The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Create Business Entity (LLC etc) before starting sell on Amazon?

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
This may or may not be applicable to your situation, but let me tell you how I once screwed myself.

A few years ago I tried getting into supplements. Among other things, I paid a lawyer to set up my Llc. Sure, I could have gone the DIY route, but I had never done one myself so I wanted it done right. I also paid to get a few other things done because I wanted tyem done right. In reality I was "action faking" and the one thing I did best was fool the hell out of myself. I spent a few grand before making a single sale. Incidentally, much of what I "wanted done right" was done wrong because even though I paid pros, they were following my flawed instructions. Long story shortened, I lost a few grand flailing aimlessly in a business I knew nothing about. My net gain was that I learned not to spend money on all that before getting the all important momentum of SELLING. I posed for my victory portrait before I ran the race. Oops, my bad.

So, again, my story may not fit your circumstances. Still when I hear "should I....?" my gut screams. It's screaming at me, but if you read this and it sounds a shade too familiar then I'm glad to have spoken up. If I'm the only guy in the room wearing this dunce cap, that's ok too.

Carry on.....

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Hi All,

I am interested in starting an e-commerce business and currently doing all the reading and learning I could do. I think I understand the basic concepts and challenges etc, what I could not find is, do I need to setup a legal business entity (say LLC etc) and do import and selling against company name or I can do all of it as an individual.

If LLC formation etc is not required, are there any advantages doing this activity against company rather than as individual? and Is there a threshold where I should consider forming a business entity?

Im fairly certain amazon will ask for company info , go to the seller central amazon site and the requirements will be located in a faq section im sure

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
I can't speak to Amazon's requirements, but you can get an EIN number as a sole proprietor (i.e., just you doing business as you - no LLC, S-corp., etc.). To your question, being a sole proprietor is very much a "legal business entity" and most of it actually revolves around any State/local business licenses you need. The first year it doesn't really feel like a "business" but eventually after your first tax filing you do start paying estimated taxes. If everyone had to pay quarterly business taxes I think people might look at federal spending differently...

I'm not trying to dissuade you from forming an LLC, but it may not be necessary yet. And even a single-member LLC can be "pierced" for legal reasons so if you're looking to protect yourself it would be good to both get insurance and form a multi-member LLC (which then requires an annual member meeting, typically to be filed by an attorney who supervises the meetings). I'm guess that varies by state.

Good luck!

EsJay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 27, 2018
FL
Hi All,

I am interested in starting an e-commerce business and currently doing all the reading and learning I could do. I think I understand the basic concepts and challenges etc, what I could not find is, do I need to setup a legal business entity (say LLC etc) and do import and selling against company name or I can do all of it as an individual.

If LLC formation etc is not required, are there any advantages doing this activity against company rather than as individual? and Is there a threshold where I should consider forming a business entity?

EsJay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 27, 2018
FL
Thanks I also browsed Legal section of forum (didn't know it existed when I posted my message). I am now taking a first step and going ahead with LLC formation.

While that happens, its time to read forum, search for a product and order samples (bit way over simplified but I think I got the gist of it right)

Im fairly certain amazon will ask for company info , go to the seller central amazon site and the requirements will be located in a faq section im sure

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Hi All,

Selling under your business name is essential, but there are distinct benefits in buying under another name if you are intending to import.

In this post: Trademark your name NOW! I go into some detail on that subject by posting a chapter from my labeling book.

Walter

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
If memeory serves me when I created my seller account a few months ago I needed to supply my EIN and bank statements for proof I was a real business entity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.