The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Commandment of control question.

Anything related to matters of the mind

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You're thinking about it too neurotically and to be honest, it is sad.

So neurotically that I could also argue that if an asteroid hits the earth and kills everyone, you have no control either. So why bother? Just get a job for life.

That said, Commandment of Control is about non-recourse control.

If my hosting company cancels me, I find another.

I have recourse.

If my entire personality is a YT channel with 1M subscribers and YT cancels my account, I'm out with NO recourse.

So sad that people waste their time and go to this extent trying to be dubunkingly edgy with what is really a simple principle.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Certrainly, no human has ever had full control over anything. Even the mightiest kings and emperors are only as powerful and strong as their own health, and never immune to accidents or "acts of God" (natural disasters for example).

So yeah, none of us are in full control of our lives. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Or get some uncurable disease out of nowhere.

In terms of business - what MJ talks about in the book - is essentially getting and obtaining as much as control as possible. It's about minimizing risk (not eliminating it). Take for instance your example about hosting. Sure, something *could* happen with your hosting provider, but one could minimize that risk by using a decentralized hosting solution (CDN networks), run backup sites, etc. There are always ways to put your eggs in more than one basket.

Some things we can never control, but that shouldn't discourage you from pursuing a possibly great opportunity. Otherwise we would all live in paranoia and never take risks. The key is just to be aware of the things that COULD go wrong, and thus take measures to minimize them = gain more control.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Hello, dear Fastliners.
I'm a newbie here.
Please pardon my English (it's one of my weaknesses over which I'm working vigorously).
I'm in the process of reading The Millionaire Fastlane MJ DeMarco, a great book which shed the light of my faulty mindset.
Of course like in case of newbies there is some But (many of them, but for now this is one I think crucial for me to fully drawing context).

I just finished chapter regarding commandment of control and have some thoughts/questions.
I did quick research in topics and find that Damian Pros wrote the same thoughts I experience after reading this chapter.
Damian quote
"All businesses violate the commandment of control.

There will always be some outside influence that has power to cause you trouble. There will always be things that you can't control.

Even with your own website, do you think your hosting provider can't deplatform you?

There are various degrees of control between different business models. You never have absolute control, just illusion of control."

Exact my doubts.
MJ (high regards) when creating his website business I assume use external hosting, isn't it a violation of this commandment? Is true control really exist?
Law regulation, internet provider, phone provider, and for many other factors we never gain control.

Appreciate your insights (of course most valuable will be from author himself).

Thank you in advance.

Are you from Germany? You sound like Immanual Kant.

You know, that guy who said that since we don't know EVERYTHING, we can't know ANYTHING?

Yeah he was a loon.

The concept of control, like everything else, is contextual. You can control your prices at your business and face the consequences. You can't control your wage at your job.

You're thinking like a rationalist, which means you have divorced your concepts from reality, so you're all structure and no...content. Practice visualizing what your words refer to in reality.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015

So neurotically that I could also argue that if an asteroid hits the earth and kills everyone, you have no control either. So why bother? Just get a job for life.

I have recourse.

If my entire personality is a YT channel with 1M subscribers and YT cancels my account, I'm out with NO recourse.

So sad that people waste their time and go to this extent trying to be dubunkingly edgy with what is really a simple principle.

His intentions are probably honest but his method of thinking is flawed. It's actually a common problem, especially among university professors.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Thank you. I think It's true.
Will try to visualizing what my words refer to in reality

The best book I've come across that addresses this is called: "Understanding Objectivism" by Leonard Peikoff.

He taught the philosophy of Objectivism to many students and he realized that a lot of people who become objectivists struggle with rationalism. They hear the philosophy, the structure of the logic makes sense to them and they agree, but they don't actually understand it because they only know how to use logical deduction, and not induction.

Deduction is when you start with a concept or definition and apply formal logic to derive a conclusion. Induction is when you look at reality first and then derive your facts, concepts and principles from what you observe.

What you did was you took the word "Control", took the definition as an absolute, and then tried to deduce a bunch of conclusions from that - its referred to as a floating concept when you do that, meaning it is detached from actual instances.

Here's an exercise. Try to observe ten examples of 'control' in the real world, and when you do, use your words to describe what you see. You might see a person driving a car, controlling the direction by turning the steering wheel. Or perhaps you might feel an urge to eat ice cream, but use self control and opt for broccoli instead.

Probably that rationalist habit is embedded deeply in the way you think so its not a quick fix, but if you keep making efforts to connect your concepts to what you see in the real world and not just in your imagination, you'll get better at it over time.

Matt Dassel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 15, 2018
In the scope of strategy

Control could be thought of also as being able to have other options. A degree of independence that doesn't bring you back to the zero point. No amount of volatility (if you are familiar with financial markets) will kill you totally.

If a company doesn't want business with you, you don't lose your work until then and you can find another.

When you produce a product but a certain group doesn't want to buy it, you can still try to market it to somebody else.

If you suffer sabotage from another competitor or government scrutinity, your losses are contained to a certain level. Leaving you with enough to recover (if you have enough options).

MaciekWado

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 6, 2019
Certrainly, no human has ever had full control over anything. Even the mightiest kings and emperors are only as powerful and strong as their own health, and never immune to accidents or "acts of God" (natural disasters for example).

