The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Day trading margin buying power

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Say I have $50,000 in a margin account. So I buy $200,000 worth of stock on Monday morning. I sell the same day and break even at the end of the day (200,000 at closing). What is my buying power on Tuesday? I just don't understand how it works with settlement and the free ride policy.

The regular margin buying power is based on the previous day's closing prices and is reduced by any open orders. The value is reduced or increased as soon as the trade executes, not when the trade settles.

1320Trader

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
Say I have $50,000 in a margin account. So I buy $200,000 worth of stock on Monday morning. I sell the same day and break even at the end of the day (200,000 at closing). What is my buying power on Tuesday? I just don't understand how it works with settlement and the free ride policy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MrDoctor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 13, 2007

It all depends on your broker. Usually, they will let you borrow 100% of whatever you have in your cash account. You have 50k cash, you have 100k margin power in your account.

If you have 100k, you have 200K. You take all profit. For example, you have a 10k cash balance, 20k on marhin, you trade on margin, and buy 1000 shares of x company that is trading at 20.00. X company jumps to 22.00 per share, you sell, your broker gets their money back (depending on how long you had borrowed it, with interest,) you made 2k in profit, so now you have 12k in your account. So, you have 24k in margin buying power.

Its not a free ride unless you make the purchase on cash.

Daytrading is fun, you should do it sometime :smxA:.

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
It all depends on your broker. Usually, they will let you borrow 100% of whatever you have in your cash account. You have 50k cash, you have 100k margin power in your account.

If you have 100k, you have 200K. You take all profit. For example, you have a 10k cash balance, 20k on marhin, you trade on margin, and buy 1000 shares of x company that is trading at 20.00. X company jumps to 22.00 per share, you sell, your broker gets their money back (depending on how long you had borrowed it, with interest,) you made 2k in profit, so now you have 12k in your account. So, you have 24k in margin buying power.

Its not a free ride unless you make the purchase on cash.

Daytrading is fun, you should do it sometime :smxA:.

If he is a "pattern day trader" he can trade on margin with 4 times the money in his account. Basically have to complete 4 trades in 5 days. (Buy and sell a position.)

Btw, I made a killing on AAPL call options in the last two days. Bought at 3pm yesterday and sold right before close today. A 51% gain in less than 25 hrs.:icon_super:

TheBoyPlunger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Aug 17, 2007
Waterbury
If your account has more than 25000, you don't come under PDT right?Unless of course you choose to.

MrDoctor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 13, 2007
Btw, I made a killing on AAPL call options in the last two days. Bought at 3pm yesterday and sold right before close today. A 51% gain in less than 25 hrs.:icon_super:

Nice.

I shorted Apple at $140 (called it.) I'm riding it down....

My hatred for Steven Jobs helped a lot :cheers:

MrDoctor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 13, 2007
If your account has more than 25000, you don't come under PDT right?Unless of course you choose to.

You need 25K plus to qualify as a day trader. And, of course, the balance needs to be maintained. Under 25k you are just a regular Joe.

TheBoyPlunger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Aug 17, 2007
Waterbury

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders