The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Depression Has Just Killed Somebody

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hi folks!

As some of you already know, I had been battling with depression for some time. Although I have found my way out of depression, many people won't. It could even be guessed that until you finish this post, a tired and depressed soul will commit a suicide.

PAIN POINT
I don't want to sound rude, but I will - Psychological support in Ireland is barely existent. I've attended psychiatrists, counsellors, life-coaches, etc. Most of them provide little value and cost a fortune. In addition, most of my friends perceived me as a successful guy and every time I tried opening up about my struggles they laughed them off - so sharing my emotional struggle with mates wasn't an option either. Ok, I could have shared my struggles with my mother, but I did not want her to worry about me, therefore I decided to put a mask and pretend all is great.

After some testing I've found out we had a free suicide landline. This option was OK - I was finally able to talk to a human being over the phone, but lack of interaction was heavily felt. I could not see a human I am talking to, hence provided help wasn't that effective after all.

In addition, I've also found a 7cups - online place where you can talk to random guys about your emotional struggles where he/she does his/her best providing assistance and advice. This option was weird for many reasons, so I plugged it off.

I've always wished I had someone locally I can speak to. Some REAL human being who could listen me out and simply provide emotional support by simply being present. However, there was nobody around to help me out with that and I was struggling alone for more than a year.

MY IDEA

At its core, it would be an Irish website that connects people willing to listen-out in real life and depressed people who need someone to hear them out. Here's how it would function:

LISTENER
Creates a profile (personal information, background, age, preferred topics, photo, preferred location, etc.). Listener gets a personal message from a Talker - a depressed guy who would like to arrange a tea/coffee meet to discuss his/her emotional struggles. Listener clicks Talker's profile - to find out a little bit more about him/her prior to meeting and agrees/declines to meet.

TALKER
Creates a profile (personal information, background, age, preferred topics, photo, preferred location, etc.). Talker can then filter Listeners (location, age, etc.) and invite him/her to a tea/coffee meeting where Talker will be able to open-up about his/her emotional struggles. If a Listener declines - a Talker can move onto another Listener and repeat invitation process.

P.S. I am in a process of launching my another business, so, in the beginning, this project would be a side project.

What's your take on this business idea?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi folks!

As some of you already know, I had been battling with depression for some time. Although I have found my way out of depression, many people won't. It could even be guessed that until you finish this post, a tired and depressed soul will commit a suicide.

PAIN POINT
I don't want to sound rude, but I will - Psychological support in Ireland is barely existent. I've attended psychiatrists, counsellors, life-coaches, etc. Most of them provide little value and cost a fortune. In addition, most of my friends perceived me as a successful guy and every time I tried opening up about my struggles they laughed them off - so sharing my emotional struggle with mates wasn't an option either. Ok, I could have shared my struggles with my mother, but I did not want her to worry about me, therefore I decided to put a mask and pretend all is great.

After some testing I've found out we had a free suicide landline. This option was OK - I was finally able to talk to a human being over the phone, but lack of interaction was heavily felt. I could not see a human I am talking to, hence provided help wasn't that effective after all.

In addition, I've also found a 7cups - online place where you can talk to random guys about your emotional struggles where he/she does his/her best providing assistance and advice. This option was weird for many reasons, so I plugged it off.

I've always wished I had someone locally I can speak to. Some REAL human being who could listen me out and simply provide emotional support by simply being present. However, there was nobody around to help me out with that and I was struggling alone for more than a year.

MY IDEA

At its core, it would be an Irish website that connects people willing to listen-out in real life and depressed people who need someone to hear them out. Here's how it would function:

LISTENER
Creates a profile (personal information, background, age, preferred topics, photo, preferred location, etc.). Listener gets a personal message from a Talker - a depressed guy who would like to arrange a tea/coffee meet to discuss his/her emotional struggles. Listener clicks Talker's profile - to find out a little bit more about him/her prior to meeting and agrees/declines to meet.

TALKER
Creates a profile (personal information, background, age, preferred topics, photo, preferred location, etc.). Talker can then filter Listeners (location, age, etc.) and invite him/her to a tea/coffee meeting where Talker will be able to open-up about his/her emotional struggles. If a Listener declines - a Talker can move onto another Listener and repeat invitation process.

P.S. I am in a process of launching my another business, so, in the beginning, this project would be a side project.

I like the idea. Solves a problem. How does it make money?

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I've attended psychiatrists, counsellors, life-coaches, etc. Most of them provide little value and cost a fortune.​

Off topic sorry. But this is an issue I deeply care about so I wanna clarify something for those reading...

