The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Developing Photos For Websites

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I have been teaching myself how to build websites for about a month now. A lot of what I do is taking pictures and developing them for the web pages. I also do my best to optimize the size of the photos to allow fast load times.

My process is a little time consuming:

1. Upload pictures
2. Use Adobe Lightroom to enhance
3. Use Photoshop (save for webpage) to make them smaller and convert them to png
4. Use TinyPNG.com to make get them under 200kb

My question is there a better way?

Edit: I kind of answered my own question a little bit. I figured out that jpeg files are smaller out of the gate. That cuts the last step out of my process.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

thehighlander

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Dec 31, 2016
California
A good alternative is to use an application like ImageMagick and write a script to apply all the edits you want. You could dump a ton of images in a directory and put the tool to work.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Only use PNG if the image needs to have some portion transparent. Everything else should be jpeg - with one exception which might be your favicon which can be done in other formats if needed.

The fastest way is to do the whole site first offline, saving all the images in a custom folder and then batch compress them when it is time to go live.

Kade

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 6, 2017
France
What I do is run a combination of 'jpegoptim' and 'convert' (both are available on linux). With the first tool you can keep the same quality while lowering the filesize or adjust the quality of the image to reduce it. Convert allows you to change from jpg to png and to resize the dimension. For photos I prefer to keep the JPEG because they are made for photographs and realistic images. PNGs are for line art, text-heavy images, and images with few colors.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I agree with @Fox. PNGs are rarely needed on a website unless the image has millions of colours (like a photo) AND a transparent section in it (very rare - mostly used in menus and other small dynamic images for which PNG have features that JPGs don't). I've been optimising images for websites for nearly 20 years and I've always just pulled it into photoshop (once it was available), adjusted the levels ("Image --> Adjustments --> Levels") and sharpness (using a mild "Filters --> Sharpen --> Unsharp mask", if needed) resized the image to the exact dimensions at which it'll be displayed (use re-sampling! it's a check box in "Image --> Image Size") and then use "save for web and devices" as a jpg at 90%. Don't resize the image in "save for the web and devices" it's not as good as the re-sampling while resizing that can be done in the image menu. This should produce a very small (in kb) but bright and sharp image perfectly sized for fast delivery and great looks.

If you've got photoshop you don't need jpg resizer websites as they will do a worse job than photoshop almost every time. The only thing I could add to this is if you MUST use a png (for the reasons above) then you can use this awesome free website to reduce PNGs in byte size with very little loss of quality. It's the best I've found and super simple to use. Just drag and drop.

Compressor.io - optimize and compress your images and photos

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.