid. You'll only be "that guy" for a short moment. You are there to beef up your resume, collect a buck and make critical contacts for later. Keep your ego and your spending in check. When everyone else is living large, be OCD about keeping your pocketbook closed. You're there to do a job -- not impress the rest of them. Learn a lot and save your money for that moment that it's all over.

You have been chosen to do the job. So do it carefully, thoughtfully and with total integrity. Being the top dog allows you to lead the pack rather than follow. Do your role with a lot of grace, style and a grateful heart. When it's over, walk away with a smile and your head held high. Best of luck!

Thank you for the input and it is nice to see another lawyer thriving on the fastlane. I could larn a lot from you. Appreciate your advise. Let´s be in touch if you would like.

If there are a lot of people in the same position, surely you can find a problem in the industry to solve and capitalize on.
That´s a great way to look at it but I don´t think I would be able to put time into anything else if I take it.

Thank you all for the advise. I maybe have a gracious way out asking leeway on the prohibition to engage in ANY other activities and if the say a hard no I could use that as an excuse to politely decline, but still it is a tough decision. Don´t want to stay on the slow lane so maybe this is the ultimate test on my will... or ....

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hi guys,

You said that you`re a lawyer, but I`m curious to know, how do you define yourself?

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Hi guys, first of all... thank you for all the input and the support. This community has had a great deal of positive influence on me since I joined.

Quick update.

Just had lunch with the government people that offered me the position (yes on sunday). We have discussed a lot of things, being one the obligation to relinquish/resign any other activity other than teaching at universities and the huge obstacle that it signifies.
They agree that being the money not that good because it is an official board seat, having to stop cold doing everything I do (some of them I love) it is indeed a big deal and also they are not sure what would be their answer if they were in my shoes and not aiming to climb the government ladder as they always been.
They offered a way out to me, but I will explain how I don´t feel that it is that great of an idea anyway. They have proposed this:
If I am not willing to quit my other jobs and practice, they offered that I could still run that office and the team but designating someone else as the main guy, and I could take the immediate lower position that does not have the impediments that the big chair has, so I would still be able to hold my other jobs.

I don´t think that as a great solution being that I was not considering the main office for any other reason than the prestige it brings with it, and that tends to fade away when you move down the ladder even one step. And the money would be even less so it would be just one more slow lane job, now with the government.

I am inclining to politely decline both offers. I am not really sure what to do. I was talking to my friend and partner and he said to me: " Congratulations I am happy for you, it is awesome to have options". And I replied from my heart that it is NOT. It is hell because either way I will end up wondering what would have happened if I had taken the other path. He laughed and said that then I would need to see a therapist.

So here is where I am. I feel that I should say yes but at this point I feel like I don´t want to.

Thank you all. Still don´t know what to do, but I will keep you up to date.

Thanks again brothers

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
My bro I wouldn't work for those corrupt donkeys even if they set me up for life. From one Argentinian to another do yourself a favor and stay out of their dirty biz. My dad was in the same position except medical industry (he's up there town wise, manages the ambulance fleet and ER system for the city). From years working for the state he knew better than doing that because each time the gov changes if you are not on their side they'll find a way to f you up.

Not sure what's your politics and I'd probably rather not know anyway. I'm safe from all that here, lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.