The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Crushing the 2023/life health/fitness/activities bucket list

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
In 2022, I did some reflections and thought about how I could get outside of my comfort zone. What new activities could I try and learn that would challenge me, grow me in different ways (mindset and physically), and I wanted some of these activities to have at least a little bit of fear factor to them. So that I can face any fears head-on, and challenge those fears.

As a result, I came up with a pretty small list of activities that I'd like to try for 2023, and I've done a good job so far:
  • Got into bouldering in the last couple of months of 2022.
  • Saw the next step of progression up from bouldering was indoor top-rope climbing and wanted to make it a goal in 2023 to learn how to do it.
Now I'm doing both almost every week. They're a great workout, with indoor top-rope, I'm often times climbing up 35ft walls. I'm almost considering lead climbing. Not yet there in terms of skill. And I'd like to eventually try and take top roping outside. I think the PNW would make a beautiful backdrop!

I'm also currently enrolled in a PADI Open Water dive course. I'm done with the confined-space training (pool) and in the next two weeks, I'll be diving down in Seattle to ~60ft. Although my username is Ocean Man, ironically, I'm afraid of water. Don't have a good relationship with it so I tend to stay away from anything that's not the pool. I'm fine with swimming, just not really comfortable when I can't see clearly below me and there's zero visibility. I think people call it thalassophobia. But here I am, going to be diving down to 60ft and I'm crushing these BS fears. Scuba has been a lot of fun so far in the pool, can't wait to see all the fish and explore where many typically don't.

And then I'm also potentially sky-diving with some family members & friends sometime this year.

Now I'd like to turn it to you. What activities/health/fitness goals have you created this year that you're working on or have crushed already?

top-rope.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Got dry suit certified today!
Much needed for diving here in the PNW!
6 dives are now recorded in my dive logbook. You know, originally I had decided to start diving to face my fear of the open water and the deep. But now, I'm actually starting to feel really relaxed down there. Especially when you see the life down there, you just forget about all your issues. Once I reach around 25 dives, I'll go for my advanced open water certification. (Which would certify you to dive down to 100ft).
1691378604438.png

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
1680395512928.png

Trained for this moment. Five dives later, as of yesterday, I became PADI Open Water certified which means I'm trained & certified to dive to 60'. Had a max depth of 53' at Seattle's Alki Seacrest Cove 2. Water was around 47.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
1680395449702.png1680395468474.png

Eurojanek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 9, 2020
I love sailing and diving, but I only do freediving. Try not to lower than 20 meters as then it could get dangerous.
Things that diving taught me:
- if you just relax, you can dive way longer than ever imagined,
- instead of thinking "Im certainly gonna drown if I don't resurface rihgt now" I think "let's see if i'll manage 10 more strokes" and then "maybe 5 more",
- If I find a spot that I want to reach then determine approximatly how many strokes it takes then I count in my mind while diving it's way easier to reach than just jumping in water and paddling away hoping to reach the aim.
Could possibly also be applicable in other fields of life :)

FB_IMG_1691393364394.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1691468937288.jpg
    FB_IMG_1691468937288.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 4, 2019
Nice man. Never been diving but it looks awesome. Do you have any specific dives you want to do now that you're certified?

I'm going to Hawaii in a couple months and I'll be doing a snorkeling trip to a spot where manta rays gather. Really wish I could dive there cause it would be even cooler to stay down for a long period.

One of my goals for the rest of this year is to mountain bike more, ideally at least once a week. Didn't do a lot last year's because I was so busy with my business but it's something I need to prioritize a bit more.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Nice man. Never been diving but it looks awesome. Do you have any specific dives you want to do now that you're certified?

I'm going to Hawaii in a couple months and I'll be doing a snorkeling trip to a spot where manta rays gather. Really wish I could dive there cause it would be even cooler to stay down for a long period.

One of my goals for the rest of this year is to mountain bike more, ideally at least once a week. Didn't do a lot last year's because I was so busy with my business but it's something I need to prioritize a bit more.
There's Edmonds Underwater Park which is a local massive underwater park! I'd like to check that out eventually.

Hawaii sounds like it's going to be a blast! As for mountain biking, do you go to some local mountain trails? I remember being really into riding in the trails during my high school days.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 4, 2019
There's Edmonds Underwater Park which is a local massive underwater park! I'd like to check that out eventually.

Hawaii sounds like it's going to be a blast! As for mountain biking, do you go to some local mountain trails? I remember being really into riding in the trails during my high school days.
That place looks sweet!

I ride local trails, but my favorite is downhill / bike parks. There's a bunch of ski mountains with bike parks near where I live in the northeast.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Dropped into my first BJJ class today. AWESOME! Have until the end of this week to decide to join, but already looks like I made up my mind, haha.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.