So yeah, none of us are in full control of our lives. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Or get some uncurable disease out of nowhere.

In terms of business - what MJ talks about in the book - is essentially getting and obtaining as much as control as possible. It's about minimizing risk (not eliminating it). Take for instance your example about hosting. Sure, something *could* happen with your hosting provider, but one could minimize that risk by using a decentralized hosting solution (CDN networks), run backup sites, etc. There are always ways to put your eggs in more than one basket.

Some things we can never control, but that shouldn't discourage you from pursuing a possibly great opportunity. Otherwise we would all live in paranoia and never take risks. The key is just to be aware of the things that COULD go wrong, and thus take measures to minimize them = gain more control.
Thank you very much,
Now is all clear.
Thanks everyone.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks again.
Truly appreciated.
So basically I'm lack of induction and need work on that.
Now Im aware of ma flaws and for sure try practice.
I know it will not be easy.
Easy is only not to do anything.
One more time thank you.

Don't take my word for it, but that's how it seems to me.

MaciekWado

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 6, 2019
Hello, dear Fastliners.
I'm a newbie here.
Please pardon my English (it's one of my weaknesses over which I'm working vigorously).
I'm in the process of reading The Millionaire Fastlane MJ DeMarco, a great book which shed the light of my faulty mindset.
Of course like in case of newbies there is some But (many of them, but for now this is one I think crucial for me to fully drawing context).

I just finished chapter regarding commandment of control and have some thoughts/questions.
I did quick research in topics and find that Damian Pros wrote the same thoughts I experience after reading this chapter.
Damian quote
"All businesses violate the commandment of control.

There will always be some outside influence that has power to cause you trouble. There will always be things that you can't control.

Even with your own website, do you think your hosting provider can't deplatform you?

There are various degrees of control between different business models. You never have absolute control, just illusion of control."

Exact my doubts.
MJ (high regards) when creating his website business I assume use external hosting, isn't it a violation of this commandment? Is true control really exist?
Law regulation, internet provider, phone provider, and for many other factors we never gain control.

Appreciate your insights (of course most valuable will be from author himself).

Thank you in advance.

MaciekWado

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 6, 2019

I have recourse.

Thank you, MJ.
I think I was misunderstood.
The goal wasn't to debunk your statement or claim that is flawed.
If this sound like that then sorry honestly.
Are you really so surprised taking into consideration how many brainwashing books others publish? (even you perfectly pointed that)
Your books truly shed light about how to change the mindset and because I truly think your opinion is important I posted such question.
I just simply wanna your opinion as an author who created this and can give the best insight, not to point that you are wrong rather ask you exact thoughts
I asked this question because wanna learn and to know to what extent I should watch on this commandment.
That is why I asking to not be such neurotic.
P.S I truly appreciate your work. To be honest this book is one of the best and after one chapter I already buy the second one.

P.S 2
"So sad that people waste their time and go to this extent trying to be dubunkingly edgy with what is really a simple principle. " that is why try to change my thinking to get out from slowline and thanks to you, I think it is possible.

Thank you one more time MJ.

Last edited:

MaciekWado

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 6, 2019

You know, that guy who said that since we don't know EVERYTHING, we can't know ANYTHING?

Yeah he was a loon.

The concept of control, like everything else, is contextual. You can control your prices at your business and face the consequences. You can't control your wage at your job.

You're thinking like a rationalist, which means you have divorced your concepts from reality, so you're all structure and no...content. Practice visualizing what your words refer to in reality.

From Poland.
Thank you. That is why posted this question as you more expierienced can give me good light on that.

MaciekWado

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 6, 2019

Yeah he was a loon.

Thank you. I think It's true.
Will try to visualizing what my words refer to in reality

MaciekWado

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 6, 2019
The best book I've come across that addresses this is called: "Understanding Objectivism" by Leonard Peikoff.

He taught the philosophy of Objectivism to many students and he realized that a lot of people who become objectivists struggle with rationalism. They hear the philosophy, the structure of the logic makes sense to them and they agree, but they don't actually understand it because they only know how to use logical deduction, and not induction.

Deduction is when you start with a concept or definition and apply formal logic to derive a conclusion. Induction is when you look at reality first and then derive your facts, concepts and principles from what you observe.

What you did was you took the word "Control", took the definition as an absolute, and then tried to deduce a bunch of conclusions from that - its referred to as a floating concept when you do that, meaning it is detached from actual instances.

Here's an exercise. Try to observe ten examples of 'control' in the real world, and when you do, use your words to describe what you see. You might see a person driving a car, controlling the direction by turning the steering wheel. Or perhaps you might feel an urge to eat ice cream, but use self control and opt for broccoli instead.

Probably that rationalist habit is embedded deeply in the way you think so its not a quick fix, but if you keep making efforts to connect your concepts to what you see in the real world and not just in your imagination, you'll get better at it over time.

Thanks again.
Truly appreciated.
So basically I'm lack of induction and need work on that.
Now Im aware of ma flaws and for sure try practice.
I know it will not be easy.
Easy is only not to do anything.
One more time thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!