(USA specific info)

For depression, you should seek out a psychologist NOT a psychiatrist.

Psychologists do various therapies for depression but do NOT prescribe drugs.

Psychiatrists are drug pushers and are often NOT trained in therapies that will help with depression.

If you see a psychologist and they feel you need drugs, they should refer you to a psychiatrist for the prescription OR your general practitioner (GP's are cheaper, but make sure they know how to monitor anti-depressant use. Most don't have that training)

Anyway, that's all. On topic:

I think it's a good idea, and the US could use something like this as well. Mental health services for men is severely lacking pretty much everywhere. Big need.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Hi folks!

PAIN POINT

MY IDEA

LISTENER

TALKER

Hey man,

I love the progress you've clearly made throughout our time talking! I personally love the problem you're looking to solve, but I honestly start feeling depressed when I see the word Side Project ;)

So the approach I kind of see you doing is when the dam is built up with a lot of water, you provide a service where you open up the flood gates to allow some of that water to flow out, easing the internal pressure so the person feels better after they vent. What I've found over the years is that a lot of people continue to vent out their emotions, through writing, through sharing their emotions, through the guy who constantly loses his temper and punches holes throughout his house when he gets upset with his girlfriend.

The problem I've seen with that, is that while in some cases it allows the emotions to flow out in a controlled release (so they don't build up or they don't lose control)...in many instances, it doesn't address the root cause of the problem; which could stem from a physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual level.

At the emotional level, since that is where most of the work is done; The dam gates could open up and flood out, but behind that, there is the force of an entire river building the water up once again, only needing to repeat the process. So what I've learned to do is to get to the very source/root cause of the issue, so when the emotions flood out, the faucet upstream is turned off in a safe and controlled manner. This way, when the emotions are released, we know that it's not the intense buildup coming up behind it.

I'll preface this that there are many forms of therapy and ways to handle things, so I'm only speaking from my training and experience within my realm of things, and it may not be the only way....

Thoughts trigger emotions.

When a person talks about their emotions (about how their ex left them, about this, about that)....they build up the stories in their mind which makes that story more and more real every time they tell it. The story gets bigger, and the emotions attached to that story lock it in place. Instead, when I work with someone, I find out #1 - what the thought is #2 - what the emotion is, and first release that so the thought has no emotional attachment, and they are left with a whole new perspective on things, for the better.

Then I backtrack to the root cause of the that problem in their life and then get them the the emotional state of before the anger/frustration/sadness/etc. ever occurred, and reset their body to the point where that faucet of water upstream is turned off, or at least minimized.

Then, as MJ made a post about the other month - we act congruent with how we identify ourselves. So if a person says "I am a slowlaner", they act congruent with their identity. Even if you're working a job, when you put on the identity of "I am a fastlaner", you act congruent with that identity. The more a person talks about their problems, the more the words they use build up the identity of being depressed.

So when I work with someone, I start off with getting them in the frame of being (mindset, identity, emotions, etc.) of already being a happy and confident person (or whatever specific identity they do want), and I work backwards from there. This way the constant frame of "I am a happy person" is the frame that we are locking them into, as opposed to trying to escape them from depressed frame.

Then, instead of getting caught up in the stories, we release the problems one by one until they are 100% feeling as if they are who they already are, feeling exactly how they want to feel.

Whenever a client starts venting or going into a story about their problems, I cut them off...and focus on the tools I use hold the positive frame adn release the story or emotion. Because for the most part, I found this to be a much quicker solution.

So from my experience in this field of mindset/emotions, I can see the proposed services as a great tool to open up the flood gates and make a person feel better, but in the back of my mind, I see them having to come back on a regular basis (which would lead to more repeat customers and recurring revenue), but as you do that...

Always be growing, always be learning, and keep in your mind to keep digging deeper until you find the source of the flow of emotions, and then work on a solution at that deeper level. It might not have as many more repeat customers, but when you fix that source/root cause of the emotions - it sure as hell will lead to more customer referrals...and happier customers.

Once again, this is just speaking from my training and experience. So it may not be the only way and I don't know anywhere close to everything :)

I'm always here or you have my skype if you ever want to talk.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Hey Almantas, this is a superb perspective you have brought to our attention here.

Two main issues you raised:

1. There is a lack of professionals to assist individuals in this area - or at least a lot of them aren't known about.
2. A lot of people are suffering as a result of the issue in your country.

