The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Christmas Eve Sidewalk Storytime

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I've got a few wanted ads posted out on Craigslist. Pretty much if it's on this list, I probably have made it known publicly that I will pay cash for it. It's been very helpful for my reselling.

I get a text about an hour ago. I don't answer immediately, so the guy calls me. He's going on and on about he needs cash tonight for rent. He mentions rent about 5-6 times while we're on the phone. Anyway, he's got a bunch of video game stuff, and it's all Nintendo stuff (if you resell you know this is GOLD as Nintendo shit sells instantaneously.) I offer him $50, he counters saying he needs exactly $60 for rent. I accept, as I'm already looking at making a VERY easy $100+ profit for about an hours work.

We set up a meeting place. This is difficult because it needs to be somewhere he can bike to, as he doesn't have a car. I meet him at the fast food joint. Stuff looks give, we exchange. Immediately after he has the cash, he asks me where the closest place is to buy cigarettes. I tell him I don't know (truthfully.) He says "I really only needed $50 for rent, I need the extra money, I need to buy a pack."

Completely broke. No money for rent. And the $10 extra you have, you want to spend on cigarettes.

I've gotta go, family dinner. Before leaving, I've put his stuff in these bags and sprayed them with disinfected spray to get rid of the stench. Customers shouldn't have to deal with that. Merry Christmas.
Z1o3qFl.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hustling on Xmas eve huh? Impressive... most impressive.

vader-impressive.jpg

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hustling on Xmas eve huh? Impressive... most impressive.

vader-impressive.jpg

Come on now, I need inventory for entering the new year. ;)

You wouldn't think the biggest consumer event of the year would stop people's constant need to spend, spend, spend?

Last edited:

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Before leaving, I've put his stuff in these bags and sprayed them with disinfected spray to get rid of the stench. Customers shouldn't have to deal with that.

What did it smell like?

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Desperation...

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
What did it smell like?

Heavy cigarette smoke.

Normally I wouldn't care, some people in family smoked when I was growing up so the smell doesn't bother me like it does some. But this was really bad, like "smell it across the room" bad.

TheNextTrump

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 7, 2012
Omaha, NE.
Wanted Ads on CL during December = BIG MONEY.

I've always had great results from posting WANTED ads, but the last 3 weeks have been UNREAL.

Last seller:

Hey man I have about 30 n64 and SNES games I don’t play any more how much would you pay?

Would need a list of the games before making an offer, pictures are a plus.

He calls me…..

We talk for about 20 min. before I politely had to cut the conversation short. (Guy was in story mode)

Tells me how he has to pay rent, get xmas presents, buy a ham for family dinner and some new xmas lights. lol
Tells me how this year has been a rough one and he really just needs to catch a break.

During the call I squeeze a few titles out of him.

He had all the common Mario Zelda and DK games for both Consoles. Tells me his bottom dollar is $120

Closed the deal at $90.

Will profit $200+ after all fees (Shipping, gas, paypal, eBay)

I've noticed that the holidays bring out the (grimy) sellers, but so far they have been GREAT. Even if it requires a 10-15 min phone call to close the deal, or meeting Jack Blade on his mountain bike out side of Walmart. There is big money to be made, can't wait till next December..

Merry Xmas everyone!

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
There is big money to be made, can't wait till next December..

Still plenty of money to be made before then. Once spring rolls around, it's back to the auto parts. Looking to expand big time this year. :)

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Still plenty of money to be made before then. Once spring rolls around, it's back to the auto parts. Looking to expand big time this year. :)
What auto parts sell for you?

I tried taking headlights from the junk yard, polishing them to perfection and putting them on eBay/CL but either the years were wrong (97-00 Honda) or I was doing something wrong but that idea bombed completely.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
What auto parts sell for you?

I tried taking headlights from the junk yard, polishing them to perfection and putting them on eBay/CL but either the years were wrong (97-00 Honda) or I was doing something wrong but that idea bombed completely.

Buy my Kindle product when it releases next month. ;)

Your problem wasn't the years 1997-2000, it was the fact that it was a Honda. Obvious cars like the S2K excluded (which would never end up in a junkyard anyway) Honda parts aren't usually worth jack. Go European; Audi, BMW, Jaguar, etc.

I sell all kinds of different parts. Headlights, taillights, owner's manuals, interior trim pieces (glove boxes, center consoles, sun visors, etc.), ECUs, ABS modules/pumps, suspension pieces, axles, front grilles, seats, etc. Little bit of everything.

CosMoen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Feb 19, 2011
Do you resell on craigslist or ebay?

I used to hustle apple products I bought on craigslist and sold back on ebay, but the fees and shipping ate into my profit big time. I wonder what your margins are if you do resell on ebay after fees and all that.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Do you resell on craigslist or ebay?

