The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

christmas laser lights business

jamie2017

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 21, 2017
london
hey i've seen those laser lights people use on their houses and trees as an alternative to christmas lights and was wondering whether you guys think it would be a good business to start.

people would pay you to install them at christmas time?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Great business idea, duplicate what everyone else is selling and only make money a month or two out of the year.

My uncle sold Christmas lights and decorations. He does multi-million a year in profit. Granted it was a few years ago before he retired...

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
hey i've seen those laser lights people use on their houses and trees as an alternative to christmas lights and was wondering whether you guys think it would be a good business to start.

people would pay you to install them at christmas time?

Maybe a few years ago before they wound up in Walmart hardcore this past year...now everyone has them and you'd be competing at rock bottom prices after all the time spent creating/sourcing the lights. If you want to get into lighting, here is a better route.

Outdoor lighting - a year round business, but focus on the Holidays (be known as the holiday lighting company as your unique angle) (last quarter of year) when people want lights for Halloween and Christmas. I work with an outdoor lighting company and this is where the biggest part of their business comes from. In the off-season they still do sign lighting and commercial work for businesses. This isn't exactly fastlane per say, but this is the angle I would take to build something in the lighting industry. There also doesn't appear to be that much competition in most cities around it, but I know it gets searched a lot.

Oh, the LED light market also has great potential for commercial purposes.

Good luck!

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Maybe a few years ago before they wound up in Walmart hardcore this past year...now everyone has them and you'd be competing at rock bottom prices after all the time spent creating/sourcing the lights. If you want to get into lighting, here is a better route.

Outdoor lighting - a year round business, but focus on the Holidays (be known as the holiday lighting company as your unique angle) (last quarter of year) when people want lights for Halloween and Christmas. I work with an outdoor lighting company and this is where the biggest part of their business comes from. In the off-season they still do sign lighting and commercial work for businesses. This isn't exactly fastlane per say, but this is the angle I would take to build something in the lighting industry. There also doesn't appear to be that much competition in most cities around it, but I know it gets searched a lot.

Oh, the LED light market also has great potential for commercial purposes.

Good luck!

Great suggestions. You must use different angles and avenues to grow it so it's not a seasonal product.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I don't think think anyone would pay you to install them considering you just plug it into an outlet.

But the past 2 years they always sell out super quick.

If you're looking for a product to sell on Amazon for 2-3 months, sure. But I don't see this as anything more than a hustle.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
They F*cking give me seizures. My damn neighbors all had varying patterns, speeds, and colors. F*cking nightmare. I felt like a germ freak in a cespool. I was repelled like a hooker in church. I couldn't even drive into my own neighborhood without stopping multiple times for blackouts. People who don't even celebrate the real Christmas were creating unsynthesized mayhem in Christmas colors. Horrific. Terrifying. Debilitating.

You want to be a peddler of that nativity crack? You might as well just pass out heroin. I might need some if your new business visits my new neighborhood.

I'd rather your new business be stealing from orphans than installing more of that coma inducing laser light show from hell.

Other than that, good luck with your new business!

BradD

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 11, 2013
Ottawa
They F*cking give me seizures. My damn neighbors all had varying patterns, speeds, and colors. F*cking nightmare. I felt like a germ freak in a cespool. I was repelled like a hooker in church. I couldn't even drive into my own neighborhood without stopping multiple times for blackouts. People who don't even celebrate the real Christmas were creating unsynthesized mayhem in Christmas colors. Horrific. Terrifying. Debilitating.

You want to be a peddler of that nativity crack? You might as well just pass out heroin. I might need some if your new business visits my new neighborhood.

I'd rather your new business be stealing from orphans than installing more of that coma inducing laser light show from hell.

Lol but how do you really feel..

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
My uncle sold Christmas lights and decorations. He does multi-million a year in profit. Granted it was a few years ago before he retired...

Ya and? So what. buycostumes.com does millions in rev, does that mean everyone should start an online halloween costume shop?

Never limit the market or get in to seasonal supplies. Why lower your odds before even launching? I would rather cash in every fkn day, not one month.

It's fine to get in to the LED market space with the right angle, but don't just target Christmas, target, in addition, other multiple niches so you have revenue coming in at all times.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto

LOL

OP, this product is a trendy item which came out not too long ago and it wasn't even popular in North America. It's going to die down just like the icicle LED trend which replaced traditional Christmas lights. I haven't seen many homes with it, and I agree with the others, it's ugly, IMO. Can't someone easily steal it at night also and flip it on Craigslist?

For me, if I were to put up Christmas lights, I would just put a couple clean strips on the roof and a few on the pine trees, done. How about looking in to solutions to fix needs and problems in the space? There's many deaths every year associated to the installation of Christmas lights, lots of people fall off roofs and get killed. Many others are afraid to go on their roof for the same reason or they're afraid of heights. Invent something to easily install them without risking your life. Make the installation process easier. Then come out with nice and clean designs, bright LEDs which are energy efficient with timers to turn them off during the day. I really don't know the space myself and what's out there, so you'll have to look in to this and do some market research, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

This is just one subniche, then you should expand and get in to others, Halloween, Diwali, etc. Then expand to Homes (Interior - Kitchen Backsplash, etc), the list goes on.

Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I guess I've missed the Christmas light craze. We spend the Christmas season in Destin, Florida and not many Christmas lights there... unless you drive in to a neighborhood/ We've been home 1 time for Christmas and she, not me, put up a tree so I guess I wouldn't be a buyer of such as thing. If you are in to Christmas.... I don't know what all y'all have over there but how about selling Christmas trees with a catch..... you charge more because they give you their address/phone number and after Christmas, you come by and pick up the Christmas tree and take it where ever people take Christmas trees when they are done with them. lol And guess what you could sell at the Christmas tree lot.... the laser Christmas lights. You could have a few of them lit up to draw people in. I've never been to a Christmas tree lot but I don't think any of them sell accessories..... be the 1st! Oh... add on.... you could also set up next year. Save them time in the future by delivering them a tree next year. You have their address and phone number already..... upsell....

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Here's a better idea. Learn some copywriting skills and advertise outdoor night decorating 'sets' including 'christmas lights' for summer. I've got an older friend (mid 80's) who has a nice little fishing cottage down by the lake, and he's done the coolest thing: decorated all the trees around the place with christmas lights. Hanging out down there in the summertime is wonderful.

Christmas lights are basically useless in the winter anyway. Who the hell is walking around when it's minus 25? In the summertime, however, they're magical. Thousands of tiny stars, right in your backyard. There's a bit of copy right there. There could be business in creating that kind of backyard experience, even if it just involves the labor of decorating the trees.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
my neighbors are amazed at my magnificent multi color light show under my kitchen cabinets. they'd probably pay 300 for someone to put up a 20-30 led light strip with self adhesive backing, plug it in to the outlet and hand them the cool little remote.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.