The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Diary of Opening A New Business

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I see a lot of these threads started by young entre's and thought I would start my own on a new business I am starting this week. I think it might be a good insight to what it takes to make it. Or what it takes to fail at it.

My goal. Turn a (hopefully only) $15k investment into a $10 million dollar a year business within 24 months. (last business I started with under $10k, we did $4.5 million in sales in 36 months and sold out to a major player in that industry). To do that I am going to have to go from zero employees (as of last week) to say 100 in under 24 months.

If you guys like I can keep an account of what is actually happening week to week. the trials and tribulations, the hiring's, the firing's, the bills, the sales, etc.

I am not going to tell you what business I am starting, (name or industry) but I will say, I am not reinventing the wheel here. This is a business a ton of people are doing and make a lot of money from, A lot on this site, I just THINK I have come up with a niche, and a different way to market it. So I am going to give it a try. (no need to reinvent the wheel)

Where am I at?

Expenses

- Just rented a small office last week, 800 sq ft. $1,500 down $750 a month (signed a month to month lease, with the ability to move up to 2,000 sq feet quickly, then to 4,000 sq feet, which is about the size I need.)
- Bought 5 used computers - $900
- Bought 6 Voip phones - $1,000
- Bought 6 headsets - $750
- Cable is going to be installed tomorrow. $220 a month
- Phone lines through a voip service $250 a month
- Incorp with proper books, $1,000 (lawyer on retainer)
- Talked to the CPA about becoming my part time book keeper ($200 a month)
- General liability policy $440 for the year. (once I have a few more employees, need to add some sort of workers comp)
- Set up payroll company
- Set up bank account

Office already had some junky old furniture that will do, but I am buying new chairs, some plants and pics. $1,000 bucks

Have main website almost done, as we will be charging on monthly automatic renewals, and sometimes taking payment info by phone, still trying to get the merchant account set up.

Employees,
- Tons of infrastructure work to do, hired a college degreed in marketing guy to be my right hand man. $3,000 a month to start, Add $1,000 a month every month to 9k a month as long as sales justify. (tons of work to do)
- Hired my sales manager, starts Wed, and we will start selling Thursday. She will help write the scripts, make changes and manage the sales force. ($17 an hour plus override comm bonus from sales team)

Goals for this week,

Make 1 sale, set up a sales system, finish website writing,(or just keep updating).

Goals for next week, (once we have the script down) hire 4 more salespeople, pay $13 an hour plus commission.

I am back in the game.... Now it is time to have some fun.

Note about me: I have been a serial entrepreneur for over 20 years, started a small business when I was 20, with no money (no parents money either, they asked me for money), it worked, thank god, (I have not had a boss for 20 years) I have owned a lot of businesses, from a bunch of retail stores, to a huge wholesale operation with 60 employees, then another wholesale operation in a total different industry just to see if I could. ( Also the bad, I have spent at least 1 million over the years trying businesses I should have never gone into, I did it because I thought I was smart, I lost a lot of money, but learned a lot)

Thanks for reading..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Brent Jacoby

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 15, 2011
I am very interested in seeing you updating each week or when you can. Already this first post was a great read for me. I've never done anything with offline businesses, I have only started online businesses, so I'm extremely excited to see what you do.

I gave you speed as well!

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Very interested in what you have to say. New businesses are always exciting aren't they? In the process of ramping up my new business myself and I'm having trouble sleeping at night I'm too excited!

Would you mind sharing some details of your other business? I'd be interested in the trials and tribulations of that one as well as any you foresee here! (If you're not comfortable, I completely understand, just curious!)

A

Anon3587x

Wow make sure to keep this updated!
Good luck with your business!

10 million dollars a year requires like $28,000.00 a day.
Scary o_O

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Today internet will be installed, happy about that, cause you can't make sales if no one can call you and you cannot call anyone.

I think the new sales mgr I hired is going to flake. Kind of bummed about that, but ohh well. Lots more where she came from. Back to craigslist.

