The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Closing a sale within your website...

Marketing, social media, advertising

zavewithaz11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 19, 2021
I run and manage an eccommerce website selling trendy items. I have been trying to think of small details or an extra pop-up within my site that will give people the confidence to buy from me. Is there anyone who can give me some tips on what to add into my site that will raise my chances of selling my product to 70% of visitors. The typical factors like price, presentation, placement, etc will all play a role in my success, but what other strategies can I use to close the deal?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JoeTheShoe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jan 16, 2021
I run and manage an eccommerce website selling trendy items. I have been trying to think of small details or an extra pop-up within my site that will give people the confidence to buy from me. Is there anyone who can give me some tips on what to add into my site that will raise my chances of selling my product to 70% of visitors. The typical factors like price, presentation, placement, etc will all play a role in my success, but what other strategies can I use to close the deal?
Have you thought about a related item pop up? For example if I was selling record players, just before checkout I would add “shoppers who bought record players, also bought this” or even go a bit presumptive “add these styluses to your basket”

I’ve had 3 online businesses, 1 did well, two failed, the biggest issues I found were credibility (why should I buy from your website and not Amazon?) Trustworthiness (how do I know this online shop that I’ve never heard of isn’t going to take my money and not deliver the good) and the most important thing is how visible the website is. Doesn’t matter how good the product is, if you haven’t got traffic, you won’t get sales. I was once told I’d have to spend £1500 a week... a week!! On marketing just to get noticed online. Not sure how true it is but when you consider there are between 12 and 24 million e-commerce stores in the world, it makes sense.

I also think you are being a bit too ambitious trying to sell to 70% of store visitors, especially with “trendy items” you run the risk of trying to appeal to everyone which usually means you appeal to no one, believe me I’ve been there. The average conversion rate is 1.71%. Not trying to piss on your chips or anything but it’s important to know where you stand in the e-commerce world.

zavewithaz11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 19, 2021
Have you thought about a related item pop up? For example if I was selling record players, just before checkout I would add “shoppers who bought record players, also bought this” or even go a bit presumptive “add these styluses to your basket”

I’ve had 3 online businesses, 1 did well, two failed, the biggest issues I found were credibility (why should I buy from your website and not Amazon?) Trustworthiness (how do I know this online shop that I’ve never heard of isn’t going to take my money and not deliver the good) and the most important thing is how visible the website is. Doesn’t matter how good the product is, if you haven’t got traffic, you won’t get sales. I was once told I’d have to spend £1500 a week... a week!! On marketing just to get noticed online. Not sure how true it is but when you consider there are between 12 and 24 million e-commerce stores in the world, it makes sense.

I also think you are being a bit too ambitious trying to sell to 70% of store visitors, especially with “trendy items” you run the risk of trying to appeal to everyone which usually means you appeal to no one, believe me I’ve been there. The average conversion rate is 1.71%. Not trying to piss on your chips or anything but it’s important to know where you stand in the e-commerce world.
Thanks for replying. I can see how a related product pop-up might help to grab the sale with a more firm grip. I am going to work on adding that into my operation. I do know that 70% is very unrealistic haha, especially to start out. What I am looking for in putting an unrealistic number like that are great tips that will help me be more successful. Thank you for giving me one!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
70% of visitors
The only way you hit this number is if you aren't marketing very much. Even 7% is hard to hit when you are first starting out.

Before you worry about what "tricks to use", ask yourself, who buys this product? What do they like? What are there interests? How do they talk? Why should they buy from you?

Make sure you are presenting an experience that is favorable to them. Are you speaking their language? Look at your sales copy on your site. Is it generic, boilerplate? Do you speak like an established business would speak, or like the guy who just put up a site and doesn't know where to advertise? It the site easy to navigate? Do you have a bunch of products or a thin looking, scammy ecommerce store? Should you be using a funnel? (Gasp, I just summoned @Black_Dragon43 ). Do you have a phone number, a privacy policy, an easy return policy, a chat or form to answer questions for people? Are you charging shipping or is it free? Are you using high quality images or stock stuff they can use to find your competitors for cheaper?

Just some stuff to think about...

Once you've done the basics, I try to get mentioned in 3-5 articles in the press. Then I put an As Seen In section to the site and watch the improvement to conversion. And honestly, I think the chat is probably the best "trick" in the arsenal because people might actually tell you why they aren't buying... if you sound like a professional.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

zavewithaz11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 19, 2021
The only way you hit this number is if you aren't marketing very much. Even 7% is hard to hit when you are first starting out.

Before you worry about what "tricks to use", ask yourself, who buys this product? What do they like? What are there interests? How do they talk? Why should they buy from you?

Make sure you are presenting an experience that is favorable to them. Are you speaking their language? Look at your sales copy on your site. Is it generic, boilerplate? Do you speak like an established business would speak, or like the guy who just put up a site and doesn't know where to advertise? It the site easy to navigate? Do you have a bunch of products or a thin looking, scammy ecommerce store? Should you be using a funnel? (Gasp, I just summoned @Black_Dragon43 ). Do you have a phone number, a privacy policy, an easy return policy, a chat or form to answer questions for people? Are you charging shipping or is it free? Are you using high quality images or stock stuff they can use to find your competitors for cheaper?

Just some stuff to think about...

Once you've done the basics, I try to get mentioned in 3-5 articles in the press. Then I put an As Seen In section to the site and watch the improvement to conversion. And honestly, I think the chat is probably the best "trick" in the arsenal because people might actually tell you why they aren't buying... if you sound like a professional.
Thank you for the reply! You mentioned some valid points that I will take into consideration for overall presentation of my site. What I need to do is focus on adding more items to my arsenal so that people do not have a reason to hesitate when on my site. I agree that a lack of substance to a site is a big turnoff for me. When I have applied what we talked about to my site, I will post a link here and get peoples feedback. Thanks again for your help!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.