The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Choosing the right CMS platform

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane
D

Deleted78083

Hey,

I'm currently learning how to code to launch my multi vendor marketplace platform, equivalent to Amazon but with a niche product ("only" connecting sellers to buyers). I was wondering which CMS platform you would recommend, taking into account that I'd like to build my site from the ground up. Since I'm learning how to code, might as well use a "professional" CMS, I thought, meaning "built" for what I'd like to develop, that is a multi vendor marketplace. After a thorough investigation online, it seems the best to use would be Magento, but many opinions about the platform diverge. Anyone has experience with this? I'm not afraid of the coding part, I expect it to take some long years. I want to make sure I control my product and am not dependent on a developer or something else if something bad happens. I didn't choose Woocommerce because of the difficulty to scale and the fact that Wordpress was not built for that originally. Any external opinion would be welcome though :)

Thx :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
There is no best answer to this. The general opinion of the internet changes over time. It used to be that procedural code was king. Then, object oriented took over. Then, it took over to an insane degree. Then, beautiful code that was so succinct that it looked more like magic became the in thing. There were people that, because they had no life, were willing to die on whatever hill they thought was best.

The same thing is true in CMS. Magento can do a lot of things, but is pretty complicated to work with. Wordpress can do some pretty cool things too.

Beyond all this, you need to think through what your goal here is. If you want to build a business, pick whatever will allow you to test your business idea fastest. Set something up with the least amount of code and features possible, and then test the market. If you are more interested in learning to code, then pick a CMS and get started.

Are you sure you want to start with PHP?

D

Deleted78083

There is no best answer to this. The general opinion of the internet changes over time. It used to be that procedural code was king. Then, object oriented took over. Then, it took over to an insane degree. Then, beautiful code that was so succinct that it looked more like magic became the in thing. There were people that, because they had no life, were willing to die on whatever hill they thought was best.

The same thing is true in CMS. Magento can do a lot of things, but is pretty complicated to work with. Wordpress can do some pretty cool things too.

Beyond all this, you need to think through what your goal here is. If you want to build a business, pick whatever will allow you to test your business idea fastest. Set something up with the least amount of code and features possible, and then test the market. If you are more interested in learning to code, then pick a CMS and get started.

Are you sure you want to start with PHP?
I want to build a business, but I could simply buy a wordpress theme tomorrow, and start contacting people next week to see if they want to sell their products on my platform. And that is what worries me: I'll have no control over the platform because technically, I will not have been the one that built it (in this case, the theme) :/ I'd feel like a uber driver without a driving license

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I want to build a business, but I could simply buy a wordpress theme tomorrow, and start contacting people next week to see if they want to sell their products on my platform. And that is what worries me: I'll have no control over the platform because technically, I will not have been the one that built it (in this case, the theme) :/ I'd feel like a uber driver without a driving license
far better to do that and prove to yourself you have a business than to spend months writing your own code only to find that no one wants what you're offering....

Many businesses out there offer websites where things look automated while what actually is going on behind the scenes is that actual live humans are the 'automation'

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.