Lot of work to do.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
now THIS is what im talking about. Where did you get all the used equip from? Is the space you rented NNN and already built with offices or what?

stlsmoore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 8, 2009
Saint Louis
Can't wait to see how this comes along, I would really like to see how an offline business start up plays out from start to finish. I really enjoy my career (network engineering / VoIP) and the services I provide are in high demand, I just didn't have any idea on how I cold turn it into a business one day.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forum Jack and thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure many will be interested to see how it develops.

Thanks, I am interested in seeing how it develops also. Time will tell.

now THIS is what im talking about. Where did you get all the used equip from? Is the space you rented NNN and already built with offices or what?

I bought the computers from a used computer store, Dells, paid $119 then $89 for a 17in flat screen monitor. Then nego down to $900 all in for 5 of them.

The rent on the space is all in. It is in an office building not a normal retail space. Space was already built out. Hopefully we will be out of this space in under 6 weeks, (to a 2,000 sq footer in the same building) it is really to small to do anything in, but one piece of advice, never sign long term leases and do not take space that you do not need.

Finally got the internet going, all the computers are set up, Voip phones and Headsets should be in tomorrow.

Manager girl did flake after all.

But, I Hired a new sales manager, (someone who worked for me in the past) nice girl, not my first choice for the position but she will do for what I need. Or at least I hope she will. Paying her $750 a week.

Also have another old employee (sales person) starting Friday.

Next weeks payroll will be a min of $2g's plus, then you add rent and phone, and misc, we need to start making some sales, here real quick.

Hoping to still sale our first deal by the end of the week.

Thanks for reading.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
End of last week, we ran into a few problems, oh well.

First girl starting at 12 today. Hopefully get our first sale today.

Besides that, We have been doing a ton of logistic work, rewriting scripts, getting the crm software going.

Have hired two more sales people, hopefully get them started in the next few days.

seomatic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 24, 2011
Germany
Please keep updating. I think, that i can learn a lot from your diary. Very inspirational!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, speed+thanks!!! I almost missed this thread -- lots of action, can't wait to see the updates!!!!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Jack, Where are you hiring from? A job posting site or craigslist or just folks that you know through a network? What do you look at when hiring people?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I definitely will be following up on your progress. Thanks for sharing.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Jack, Where are you hiring from? A job posting site or craigslist or just folks that you know through a network? What do you look at when hiring people?

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Right now I am just hiring a few people that have worked for me in the past, I have been taking out ads every few days on craigslist, If I don't get the 2-3 good salespeople I need in the next 2-3 days, I will probably take out an ad in the free bee employment papers. But those ads are $250-350 a week, and don't even get me started on Monster.com and the others, $$$.

I am offering some great money to start, just getting a ton of people who are not closers, or wait have never sold anything in their lives, I am looking for people with the same type sales experience. I could train, but why.

Yes I am being picky. I have two that are pretty close. Just need a leader/closer type.

Funny story, I actually had a girl tell me "I can close" when I worked at Mcdonalds, I closed every night... Love that one.

Today was a good day, I do believe the first sale will fall in the am. And hopefully we will have our core 4 salespeople by Thursday. 7 people total, So that will be a burn rate of $600 bucks day. (3 of us are working free)

Bad side today, had a hell of a time today with the voip set up. nightmare really, I miss regular old phone systems.

Jack

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I'd be interested in how you handle your employees and compensation for sales people.

If you are comfortable:

What do you look for in employees?

How do you handle them day-to-day? (in a few words)

How do you structure your comp plans for your sales people? I am assuming with a larger business such as that, you are looking for top-end sales people who are looking for the big bucks. Or am I mistaken?

Of course I'd like to know what type of business you're into but I do respect your privacy. Thanks for the thread, good luck with your voip!

D.J.

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 24, 2011
Good Luck on that first Sale tomorrow morning!

Great initiative your taking, You will do well my friend. I'm following closely!

Keep up the good work.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I'd be interested in how you handle your employees and compensation for sales people.

If you are comfortable:

What do you look for in employees?