I used to hustle apple products I bought on craigslist and sold back on ebay, but the fees and shipping ate into my profit big time. I wonder what your margins are if you do resell on ebay after fees and all that.

Depends on the item. If it is easy to ship I will sell on ebay or amazon. They take about a 15% fee, and you will usually lose at least 15% if you are only selling locally on Craigslist. If the item is a pain to ship then I will only sell locally.

I don't really know what my margins are, I don't really care. All I want to know when I buy something is "How fast can I get rid of this for a price that makes it worth it to me?"

I was at a store once and they had Call of Duty games on clearance for $9.99 (~$10.50 after tax.) They were selling online for $19, which is $16.15 after fees. Yet I bought every copy they had. Why? Because this was one of the top selling games on Amazon, so I was getting paid $5.50 for the time it took me to ship each game. They had 12 copies in stock so I made $66 on about a $150 investment. A lot of people who resell consider this terrible margins, but I sold all 12 games overnight. Took about half an hour to package them all. $66 isn't bad for <1 hour's work.

CosMoen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Feb 19, 2011
Depends on the item. If it is easy to ship I will sell on ebay or amazon. They take about a 15% fee, and you will usually lose at least 15% if you are only selling locally on Craigslist. If the item is a pain to ship then I will only sell locally.

I don't really know what my margins are, I don't really care. All I want to know when I buy something is "How fast can I get rid of this for a price that makes it worth it to me?"

I was at a store once and they had Call of Duty games on clearance for $9.99 (~$10.50 after tax.) They were selling online for $19, which is $16.15 after fees. Yet I bought every copy they had. Why? Because this was one of the top selling games on Amazon, so I was getting paid $5.50 for the time it took me to ship each game. They had 12 copies in stock so I made $66 on about a $150 investment. A lot of people who resell consider this terrible margins, but I sold all 12 games overnight. Took about half an hour to package them all. $66 isn't bad for <1 hour's work.

I agree. I like the way you think. I have a similar philosophy. I also enjoy the packing and shipping process on these type of quick sales.

About how many percentage of your items are sold on craigslist vs ebay? For me it was 90% ebay and 10% craigslist.

The only item I sold on craigslists were high end bicycles. BTW,winter is also a great time to buy great condition old bikes ($300-$800) range that you can usually sell for $700-$1000 in the springtime when ppl are looking to get outdoors. The only problem is holding it for several months. I usually ride the bikes myself in the meantime until I sell them but keep them in great condition. I had no problem making $200-$400 profits on these. Again, the only problem is holding them for several months and having several grand tied up in bikes.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I agree. I like the way you think. I have a similar philosophy. I also enjoy the packing and shipping process on these type of quick sales.

About how many percentage of your items are sold on craigslist vs ebay? For me it was 90% ebay and 10% craigslist.

The only item I sold on craigslists were high end bicycles. BTW,winter is also a great time to buy great condition old bikes ($300-$800) range that you can usually sell for $700-$1000 in the springtime when ppl are looking to get outdoors. The only problem is holding it for several months. I usually ride the bikes myself in the meantime until I sell them but keep them in great condition. I had no problem making $200-$400 profits on these. Again, the only problem is holding them for several months and having several grand tied up in bikes.

Yeah probably something like 90% Ebay/Amazon and 10% Craigslist. Don't really keep track.

I know a lot of people are making money with high end bikes. I just don't really know anything about the industry.

TheNextTrump

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 7, 2012
Omaha, NE.

Oh for sure, that's the best part about this whole buy/sell hustle. This thing goes year round, no matter what time of the day it is, or season it may be. THERE ARE ALWAYS profitable buys lurking around your local area.

I will how ever be MUCH more PREPARED and have a much larger buying budget for next December.

All in all I'll clear around $2k profits from my DEC. flips alone.

Never really dug into (Auto Parts) but will have to check out the local market. Thanks for the tips!

I to am in the process of taking this whole (buy/sell) side income to the next level over 2015.

Started as a hobby, turned into a side hustle, now it's time to make it a little money tree and serve as a major cash stream.

Karl Anderson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 20, 2017
New York
Buy my Kindle product when it releases next month. ;)

Your problem wasn't the years 1997-2000, it was the fact that it was a Honda. Obvious cars like the S2K excluded (which would never end up in a junkyard anyway) Honda parts aren't usually worth jack. Go European; Audi, BMW, Jaguar, etc.

I sell all kinds of different parts. Headlights, taillights, owner's manuals, interior trim pieces (glove boxes, center consoles, sun visors, etc.), ECUs, ABS modules/pumps, suspension pieces, axles, front grilles, seats, etc. Little bit of everything.
Ever work with Pick N Pull? They offer volume pricing $11 headlights, $6 mirrors etc if you spend $2500 month. Where do you happen to be located?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.