The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Commuting: The scourge of the sidewalk/slowlane

Anything related to matters of the mind

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes... commuting was the nail in the coffin for me, and looking back - it what was what drove me into wanting out of the 9-5.

Mind-numbing meetings and corporate culture was bad enough, don't me wrong. But spending all that time on trains and trams five days a week (even though yes, I could read or listen to audio books) - often with delays, icy roads, and feeling like you're part of a herd of cattle in line at the train platform really made me think "there's gotta be a better way to make a living" LOL.

wordwarrior

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 16, 2019
Montreal, Canada
There's a CBC article on a Statistics Canada study about Canadians' commutes:

Time is money: Here's how your commute is costing you both | CBC News

To me, this is the absolute worse facet of the sidewalk/slowlane. It's the ultimate prostitution of time. Showing up for work eight hours a day (if you're lucky) is one thing. Losing time getting to and from there is another thing entirely, as you don't even get paid for it. It's even worse if you have to spent time driving, which saps your attention, as opposed to sitting on a train or bus. At least, then you can spend the time reading or even writing.

In Montreal, starting in 2020, they'll be closing the tunnel for one of the train lines that runs under Mount Royal from the suburbs into downtown. This is part of the construction of a new light rail line called the REM. Commuters will instead have the option of stopping at a train station three stations short of central station and taking a bus to a subway. To call this disruptive is an understatement.

There's real economic value in either working closer to home or working from home. And, obviously, this is one of the most compelling arguments for the Fastlane.

Anyway, rant over :)

Edit: fixed typo

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.