The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating RSS Feed

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I know that creating an RSS feed should be simple. The instructions are all over the net. I have tried and I'm not getting it. While this is going on I am missing opportunities. Is there anyone out there that wants this job? It's a one time job. You create the feed and teach me how to use it and modify it for future use. If you are interested in this PM me.:cheers:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
JScott, my site is custom, created using a software program. Jon that looks cool. That's the feed from the blog. My goal is to get the actual frontpage of the website to generate an RSS feed that others can subscribe to.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Static or dynamic? There is both...

If dynamic, I would suggest considering moving toward a platform with this built in. Reason being, in the future when making changes and upgrades, you won't have to worry about it.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Static or dynamic? There is both...

If dynamic, I would suggest considering moving toward a platform with this built in. Reason being, in the future when making changes and upgrades, you won't have to worry about it.

I guess dynamic is the kind that automatically updates itself?

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Oh, pretty sure XSP has the option to add rss btw.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Errr... kinda. A static rss feed, is like having a static sitemap.

Content on your site may be updated, but the "file" itself doesn't access a database so their is nothing to pull from for updates.

Why not just move the whole site to wordpress or joomla?:fryingpan: Am I a broken record? lol

Here, you can steal the current theme I'm working with...http://wordpress.bustatheme.com/cms/;)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I spent a little time with Joomla and gave up. While I'm tying to learn a new system I feel like I'm going backward. Kinda like time standing still. I've learned how to bypass many of my design software features and, I guess, I'm being stubborn. You got me stated learning Wordpress and now it's a snap. Time to tackle Joomla. Thanks Matt.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I don't understand Greg, you already have a WordPress blog on that site that is creating an RSS feed (I posted the link earlier). It looks like it has all the stories from your main website, so what is it that you require that is not already being provided by that feed?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
No prob Jon. Right now I post my stories on my front page and then copy them over to the blog so people can do the RSS feed thing. I haven't seen a Wordpress theme yet that will give me what I need. So it's double the time and work. Just trying to figure out how to do it once.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
As far as i understand this would be a medium size hob. like matt said since your site is dynamic it would have to pull it from a central source when its called. Might be something to bid out on guru or something.

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
To create an RSS feed it is simple.

First things first is that you need to have a place you are already publishing content.

Secondly you then go to feedburner.com and sign up for an account.

Third put your URL where you are publishing content into the "burn a feed"

Fourth follow the prompts

Fifth after everything has been set up click into your feed from the main "my feeds" page

Sixth at the top of the page you will see "Publicize" click that

Seventh On the left side you will see a tab that says "chicklet chooser" (click that)

Eight Scroll to the bottom of the page and copy the code

Ninth Paste the code anywhere on your website

Tenth Go to google.com/reader and download the reader

Eleventh Go to your website and press the "new button" you created and when it prompts you to pull the feed into a reader...click the "Google One"

Twelfth Login to your google reader and it should be there with all of the content! :)

Let me know if you have any questions or need any help. I would be happy to assist you :)

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
To create an RSS feed it is simple.

First things first is that you need to have a place you are already publishing content.

Secondly you then go to feedburner.com and sign up for an account.

Third put your URL where you are publishing content into the "burn a feed"

Fourth follow the prompts

Fifth after everything has been set up click into your feed from the main "my feeds" page

Sixth at the top of the page you will see "Publicize" click that

Seventh On the left side you will see a tab that says "chicklet chooser" (click that)

Eight Scroll to the bottom of the page and copy the code

Ninth Paste the code anywhere on your website

Tenth Go to google.com/reader and download the reader

Eleventh Go to your website and press the "new button" you created and when it prompts you to pull the feed into a reader...click the "Google One"

Twelfth Login to your google reader and it should be there with all of the content! :)

Let me know if you have any questions or need any help. I would be happy to assist you :)

I'm pretty sure Feedburner only allows you to optimize an existing feed, it won't create a feed from a static site's content, which is what runum is wanting.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Just curious what PHP script you used to publish your front page.

If your content is stored in MySQL, the chance is that you can write your own RSS FEED easily with PHP. If you are using any PHP CMS to manage your front page, the chance is that your script already support RSS FEED in some ways.

PHP and RSS: Getting it together - IBM

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
BTW, if you post your content on both Home page and Blog in the same sequence, they may be treated as duplicate content by Google. It will some how hurt your page ranking.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

If your content is stored in MySQL, the chance is that you can write your own RSS FEED easily with PHP. If you are using any PHP CMS to manage your front page, the chance is that your script already support RSS FEED in some ways.

I have no idea what you just said.:rofl:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

I believe it is written in straight HTML... i could be wrong though. Greg, i will look around on the warrior forum, i remember reading something about creating rss from static html months ago. It was something that has to be set up with the site...

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Thanks Chris. If you find out something let me know but don't spend much time on it. I have moved on to learning Joomla and that should fix the problem and give me some other features I can see I will need. I appreciate everyone's input here. Back to work.:cheers:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Thanks Chris. If you find out something let me know but don't spend much time on it. I have moved on to learning Joomla and that should fix the problem and give me some other features I can see I will need. I appreciate everyone's input here. Back to work.:cheers:

AH! That would be a very wise move!! though you will have a learning curve on it, i think you will spend much less time managing the site after moving to a CMS system. further plans will be added by way of plug-ins and extensions!

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Nice. Looks like you got everything moved over to WP, with a little tweaking left to do on your index.

Be sure you're using at least All in one SEO pack, sitemap, rss anchor text, and internal linking plugins.

Robots and image optimizers help as well. Submit all rss feeds to aggregators after base content is imported.

I can't imagine you have trouble ranking for something in your town, but if there is something you need to rank for (especially if you want to offer something for advertisers), post in the speedway and I'll tell you how.

Good job Greg!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Nice. Looks like you got everything moved over to WP, with a little tweaking left to do on your index.

Be sure you're using at least All in one SEO pack, sitemap, rss anchor text, and internal linking plugins.

Robots and image optimizers help as well. Submit all rss feeds to aggregators after base content is imported.

I can't imagine you have trouble ranking for something in your town, but if there is something you need to rank for (especially if you want to offer something for advertisers), post in the speedway and I'll tell you how.

Good job Greg!

Thanks Mat. I finally found a good WP template and I'm still learning how to use it correctly. I got my start in WP trying to fix my blog after you set it all up. I screwed it up and didn't want to have to ask you to fix it again. How WP isn't too much of a big deal. I do have the SEO plug in but not the others you suggested. I'll post up in the speedway as suggested.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.