The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Corporate Mom Trying to Gain the Freedom to Make a Difference

NLRDesign

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 25, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
When I was 12, I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I replied, “I don’t know, but I want to make a difference.” Where has that kid been hiding the past 21 years? Somewhere along the way, amidst personal tragedy, a growing fear of rejection, and a lack of common business sense, she was lost. In her place is me, a 33 year old happily married, mother of two working in a corporate, 9 to 5 job and absolutely no freedom with time or money. I am fortunate to have a loving and supportive family, but I am certainly not making a difference in the world; and aside from being unfulfilled in the workplace, I don’t have the time or money to support fulfilling activities outside of work for myself, my husband, or my kids.

As a child, I was always design-driven and would spend my time drawing and creating invention-type games that would both bore and aggravate my friends. I would also throw marketing spiels at my parents every time I saw a new product flash on my television and craft items to sell to any unlucky neighbor who happened to answer the door. Maybe this is normal for some, but in my small, WV town, I always knew I was different and I prided myself on it. Despite my actions no one thought that I might have the makings of an entrepreneur or inventor – that just wasn’t a realistic option in anyone’s mind.

Any adult I spoke to told me to go to college, get a degree, and get a job with a good company that offered a benefit package. Well, I have three design degrees and a job making slightly above average for my location with great benefits. However, as with many people my age, there was no talk of the ever surmounting debt that would take years, even after climbing the corporate ladder, to pay. I also did not foresee the challenges of being a woman in a major corporation or anticipate the degrading feeling of diminishing into a number rather than a valued individual. It didn’t take long to realize that ultimately, the corporate life is not for me.

With a teenager and newborn at home, living paycheck to paycheck just isn’t acceptable anymore. My husband and I have struggled due to our own choices and lack of financial education, but as I began researching solutions everything seemed to be a lecture or a long term illusion of wealth. I’ve been reading/listening to a multitude of financial books, blogs, and talking to my financially savvy friends just to try and get up to speed. We have spent the last few months educating ourselves and creating strong habits enabling us to live responsibly with what we have. However, just as MJ DeMarco speaks to in Unscripted and TMF , everything I read was about building my wealth for the next 30, 40, or 50 years down the road. I would be struggling to scrape every extra penny into savings or mutual funds for the rest of my life, then probably die before I could ever use it. I just thought there has to be a different way. Then MJ’s Unscripted showed up in my Audible recommendations.

I read Unscripted first based on some reviews and am glad I did. It was more of the wakeup call I needed to really see how much I have been living inside the lines. Now I am ¾ of the way through TMF and finally feel that living a productive and lucrative life outside the norm is actually possible (before the age of 70.) I finally believe that instead of being an idea person I can start focusing on actions that is going to allow me to implement those ideas. My goal within the next five years is to learn the skills (I’ve already started with EDX.org) I need to create a system and become a “producer,” so that I can make a difference and my family and I can finally live. I believe the passion and skills of our youth are undervalued and hide beneath years of following the “script.” I hope to tap into some of that old passion and innovation and really allow it to turn into something bigger, something life-changing. I plan on utilizing this Forum to both gain insight and share what I learn on my journey as well as to help keep me accountable. I know how short life can be, and it is time to start living that way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have more people from Florida as well.

Make sure to check out the Gold Threads, they’re a good place to start.

You mentioned you have been interested in design. There’s a pretty strong community of freelancers here, that could be a good way to dip your toes into the water.

Look forward to seeing you stick around

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Find @SinisterLex threads and adapt them for design. Try to have your first client by May 1st. Your road is what you make it.

NLRDesign

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 25, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have more people from Florida as well.

Make sure to check out the Gold Threads, they’re a good place to start.

You mentioned you have been interested in design. There’s a pretty strong community of freelancers here, that could be a good way to dip your toes into the water.

Look forward to seeing you stick around

Thank you! That is great to hear, I would like to utilize my design experience. I am just starting to delve into the Gold Threads and am excited to see what I find.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
welcome to the forum; hope you will find what you desire on here and some good information and friendships.

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
When I was 12, I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I replied, “I don’t know, but I want to make a difference.” Where has that kid been hiding the past 21 years? Somewhere along the way, amidst personal tragedy, a growing fear of rejection, and a lack of common business sense, she was lost. In her place is me, a 33 year old happily married, mother of two working in a corporate, 9 to 5 job and absolutely no freedom with time or money. I am fortunate to have a loving and supportive family, but I am certainly not making a difference in the world; and aside from being unfulfilled in the workplace, I don’t have the time or money to support fulfilling activities outside of work for myself, my husband, or my kids.

As a child, I was always design-driven and would spend my time drawing and creating invention-type games that would both bore and aggravate my friends. I would also throw marketing spiels at my parents every time I saw a new product flash on my television and craft items to sell to any unlucky neighbor who happened to answer the door. Maybe this is normal for some, but in my small, WV town, I always knew I was different and I prided myself on it. Despite my actions no one thought that I might have the makings of an entrepreneur or inventor – that just wasn’t a realistic option in anyone’s mind.

Any adult I spoke to told me to go to college, get a degree, and get a job with a good company that offered a benefit package. Well, I have three design degrees and a job making slightly above average for my location with great benefits. However, as with many people my age, there was no talk of the ever surmounting debt that would take years, even after climbing the corporate ladder, to pay. I also did not foresee the challenges of being a woman in a major corporation or anticipate the degrading feeling of diminishing into a number rather than a valued individual. It didn’t take long to realize that ultimately, the corporate life is not for me.

With a teenager and newborn at home, living paycheck to paycheck just isn’t acceptable anymore. My husband and I have struggled due to our own choices and lack of financial education, but as I began researching solutions everything seemed to be a lecture or a long term illusion of wealth. I’ve been reading/listening to a multitude of financial books, blogs, and talking to my financially savvy friends just to try and get up to speed. We have spent the last few months educating ourselves and creating strong habits enabling us to live responsibly with what we have. However, just as MJ DeMarco speaks to in Unscripted and TMF , everything I read was about building my wealth for the next 30, 40, or 50 years down the road. I would be struggling to scrape every extra penny into savings or mutual funds for the rest of my life, then probably die before I could ever use it. I just thought there has to be a different way. Then MJ’s Unscripted showed up in my Audible recommendations.

I read Unscripted first based on some reviews and am glad I did. It was more of the wakeup call I needed to really see how much I have been living inside the lines. Now I am ¾ of the way through TMF and finally feel that living a productive and lucrative life outside the norm is actually possible (before the age of 70.) I finally believe that instead of being an idea person I can start focusing on actions that is going to allow me to implement those ideas. My goal within the next five years is to learn the skills (I’ve already started with EDX.org) I need to create a system and become a “producer,” so that I can make a difference and my family and I can finally live. I believe the passion and skills of our youth are undervalued and hide beneath years of following the “script.” I hope to tap into some of that old passion and innovation and really allow it to turn into something bigger, something life-changing. I plan on utilizing this Forum to both gain insight and share what I learn on my journey as well as to help keep me accountable. I know how short life can be, and it is time to start living that way.
It's good to have you here.I have started working on myself too.I wish you success in your goals and family.Nothing is impossible.Welcome to the Forum.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro thank you for sharing how you got here.

Hope to see and hear more from you.

NLRDesign

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 25, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Great intro thank you for sharing how you got here.

Hope to see and hear more from you.
Thank you! I've already gained so much from the little time I've been on here - there's such a wealth of information! Also, I think it is incredible that you allow yourself to be personally involved with your followers - I know it makes a huge difference.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...