The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

College helped me socialize.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
It helped me realize I didn't belong there

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
It has helped me to realize how unique of a mindset and personality I have and to understand the importance of making the most of the opportunities presented to me and to make the most of each day.

"Please think about your legacy, because you're writing it everyday" - Gary Vaynerchuck

YoungGun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 2, 2015
I am Currently going to college, so far it has taught me a lot.

Socialization and building a network. Where else can you find something in common with millions of other students, as well as having the opportunity to make an impact on their lives? Sometimes it's not what you know it's who you know.

Getting involved in organizations can be a huge pay off as well. The experiences you can learn through leadership opportunities can be applied to your business or profession down the road. This also can tie back to good relationships and networking.

• Banned

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
It helped me realize I didn't belong there
Yes, this too. At one point grad school was an option but I quickly realized this was an ambitionless life. So I had to get it right. I knew that making people happy was a priority so I vowed to do this, even when I'm forty

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
And apparently, reply. Do you have any contribution to bring to the table? Not to offend you but a$$-kissing is not allowed in the fastlane forum.
You have posted 22 times in close to two years here. Maybe you should bring a little more to the table before you call someone else out.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
You have posted 22 times in close to two years here. Maybe you should bring a little more to the table before you call someone else out.
This is not a callout and its not personal. But we all need to strive to adopt better, giving, productive behaviors. We are all here to learn from each other.

PostScript we all had to start somewhere. I indeed plan to give back to this forum through time. But you better act like you belong here from the start. What is your deepest fear?

To the post below me (yes, the original "offender") - don't act condescending to anyone. Most importantly, not even me. We will eat you up. Get back to work, I can smell the BS from the internet cable.

Last edited:

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
This is not a callout and its not personal. But we all need to strive to adopt better, giving, productive behaviors. We are all here to learn from each other.

PostScript we all had to start somewhere. I indeed plan to give back to this forum through time. But you better act like you belong here from the start. What is your deepest fear?

To the post below me (yes, the original "offender") - don't act condescending to anyone. Most importantly, not even me. We will eat you up. Get back to work, I can smell the BS from the internet cable.
I can't figure out if you have some psychological issues or you're just joking...

Which one is it?

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
For those of you still in college, please read Conquer Your Campus by Mark Redman. To quote that book, "I have gotten so much mileage it's scary". It helps you network.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
  • I learned to drink... a lot.

• I learned that I couldn't sit and do something that I thought was pointless, no matter how hard I willed myself to.

• I learned you can use street-smarts to work out what they will ask in the exams, do 2 weeks work each year, and scrape by.

• I learned that pisses people off who do a lot of studying.

• I learned "just in time" learning.

• I've since learned that ^^^ this was probably the best thing I learned.

• I learned that some infinities are bigger than others - although 25 years later I still haven't learned why I had to learn that.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Mr. Black, thank you for your contribution. Here's some like$.

I was also a mathematics major, I suppose it's philosophy with symbols. Construction with tinfoil, if you know what I mean.

But it's truly about working smart, not hard. Start out by working hard, however - as you gain experience, the hard turns to smart.

So if they're pissed that we "cheated" by being smart (as long as it doesn't break the academic rules), let them be mad. I'll take the mad, sad, churn it out and make them glad. Somehow.

Again, thank you.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Post of the year right here. I'm not even being sarcastic, it's simply concise and to the point. Simple and effective.

You win sir, take my $100 fake internet money donation.

:)

Not answering directly to Mr @GrumpyCat here, but for those of you that took my answer as too simplistic, sarcastic or not serious.

So those who need a more detailed answer to take me serious: I spent 2.5 years, one in the top engineering school of Portugal, and another in the top Management school of Portugal (mentioning for the sake of discounting my input as "but it may be different in a good school").

College, for most entrepreneurs, is just a safety net, and safety is good, but the "net" part will get you stuck. I didn't believe in myself, that I could possible make some kind of decent "money", to beat a decent wage or to consider actually dropping out. So I spent the last 1.5 years half assing college, and half assing my business. It took making daily what I spent yearly on tuition to actually understand that half-assing and spending my time doing something I loathe was actually not worth it and damaging the future of my business.

Is it good for networking? Of course. So is getting a flight ticket and renting an apartment in Scottsdale, Pucket, Bali, Shanghai.

And I won't even start how the hell someone find acceptable to pay anything more than 5.000$ yearly in tuition fees.

Probably the last thread I post in this forum about college, as this has been debated exhaustively already here, if anyone has any specific (good) question, feel free.

Last edited:

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
  • I learned that I couldn't sit and do something that I thought was pointless, no matter how hard I willed myself to.
  • I learned that some infinities are bigger than others - although 25 years later I still haven't learned why I had to learn that.

@Andy Black , this pretty much summarizes the whole experience. The 2nd and last sentences were always my biggest painpoints... I just... couldn't

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Not answering directly to Mr @GrumpyCat here, but for those of you that took my answer as too simplistic, sarcastic or not serious.

So those who need a more detailed answer to take me serious: I spent 2.5 years, one in the top engineering school of Portugal, and another in the top Management school of Portugal (mentioning for the sake of discounting my input as "but it may be different in a good school").

College, for most entrepreneurs, is just a safety net, and safety is good, but the "net" part will get you stuck. I didn't believe in myself, that I could possible make some kind of decent "money", to beat a decent wage or to consider actually dropping out. So I spent the last 1.5 years half assing college, and half assing my business. It took making daily what I spent yearly on tuition to actually understand that half-assing and spending my time doing something I loathe was actually not worth it and damaging the future of my business.

Is it good for networking? Of course. So is getting a flight ticket and renting an apartment in Scottsdale, Pucket, Bali, Shanghai.

And I won't even start how the hell someone find acceptable to pay anything more than 5.000$ yearly in tuition fees.

Probably the last thread I post in this forum about college, as this has been debated exhaustively already here, if anyone has any specific (good) question, feel free.
Good, elaborate, yet specific answer. If you make the right choices then you are one step closer to your goal. Which is...?

P.S. Great profile picture, TG. Mine is coming soon.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I learned to research instead of believing everything I hear and taking other people's word for it, find the truth, facts, and evidence. That was probably the most important thing I learned. I literally had professor's that challenged me to be the best, and if I didn't do my best, they'd make me do it all over again. I went to a business college that had high expectations of becoming a business professional. And when I was tired and wearing out, they would encourage me to keep going because they knew I had the potential. Instead of bailing out of the professors everyone hated, I specifically enjoyed those challenging professors, because I knew they expected me to do my best. If I didn't got to college, I can tell you I wouldn't be here. lol And I know that sounds strange, but really having to side walk parents that never went to college, it was rising above one mindset, which probably pushed me forward to keep moving higher and higher. I believe it basically was the rocket launcher to get here. lol

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007