The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Debt-free after over 3 years

Share your FTE moment...

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
Hello,

I'm Lafandriel, a 29 year old elderly care nurse and mentor in a retirement home in Germany. I am currently reading TMF for the third time and waiting for UNSCRIPTED to be delievered, so I can read it too.

After I did my A-levels I studied computervisualistik for one year which I had to quit due to personal reasons. Then I went into 3 year training to become an elderly care nurse and although in the beginning it was quite tough I love my job. Everything could be simple. I would work for a few years then study again and climb the career ladder... that was the plan...

But my Life turned upside down when my mother received the diagnosis cancer 4 months prior to my exams. Final stadium. She had some real estate properties with flat shares which would cover the debt and allow us (my mother, her boyfriend and me) to live in a tiny little house which we renovated by hand. Long story short I had to learn how to deal with some issues after my mother`s dead in order to keep our house and to pay back the loans.

The issues were:

- Accepting that no one cares if it is sunday or after the third nightshift... when a problem shows up it needs to be solved as soon as possible (the shift from the employee mindset to the one who is in charge and responsible was tough at first)
- Vacation ? Forget it! ( I saved 3000 € in a year and was so happy to go on a vacation ... and then the bill for the oil for my tenants heater poured in... )
- Health issues... I suffered from very heavy migraine up to this day ( Believe me throwing up up to five times in a shift at a job which is physically and psychologically exhausting is not funny especially when you have to work full time to cover unforeseen bills etc ...)
- Family (well if I would have listened to them and sold everything from the beginning i would end up with a small amount of cash on my bank account ...while now I am debt free and will receive passive income that after taxes is higher than my monthly salary... but it is hard to have discussions with them because I love them but they are slowlaners and have no clue...)

I really have grown stronger and gained a lot of selfconfidence over the past 3 years but it is time to live my life now which means that I am moving back to the place where I studied because I have a lot of friends there and start my own journey .. :)

I am glad to be here and hope we can help each other

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about your mother. My condolences.

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
Welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about your mother. My condolences.

Thank you MJ! Well that `s life... sooner or later all of us have to go through this and it is always hard but it helped me to give a better support to the relatives of my patients.

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
Oh my god ... I am crazy ... I quit my job today... I am happy but ... waaaah.... in 3 months I am jobless...
I don`t know why I am like this I mean everything goes according to plan... I will move in 4 months and I earn enough money to not depend on my job but.... how can I stop feeling like this? :arghh:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
You mean you gave 3 months notice?

In my case, when I resigned my job in 2013, I gave almost 6 months verbal notice to upper management.
I also gave authorization for them to start shopping for a replacement for me.

This was mostly so I wouldn't have the option to start rationalizing things and getting cold feet at my planned exit date.

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
You mean you gave 3 months notice?

yes :)
I have to inform them so they can find a replacement ...

so I went into the office of my boss and hoped that she won`t be there (but unfortunately for me - she was there... )

I handed the notice to her and she told me:
Sorry to hear that you want to leave, because your monthly payment will rise (In the company the payment rises every 2 or so years automatically)

Me: ... (Thinking by myself: Is it worth it to stay here, work full time, with less colleagues and with calls coming in on my days off to jump in for my colleagues (who are ill, on vacation, or just not there) for maybe 100 bucks extra? ... NOOOO!)

She probably thought I didn`t hear her because she repeated the sentence ....

Me: ...

My Boss: Why do you want to move there? There is nothing special and all your property is here...

Me: Yes that`s exactly why... ( But she gave me this look: :eek: so I stopped explaining...)

My Boss: Have you got a Job already? No? But you do know, that the unemployment over there is higher than here... it will be harder to get a job ... (me thinking by myself: no it won`t because I am very good, qualified and I am working in a field where good employees are highly sought-after )

In the end she accepted it but wasn´t even able to look me in the eye when we shaked hands and I wished her all the best for her future...

Well ... c' est la vie

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
Now that a few hours have passed I feel relieved... and happy ... hm... to quit a job is not as hard as I thought it would be...

PS: sorry for my not-half-as-good-as-I-want-it-to-be english .... :smile2:

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
The only thing that will haunt me in my dreams is my dear family... I love them, but when I told my aunt yesterday that I will quit my job she was like: You have nothing!!!! No Job! No Flat! Nothing!
Well at first I told them that I will just move to another city and start to work as soon as possible but meanwhile I am like maybe I should wait until the beginning of next year ( One year without working on christmas or/and New Year ...) hmmm.. I don`t know ... anyway in my next vacation I will go to the other city and look for a nice little flat...
I don`t know why she is so mad at me I am living in my house and I could live off the income of my properties ... so there is basically nothing insecure about this...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...