I know you've mentioned you'd do this as a side business, but you are definitely onto a lot here. A possibility exists where you can create a platform in which you can bring Psychologists and Patients together, this will help solve the 2 main issues highlighted, along with other issues. A little more thought would have to go into fastlaning it - possibly having the Psychologists pay a timely member subscription fee along with a percentage for each client that commits to an appointment - since this is a central place for them to obtain more clients and expand their assistance. As I said, a lot more fine-tuning can be applied to this aspect.

From your personal experience, you know how you've felt about the lack of services in this area; based on what you know you would need to get started on a journey as such as a client, use this to build a genuine service to help others too.

You can begin in Ireland, of course, and offer that same opportunity for the Professionals to arrange meet-ups with clients in public areas e.g. coffee shops etc., as you mentioned or if they prefer to meet at the Professionals' offices, also, they can each create the profile pages as you have suggested, initially offering each other, the opportunity to understand the basics of each other's backgrounds and grow from there.

Depending on your constant feedback from the market, you'll know how to proceed with the growth of the platform, should it be that you expand to neighbouring countries etc. etc.

Depression is a growing global problem and due to differing reasons, people often find it hard to reach out for help. This is an opportunity to help people recognise they are not alone in their difficulties and they can get the necessary, professional support to help change the core of their being, overcoming the root issues that got them in the depressive situation and recognising their worthiness in this world.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Two main issues you raised:

1. There is a lack of professionals to assist individuals in this area - or at least a lot of them aren't known about.
2. A lot of people are suffering as a result of the issue in your country.

I know you've mentioned you'd do this as a side business, but you are definitely onto a lot here. A possibility exists where you can create a platform in which you can bring Psychologists and Patients together, this will help solve the 2 main issues highlighted, along with other issues. A little more thought would have to go into fastlaning it - possibly having the Psychologists pay a timely member subscription fee along with a percentage for each client that commits to an appointment - since this is a central place for them to obtain more clients and expand their assistance. As I said, a lot more fine-tuning can be applied to this aspect.

Exactly.

Speaking from experience here...

3 things with psychologists:

1) 99% of them are terrible marketers

2) 99% of them make very little and don't have the cash for advertising, AdWords, etc.

3) most rely on word of mouth, which is hit or miss (mostly miss) because people are hesitant to admit they sought help for mental health issues. This is especially true with men.

It's a tough nut to crack, been there done that. (And then gave up haha)

Last edited:

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Oh, and the lifetime value of a client is MUCH lower than you would expect, which puts a damper on how much shrinks are willing to spend to get a client.

Something like 95% of clients only go to one appointment, which is often discounted or free.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Sounds like something for which there is definitely a need. If planning to launch, I'd talk to an attorney sooner rather than later. Sounds like the sort of thing that could have a shitload of potential liability.

I'm assuming Ireland isn't as lawsuit happy as the US (nobody is, amiright), but the first time one of your depressed clients actually tragically ends his own life... you could find yourself in front of a judge.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Off topic sorry. But this is an issue I deeply care about so I wanna clarify something for those reading...

(USA specific info)

Psychiatrists are drug pushers and are often NOT trained in therapies that will help with depression.
This right here is so important, as I am common folk, I honestly would not have known the difference and assume they do similar work.

Speaking from experience here...

3 things with psychologists:

1) 99% of them are terrible marketers

2) 99% of them make very little and don't have the cash for advertising, AdWords, etc.

3) most rely on word of mouth, which is hit or miss (mostly miss) because people are hesitant to admit they sought help for mental health issues. This is especially true with men.

It's a tough but to crack, been there done that. (And then gave up haha)
This is absolutely true, I don't have experience from the psychology perspective, but even in my country, though it is a very small country, I can barely count the number of psychologists in my country, and according to you, if there are any, they don't advertise their services much, or basically don't advertise at all.

Then there is the issue of being afraid of visiting a psychologist, there is a negative stereotype created around it and this stereotype must be overcome. A lot of people's ego prevent them from reaching out, for fear of being frowned upon; however, if someone has a problem, indeed, it needs to be overcome in some way, and while depression isn't something fun for anyone, there just has to be a way that these services can be interactively marketed to allow prospective clients to feel a lot more comfortable to seek the assistance required and deal with the problems they are being faced with.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Then there is the issue of being afraid of visiting a psychologist, there is a negative stereotype created around it and this stereotype must be overcome. A lot of people's ego prevent them from reaching out, for fear of being frowned upon

This is getting better because internet anonymity takes away the shame.

However, shrinks are terrible at getting found by people looking for them because they are stuck in the stone ages with advertising. Hell, I personally know shrinks (I volunteer at a suicide prevention charity) that still use the freakin' yellow pages to advertise!

