The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Critique my residential real estate checklist

JDE

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 11, 2017
Edmonton
Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I'm excited to have found this forum, I've been lurking for awhile and there is so much value it's insane.

I have been reading everything I can about appraising residential properties for maximal potential appreciation with minimal risk of vacancy. From many of the posts on this forum and some real estate investing books I put together a checklist to run on properties that I am interested in. I am hoping to make the process as systematic as possible; since I am new to the game I have zero confidence in gut feelings. Here's the checklist:

upload_2017-7-12_12-35-19.png

Each factor is weighted differently depending on how much impact I have heard it could have on appreciation and vacancy rates, and on how objectively it can be determined. My question is for anyone that has experience in real estate investing (especially residential) - do you follow a similar system? Would you weigh the factors differently, and are there factors you would not bother including? This would obviously be in addition to running the numbers on expenses, ROI, NOI etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I'm excited to have found this forum, I've been lurking for awhile and there is so much value it's insane.

I have been reading everything I can about appraising residential properties for maximal potential appreciation with minimal risk of vacancy. From many of the posts on this forum and some real estate investing books I put together a checklist to run on properties that I am interested in. I am hoping to make the process as systematic as possible; since I am new to the game I have zero confidence in gut feelings. Here's the checklist:

View attachment 15507

Each factor is weighted differently depending on how much impact I have heard it could have on appreciation and vacancy rates, and on how objectively it can be determined. My question is for anyone that has experience in real estate investing (especially residential) - do you follow a similar system? Would you weigh the factors differently, and are there factors you would not bother including? This would obviously be in addition to running the numbers on expenses, ROI, NOI etc.

I'm a big numbers guy and work in residential real estate. So, with that said this is a completely unnecessary quantitative analysis. None of those line items will give you cash flow and it's teetering toward action faking.

Here are the numbers that are important:
Purchase price
Down payment
Repair and maintenance cost on the property
How much will it rent for
What's my vacancy cost
How much for a property manager

If you're wanting to do an analysis on a specific market then look at two things. First look at avg sales price. Then, look at rents for the same type of properties and calculate monthly rent. Divide monthly rent by sales price. You want to around 1% or more and no less than 0.90%.

You could also calculate the avg sales price per square foot and divide by the avg monthly rent per square foot. Might be more of an accurate gauge of the rental market.

These numbers do not have to be very exact but a general sense of what the market is doing.

All this stuff about job market growth, etc is not necessary to quantify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.