The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cool New Product I Have Been Offered To Distribute

5hpstickers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 12, 2012
New York
Hey Everyone,

Some of you may know I own www.5hpstickers.com which is just starting up and is growing slowly. I just feel it could never really be something fastlane.

Not too long ago (about a month or so ago) I was offered the opportunity to distribute a product that appeals to younger kids and teens, maybe even some young adults. I was offered to be the sole US distributor. I quickly made a website for the product to collect emails of those interested in the product.

I have collected 151 emails and also have reached 500 fans of Facebook for it without even promoting it. I receive emails and messages on the page all the time from people requesting the product.

THE PROBLEM IS:

These things are manufactured in China and they sent me two samples to test. I found some small issues with them which the creator (UK based) said would be fixed in the next batch. From the people who have gotten the product overseas most reviews are great but there are also a handful of complaints of the quality and pieces breaking.

I also have no experience in importing and I do not really have the space/capital to buy large quantities of inventory.

I really wanted to approach local shops in the Tri-state are who I know would be interested in the product but at the same time I am not sure if they will try to go direct to the source to try to undercut me.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this? There is obviously a demand for the product and it will definitely sell since I get messages from people in Italy, Spain, Australia, and even had someone contact me from Israel (I set this guy up with the creator in the UK working of 15% commission on any purchases made).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ãœbertreffen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 17, 2012
When will the next batch with the fixed issues come in?

After everything is where you feel you want it, why not open the flood gates? Inform them that it's a pre-order and use the cash flow to purchase in bulk. This angle avoids getting others involved.

You can get items from China (or the UK) to the USA pretty fast if you're willing to pay for expedited shipping. All of which may look better on you if you overshoot the ETA and they get items in faster than anticipated.

Is this your only option? No, but it turns customers into buyers real quick.

If you don't have enough cash flow upfront you could try and work out a deal with the guy to have a less buy-in. Even if that means a reduction in your WD structure. You already pushed one direct sale to him directly, use that towards your barter. What about different payment terms?

5hpstickers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 12, 2012
New York
When will the next batch with the fixed issues come in?

After everything is where you feel you want it, why not open the flood gates? Inform them that it's a pre-order and use the cash flow to purchase in bulk. This angle avoids getting others involved. You can get items from China to the USA pretty fast if you're willing to pay for expedited shipping. All of which may look better on you if you overshoot the ETA and they get items in faster than anticipated.

Is this your only option? No, but it turns customers into buyers real quick.

There have been multiple batches shipped out to customers around the world so the issues should be fixed.

And the pre-order was what I was going to do around November so I could get them in time for Christmas but I backed out because I am not sure what the deal is with something like this scenario: some assembly is required for the product but in general can I be sued if they buy the product and get injured on it?

That is what has held me back from jumping on this, because honestly with the amount of requests and the same people continuously emailing me about them I could triple the amount of money I made this month with my sticker site in just my first order of the product from the manufacturer.

The factory who made the product actually tried undercutting the company who wanted to distribute them and offered me better pricing to manufacture them under my own brand.

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I have collected 151 emails and also have reached 500 fans of Facebook for it without even promoting it. I receive emails and messages on the page all the time from people requesting the product.

How did you go about doing this?

Would you be interested in partnering up with people with the product you are distributing? You mentioned the guy from Isreal. Did he contact you about distributing the product? I'm curious about what the product is. I live in Australia.

5hpstickers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 12, 2012
New York
How did you go about doing this?

Would you be interested in partnering up with people with the product you are distributing? You mentioned the guy from Isreal. Did he contact you about distributing the product? I'm curious about what the product is. I live in Australia.

I would definitely be interested in partnering up to have others distribute in other countries. Yes the guy from Israel contacted me about becoming a distributor in Israel since he owns the only store in Israel related in the niche of the product.

I actually have people from Australia contact me all the time regarding the product, so this could possibly work.

Shoot me an email to jose@5hpstickers.com

Ãœbertreffen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 17, 2012
some assembly is required for the product but in general can I be sued if they buy the product and get injured on it?

I'd advise you to get in contact with legal counsel for anything you're uncertain about.

Toys shouldn't be taken lightly. There's a reason why there's age groups for certain toys and many hazards on even just the cardboard boxes.

That is what has held me back from jumping on this, because honestly with the amount of requests and the same people continuously emailing me about them I could triple the amount of money I made this month with my sticker site in just my first order of the product from the manufacturer.

The factory who made the product actually tried undercutting the company who wanted to distribute them and offered me better pricing to manufacture them under my own brand.

Sounds like you have a few options as well as open opportunity in this thread alone. Don't let fear stop you now. Keep pushing forward.

5hpstickers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 12, 2012
New York
Sounds like you have a few options as well as open opportunity in this thread alone. Don't let fear stop you now. Keep pushing forward.

Thank you for the encouragement, I have contacted the manufacturer to find out more info on getting the product and distribution. I hope that I can get this going soon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.