The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Converting to an out-sourcing web design company

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Dylan Curran

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Aug 10, 2016
Ireland
Well I have finished TMF , and yep, blew my mind. I've read many books such as Think and Grow Rich, 7 Habits of Highly Successful People, The Slight Edge, etc. And while they were decent, and gave good information, I never really felt connected to them. I understood the concepts, but I would always kind of come out thinking "so that's it?".

The book has ignited a fire in me I have never really felt before, and an obsession to work and get the right things done (could also be the Modafinil I've started taking but I'll give them both their dues).

Moving on, I own a relatively new, freelance web design company. I trade underneath my own name.

I've had a few clients, averaging around €500-€750 per client, with maybe 20-30 hours of work. This is ALRIGHT, but I have really struggled to get work despite my best efforts and the clients I have had weren't exactly inspiring. As a fairly young student, it's difficult to get businesses to respect me or even give me a chance, despite my skills being superior to pretty much anybody in the general area.

So after reading TMF , and in particular the sections about 'look big, act small' and to stop selling time for money, I have been considering re-branding. Changing to an actual business name, establishing an LLC, and giving the appearance of an established and growing company with multiple employees offering multiple services.

Once I have a respectable premium company established, I can start charging premium rates. This is where I'll begin outsourcing any work I get to UpWork, taking perhaps a 20% cut. With some decent marketing skills and a lot of networking, I believe I can make this work. I live in a country where this kind of thing isn't common at all, and would be quite easy to pull off.

I have the skills to develop fully fledged websites, and don't technically need to out-source, but I'm sick of spending all my time pulling my hair out and barely paying the bills. There's many out there better than me, who will do the work for a cheaper rate, but don't have any marketing or networking skills. Or the know-how. And I believe I do.

This is a loose draft of the plan anyway, I'll be starting the entire process and perhaps even a process thread tomorrow. If it fails, it fails. I move on and I learn. If anyone has any advice, I'd absolutely love to hear it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"Built to Sell" is a great book.

As is "The 7 Day Startup".

These two podcasts are excellent:
www.tropicalmba.com/services
www.tropicalmba.com/consulting

There's a few members building web dev/design agencies, or PPC agencies, and a few threads about cold-calling, pricing, etc.

Good luck!

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
1. Always start local first.
- Majority of businesses will start with closest possible options.
- You have limitless advertising choices.
- You can reach to whoever you want in no time.

2. Don't "make websites", "provide solutions".
Situation A:
Ad: Do you want to increase your profits?
Client: Yes, how?
Situation B:
Ad: We create websites / Do you need a website?
Client: Why do I need one?
- Feel the difference?

3. Even "using" this reframing, work on an actual solution(s).
- Number 2 is merely a reframing, because making websites, without having a particular set of skills, is nothing more than just making websites.

Last edited:

Dylan Curran

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Aug 10, 2016
Ireland
"Built to Sell" is a great book.

As is "The 7 Day Startup".

These two podcasts are excellent:
www.tropicalmba.com/services
www.tropicalmba.com/consulting

There's a few members building web dev/design agencies, or PPC agencies, and a few threads about cold-calling, pricing, etc.

Good luck!

Thank you very much. I'm going to look up these books and read them during the week. The podcasts are definitely worth a listen to as well, seems like valuable advice, plus there's a wealth of information on this forum I can tap into.

Cheers!

Dylan Curran

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Aug 10, 2016
Ireland
1. Always start local first.
- Majority of businesses will start with closest possible options.
- You have limitless advertising choices.
- You can reach to whoever you want in no time.

2. Don't "make websites", "provide solutions".
Situation A:
Ad: Do you want to increase your profits?
Client: Yes, how?
Situation B:
Ad: We create websites / Do you need a website?
Client: Why do I need one?
- Feel the difference?

3. Even "using" this reframing, work on an actual solution(s).
- Number 2 is merely a reframing, because making websites, without having a particular set of skills, is nothing more than just making websites.

1. I have a small local following I can tap into, mass cold-emailing business directories of the area will probably be my first task once I complete the website.

2. Indeed, the USP I'm developing will be giving businesses the means to make more money online, and tap into the potential of the Internet. Providing a free quote and consultation will no doubt entice many people as well.

3. That's what I've done so far, all I have done is make websites without any sort of vision or core problem to solve which dictates the work I do. Going to be changing very swiftly.

Thanks very much for the advice!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.