• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Craigslist,Wikipedia etc

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Starsky, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Starsky

Starsky New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $45
    I have a backround in REI & B2B(Bquad) & am working on my web 2.0 Knowledge.. Was wondering how sites like craigslist and wikipedia make money? Maybe im blind but i dont see any PPC ads, adsense etc on those sites.. So how is money made with a medium like that?

Thanks again

2. LightHouse

LightHouse Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $30,068
    CL makes money only from certain high profile areas for real estate and rental listings. and im sure their shirts and gear as well.

Not sure about wikipedia though.

3. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $44,582
    Craigslist only makes money off of help-wanted ads and charging apartment brokers to market apartments on the site.

The founder of the company -- Craig Newmark -- had a vision of building a community site that didn't pander to advertising, and therefore was fully under the control of it's users (and not it's advertisers). While nobody argues that Craigslist could likely be worth billions, most of that revenue is not realized in order for the company to maintain it's pure community focus.

You could also argue that if the company started charging for listings or allowed advertising that much of the community would go away (it's a fickle community, trust me), and the site would be worth much less. At this point, it's somewhat of a catch-22; but it's also a moot discussion, as it appears Craigslist will never be significantly monetized.

Despite that, the amount of money that Craigslist makes off their single revenue stream is very large, and the small Craigslist staff (maybe 6-8 people) are likely doing okay. Not to mention that Craig made tens of millions of dollars a couple years ago when he sold 25% of the company to eBay.

Wikipedia is a non-profit, and doesn't rely on monetization of the business. Most of their operating costs are covered by private donations.

4. Nate

Nate New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $46
    Sweet. I'm going to start nateslist.

5. hakrjak

hakrjak Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $162
    It took some serious time to develop Craigslist... I remember when it was just a local San Francisco thing, and now it's spread nationwide.... That guy wasn't making any money at all for probably the first 10 years.

- Hakrjak

6. Z5 FILMS

Z5 FILMS Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $246
    I saw Craig on The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch. If I remember correctly he said that they makes about $10MM a year on ads from job postings and such.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.