The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Closing Techniques Help with Small Sales, Not Big Sales

Marketing, social media, advertising

Do you sell big-ticket items (products/services with $50,000 minimum contract value)?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
There is enough sales literature in existence to read for an entire lifetime. I ignore nearly all of it, and pay attention only to the content relevant to me: How do I "close" large sales?

Many of the content that exists about sales - particularly about closing techniques - is quite helpful for small sales. However, when you start dealing with five figure, six-figure, seven figure - and higher - transactions - the evidence suggests that "closing techniques" are kind of corny gimmicks that do NOT help us land the large contract.

Below are a few selected excerpts from SPIN Selling (The Best Validated Sales Method Available Today, Developed From Research Studies of 35,000 Sales Calls.) <<-- Link

What is Closing?

"Unfortunately, very few of the writers who have so persuasively filled volumes on how to close have defined the term closing." (page 21)

Closing for Real
Talking to other people certainly influenced my opinions. But there's nothing so powerful as a real-life personal experience - which was what finally convinced me that closing is by far the most important of all selling skills. I had left my safe university job and had set up the Huthwaite organization. Now, I realized, selling wasn't just an academic study for me. I had to sell my services or go hungry. So I enrolled in a sales training program - and paid particular attention to the area of closing techniques.

In the week following the program, I had an appointment with a potential client with whom I'd been talking for several months in an attempt to sell this client a research project. I decided to try an Alternative Close. I'll never forget the result. "Would you prefer the project to begin in September or in November?" I asked, a little nervously. "Let's start in September," my client answered - and I'd gotten my first big sale. I was delighted. I said the magic words and was rewarded with an order. I doubt if even J. Douglas Edwards, the father of closing, could have been more enthusiastic about closing than I was at that moment. For more than a year after my first success, I closed the hell out of everyone. I now realize that I probably cost myself and my company a lot of lost business during that year. But at the time I was a totally convinced hard closer. After all, my personal experience showed that using an Alternative Close had given me my first big piece of business. I knew closing worked.

I look back on my enthusiasm for closing with real embarrassment. From what I now know about success in the larger sale, I see closing techniques as both ineffective and dangerous. I've evidence that they lose much more business than they gain. What made me turn against methods that seemed so important to my own success? The rest of this chapter describes the series of studies that finally convinced me that traditional closing techniques have no place in larger sales. (page 23)

Two Conclusions
How should we interpret these results? The first finding is that, with both high - and low-value goods, the average transaction time is reduced as the number of closes is increased. So we can draw the conclusion: By forcing the customer into a decision, closing techniques speed the sales transaction.

This would be an important finding - and a big plus for the use of closing techniques - if your business were a low-value retail operation or involved door-to-door selling of low-value products. If there's a queue of customers waiting for your attention, or an infinitely long street with doors on both sides just waiting to be knocked on, then the shorter the sale, the more customers you'll be able to serve.

But this is not usually the problem in larger sales. You normally want more time with each customer, not less. In most major-account sales forces, the most common complaint is that you can't get enough time with the right people. I don't think I've ever heard anyone in larger sales say, "How can I cut down on the time I'm spending with key decision makers?" However, a number of companies have called Huthwaite in to advise them on ways to increase sales time with customers. My point's a simple one: In small sales it's generally desirable to keep the transaction time short; in larger sales - for a whole variety of reasons - a shorter transaction time has a few advantages and many penalties.

The second conclusion we can draw from our study is about the relationship of closing to price: Closing techniques may increase the chances of making a sale with a low-priced products. With expensive products or services, they reduce the chances of making a sale.

As we've seen, this conclusion comes not only from our research but also from the general psychological rule that pressure is more likely to be effective with small decisions than larger ones. (page 33)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I have been trying to get this as an audiobook for sometime but I can't find it anywhere online. I think it might be region blocked (Colombia).

Looks great and I have seen this technique used (very successfully) elsewhere on high ticket items but didn't know it originated here.

Edit* - Called Audible and it is indeed blocked cause I am in Colombia. I will get it next weekend when I am back in Canada.

Last edited:

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
Thanks for your input. I can relate to this because I have door-to-door experience selling security systems that are ~$50/mo ("or as much as a water bill!" ;)) so we were taught to make the selling process as quick and simple as possible. I would always use a 'closing technique' even if I didn't feel it would close since there are thousands of other doors to knock on. Can't imagine doing that for selling homes!

• Banned

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I have been trying to get this as an audiobook for sometime but I can't find it anywhere online. I think it might be region blocked (Colombia).

Looks great and I have seen this technique used (very successfully) elsewhere on high ticket items but didn't know it originated here.

Edit* - Called Audible and it is indeed blocked cause I am in Colombia. I will get it next weekend when I am back in Canada.

The book should be the #1 book read by salespeople that sell services and products with significant costs. Such people are the minority...

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 20, 2016
Westfield, IN
I saw the post title and immediately thought of SPIN Selling. I'm about halfway through it right now. Fantastic read!

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
This seems like sound advice from my point of view. I deal with "mid priced" sales by this standard (typical customer spends about $750 over time with us, sometimes up to $3k+)

For my customer, this is often a significant financial investment. I've noticed that rushing or forcing the sale does *NOT* tend to get good results.

Many times, I've had a good lead go dark on me for *over 6 months*. I mean, we've had a phone conversation, rapport, everything... and then they just disappear.

I keep following up, with our personalized and automated emails / phone calls / texts... never forcing, just circling around to check in.

It's not uncommon to see someone FINALLY spend $1k after they first contacted us 6 months ago, or more.

We also have a limited pool of customers, so it's counter-productive to rush them out the door just because they're not going to buy that instant.

The one thing I'd say: it's not necessarily about the $$$$$$ value of the sale, but more the "percentage" it represents to the customer.

If the sale represents "a lot of money" to the intended customer, you may want to back off, and take a longer, more conversational approach to the sale, free of any hard closes.

Just my $.02,

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I picked up a hard back copy in Canada. I'll review once Im done.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.