Make no mistake @Almantas , this is a worldwide need that is SCREAMING for a solution.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago

Make no mistake @Almantas , this is a worldwide need that is SCREAMING for a solution.
I agree 1000%, I was being subtle by saying he could start with Ireland, but, this answers to the commandments and other philosophies highlighted in both books. This is a genuine Fastlane and Unscripted business that totally answers MAJOR needs, I see this as a necessity.

As G-Man mentioned, make sure the legal aspects are definitely covered too.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

However, shrinks are terrible at getting found by people looking for them because they are stuck in the stone ages with advertising. Hell, I personally know shrinks (I volunteer at a suicide prevention charity) that still use the freakin' yellow pages to advertise!

To me it sounds like there's a VR opportunity. While forums and chat rooms aren't very personal, a VR room with realistic avatars might suffice. Then the meeting could take place anywhere in the world. Perhaps anywhere in the universe. A beach. A winter wonderland. The moon. A completely safe environment for both people.

Or maybe a gaming environment (oh no'z not gaming! cue the forum "sheep" ..). Imagine the conversations you'd have on a quest through the saltine marshes of Trinity Hollow in search of wild treasure. Or making your way through the lava filled innards of Dragon's Keep to save the princess of Yolanda.

As someone prone to introversion, I'd choose a virtual environment over a live experience any day. But not just any environment. A chatroom or forum wouldn't do. Something like OnChat or Second Life (but more immersive) I'd consider.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Love, love the idea. But how does it make money? Or at the minimum, how do you pay yourself a salary if it's a non-profit? How can it be affordable for people who generally can't afford such services?

Here in the states there might be grants and the like for a potential the non-profit option.

There are two fundamental problems here you're trying to solve: 1) Depression and 2) The unaffordable cost of treatment.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK

(USA specific info)

If you see a psychologist and they feel you need drugs, they should refer you to a psychiatrist for the prescription OR your general practitioner (GP's are cheaper, but make sure they know how to monitor anti-depressant use. Most don't have that training)

I think it's a good idea, and the US could use something like this as well. Mental health services for men is severely lacking pretty much everywhere. Big need.
What we call counsellors you call psychologists.

We got the NHS over here but waiting times are brutal. I have been on a waiting list for a psychologist for over a year now (with constant reminders). I have tried to find private ones but it is severely hard to find the right one as a lot of them are certified from a 2 day course or fake their acredditation on their website (ie, it says they are registered, you go to the registry and their name isn't on the list) and I don't even live on an island (Ireland) I live on mainland England.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Can you go the Tesla route and try to get government subsidies to get your idea off of the ground? We all go through the shitter and we all need someone to talk to...

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

(USA specific info)

This is way off topic for me, but as one who has counseled many members of my religious group and others, I would like to add something that could save lives.

There is a vastly undiagnosed mental health issue called Bipolar Disorder. The two parts of this illness, depression and mania, have their own particular problems, but it is essential they be considered together.

Sufferers from this illness rarely, if ever, present to a psychologist or psychiatrist when manic. They almost invariably seek help only when severely depressed.

If they are prescribed anti-depressants, their manic behavior will usually become more extreme, often leading to very serious consequences. They need mood stabilizers.

It is therefore essential that all practitioners at least allow for the possibility that their patient is suffering from Bipolar Disorder. There is a simple 10 question test that is extremely effective in determining whether the patient is circumstantially depressed, clinically depressed or Bipolar.

Failure to spend the few minutes needed to apply this test has led to a large number of Bipolar suffers remaining undiagnosed, with resultant tragic outcomes.

Walter

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I actually think this is an excellent idea. The current state mental health system is quite pathetic in Canada too, so I see potential even outside Ireland.

Let's say you make it a website: possible funding routes could be advertisements, or even donations. Khanacademy, Wikipedia, and Mozilla survive on donations, and they provide incredible service to their users.

I really like @SinisterLex's idea of making it into a game/VR environment. It would be therapeutic for people struggling with depression to put their focus and energy into a fun activity which they can enjoy with new people they meet. If you do it like that, perhaps it could be a freemium model? People can play for free but buy skins and cosmetics if they want, kinda like in League of Legends or CS:GO.

Expanding on the gaming idea, I have no idea how this would work, but what if you made a platform like which could be used and implemented by other games? Or something like Discord?

Just brainstorming by throwing out a bunch of ideas.