How do you handle them day-to-day? (in a few words)

How do you structure your comp plans for your sales people? I am assuming with a larger business such as that, you are looking for top-end sales people who are looking for the big bucks. Or am I mistaken?

Of course I'd like to know what type of business you're into but I do respect your privacy. Thanks for the thread, good luck with your voip!

Voip, just the set-up, I have zero patience..

Great questions..

1. I look for experience, a lot of entres think they need to reinvent the wheel, hire and train, they don't! There are people that have sold almost the exact same thing you are selling, no matter what it is, I search for those people. if they do not have a proven track record of doing what I need done, and this is in any position, I don't hire them. Your time is all you got.

2. How do I handle them day to day? I don't the only way to "fastlane" your business is to hire people that can handle them day to day. Even though I opened this week, I have yet to call back an applicant or do one pitch on the phone. You hire good managers and have them do it.

3. I am looking at people who want to make $100k a year, and that have made a min of $50k at their previous jobs, if they show up and drive a 91 civic that has dents on all sides, and they are 35, why do you think that is? They are probably losers that will waste your time with drama, now if they show up in a newer Infinity, they need to make car payments. So they have to sell or work hard.

I structure their commissions based on the fact that they will do as little as possible most of the time, so you want them to make very little $$ per hour (but still think they have a good paying job) and offer them great commission for making deals. The plan is for them to always make commissions, not hourly.

You can hire and train and fire people all day long for 9-10 bucks an hour, or you can pay someone 20 bucks an hour and they will know how to do the job and won't quit because 20 bucks is just enough for them not to quit.

Hope this helps

Can't say the biz, maybe when I sell it.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
This thread had made me log in again.. great stuff here brother!

I love how you are "just doing it" very professional and shows experience.

How/why did you decide "Ok let's get into this" - checked the numbers and saw good opp/$$/other?

How many sales do you need to break even every month?

Will follow closely, once again great stuff, thank you for posting and speed++

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
How/why did you decide "Ok let's get into this" - checked the numbers and saw good opp/$$/other?

How many sales do you need to break even every month?

Well, I saw someone elses attempt to do something along the same lines and thought, I can do that a little better. Don't know if that will turn out to be true or not, we will just have to see.

I go by my own simple logic of common sense, if it does not make sense to me, I don't do it. If I can be stumped on a sales question, I don't do it.

Also, the most important thing is sales, can it be sold? Anyone can make a great website, anyone can spend money putting up ads on google, but the reality is, you must know how to sell it. I am pretty good at giving that a try.

Jack

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Great info in here. What is your exit or contingency plan if all else fails? $15k into a different business?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Great info in here. What is your exit or contingency plan if all else fails? $15k into a different business?

Basically. If I see it needing more money I will add more, but hopefully going to be able to cash flow it in the next week or two.

If it works, My exit is to sell it in 24 months.

I have at least 10 other ideas I would like to give a try to. So I am not lacking in idea's, just time and infrastructure.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
So your big picture plan is to seed each idea with 15k and use your time to build infrastructure as quickly as possible, if it shows potential, you have a second round to toss in, if not it gets dumped and dis-mantled? All with a goal to sell in 24 months. Are you going to work in each biz for 24 months or work on multiple businesses if they are keepers and then sell at 24 months? Your back end strategy is what is most interesting to me over what you are actually selling.

With a good plan/system in place, it doesn't matter much what you are doing or selling as long as there is demand for it.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Actually, some of the idea's I have are in the 150k to 300k range in the least, but I am looking for the one that will take off.

And how can I put this, I have 100% belief the idea I am working on can do about $10 million in sales a year in a few years. So I might not try anything else.

But once I start making money at this one, I will probably try others as I become quite bored quickly. Thus the need for a good infrastructure, or team.

How I am structuring this deal is that I do not have to be there at all.

Thanks for the question

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Funny story, I actually had a girl tell me "I can close" when I worked at Mcdonalds, I closed every night... Love that one.

Ohh i'm stealing that line ...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.