Koen_88

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 6, 2017
Netherlands
Interesting subject! My 2 cents in on this:

Maybe you can have a look at www.betterhelp.com for reference. This is only a chatroom with a therapist I beleive. I saw a part of profile creation and therapist selection where you could learn a few things and I guess they state some legalities on there too.

But you talked about meeting people in person so a "tinder approach" is what comes to my mind (with subscription model). Where the person in mental termoil states a few of his thoughts. And psychologists can select whom they think they can help. And to look if the potential client is a definite match (both ways) there could be a skype call.

And indeed @SinisterLex has a good point VR combined with avatars will make people talk more freely I think. So maybe the step after a match or skype call could be this, where the skype call is an indepth explenation of the intended approach/results.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Guys, I am shocked how many of you support this idea. I was expecting this idea to be of some interest to you, but your responses have exceeded my wildest expectations. You all provided insane amount of value - by suggesting improvements and execution methods. I'll explain today in the evening as to what route I am going to take. Keep those amazing suggestions coming! Each of your suggestion is extremely valuable and could potentially help me help people who are struggling on a daily basis. Thanks!! :)

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
This is way off topic for me, but as one who has counseled many members of my religious group and others, I would like to add something that could save lives.

There is a vastly undiagnosed mental health issue called Bipolar Disorder. The two parts of this illness, depression and mania, have their own particular problems, but it is essential they be considered together.

Sufferers from this illness rarely, if ever, present to a psychologist or psychiatrist when manic. They almost invariably seek help only when severely depressed.

If they are prescribed anti-depressants, their manic behavior will usually become more extreme, often leading to very serious consequences. They need mood stabilizers.

It is therefore essential that all practitioners at least allow for the possibility that their patient is suffering from Bipolar Disorder. There is a simple 10 question test that is extremely effective in determining whether the patient is circumstantially depressed, clinically depressed or Bipolar.

Failure to spend the few minutes needed to apply this test has led to a large number of Bipolar suffers remaining undiagnosed, with resultant tragic outcomes.

Walter

For sure. Good post.

Add Borderline Personality Disorder and Body Dysmorphic Disorder going undiagnosed and you've covered the vast majority of male suicides. (And murders, as borderline's are often violent or are murdered themselves)

BDD is easy to diagnose, but most assume it's a female only disorder when it's not, so it gets missed. Borderline is very difficult to diagnose though and often gets misdiagnosed as bipolar, but they are treated very differently.

(Bipolar is swings from manic to depressive over the course of weeks or months, but with normal emotional ranges in between. Borderlines swing from manic to depressive but over the course of minutes, hours, or days, with no normal* ranges in between, and unlike bipolar's have an unhealthy and inappropriate fear of abandonment, and lack of empathy and awareness of their own and other's emotions)

* "normal" meaning in the healthy range between neurotic and psychotic.

ExcelGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 11, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario
No, no, and no. But...

Here in Canada (Ontario... government health care and employer with great benefit plan) counsellor are really the first line of defence before being referred to a psychologist or psychiatrist.

You need *qualified* people to be Talkers.

Based on your experience, you may be vastly under-estimating how messed up people with severe mental health issues can be. You can market it as "Hey need a mate to chat with?" but you will probably get those who are all kinds of messed up.

Maybe first start by checking out the psychologists at local Universities and find ones researching mental health issues. Maybe they have ideas they want to bring to market (monetize).

Even better first step:
* Start a website called counsellinginireland.ie and create a geographic based directory of counsellors in Ireland. You can talk to counsellors in your area and find out their pain points. They most likely are awful at advertising so helping counsellors will help people who need help.

* Add a discussion forum to the site. You might be able to get counselors to spend time answering questions but the key is to get people talking to people ... which is what you want right?

* Monetizing: You could go with minimalist Adwords ads but it would make more sense to see if the counsellors are interested in buying ad space from you. You are providing *qualifed* leads.

Ok now everyone try this in their own location and let me know how it goes.

My experience: I had my honeymoon in the southern Ireland and would pretty much leave my wife I was guaranteed work there. I'd love to go back.

Living with anxiety/depression since 2014 (at least... probably longer but having kids was a big trigger). On Pristiq and have seen at least 3 counsellors off and on over the years to help with difficult times. Zero cost to me directly because of company benefits and hell... this is Canada!

But I would say if this was something that you were *really* passionate about, get in touch with the Irish government and help find ways to make mental health care available to everyone.

ExcelGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 11, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
make an app that facetimes you with people based on your preselected criteria.
I'm learning database backend programming hardcore right now, so i'll keep this need in mind for the future.
A good app would be good value for humanity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.