The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Chasing Dollars or Dreams?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Rickchise23

@clickpickRick
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 25, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Not all dreams are possible. I realized this in 9th grade when trying out for the high school basketball team. Though I was a dominating presence in the post in elementary and middle school as a 6 ft center, as I turned up for tryouts in high school and went up against guys who were 6'6 and 6'7, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to overcome my physical limitations pretty quickly.

I see young entrepreneurs often who are hell bent on chasing their "dream". While this is a warm and fuzzy idea, the truth is that not everyone is meant to make their living in the field they are most passionate in. You can be a real estate developer AND a triathlete. Just because you love competing in triathlons doesn't mean you have to start a new triathlon in your city.

I struggled with this idea for years as I was in real estate sales, a field I wasn't super interested in. I loved the houses, I loved finding the deals, but I hated talking to picky clients about how the walls were a shade too dark, how the location was 3 minutes too far from the interstate, etc. I always felt as if I was trying to get my clients to see the bigger picture which I became good at, but was a constant battle that took a whole lot of time and energy.

I thought that maybe real estate wasn't right for me and in the process of 5 years launched a few different business ideas, only one e-commerce store was a success. What I realized however was that I disliked the monotony of the e-commerce business I ran just as much as I disliked the customer service in the real estate industry.

I doubled down and went back into real estate, determined to make money in a different manner. I wanted an income that didn't require my nights and weekends spent looking at homes with picky buyers. I found my niche finally in 2015 and launched a property valuation business that I've now expanded into 5 states and 2 more coming by years end. I managed to create an income that was not reliant on my physical presence and now enables me to travel and work from anywhere with WiFi.

My point is that it is great to have dreams and it is essential to have a career that creates enough money to live. These things need not be connected, but they can be if you are creative and uncompromising in your principals. I decided that whatever niche I got into it had to be one that allowed me to work remotely and because of this I structured my business in a way that could be easily expanded and replicated. If I would have sacrificed and took on some of the work myself to increase profits, this model would have ultimately not been so easily replicated.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Not all dreams are possible. I realized this in 9th grade when trying out for the high school basketball team. Though I was a dominating presence in the post in elementary and middle school as a 6 ft center, as I turned up for tryouts in high school and went up against guys who were 6'6 and 6'7, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to overcome my physical limitations pretty quickly.

I see young entrepreneurs often who are hell bent on chasing their "dream". While this is a warm and fuzzy idea, the truth is that not everyone is meant to make their living in the field they are most passionate in. You can be a real estate developer AND a triathlete. Just because you love competing in triathlons doesn't mean you have to start a new triathlon in your city.

I struggled with this idea for years as I was in real estate sales, a field I wasn't super interested in. I loved the houses, I loved finding the deals, but I hated talking to picky clients about how the walls were a shade too dark, how the location was 3 minutes too far from the interstate, etc. I always felt as if I was trying to get my clients to see the bigger picture which I became good at, but was a constant battle that took a whole lot of time and energy.

I thought that maybe real estate wasn't right for me and in the process of 5 years launched a few different business ideas, only one e-commerce store was a success. What I realized however was that I disliked the monotony of the e-commerce business I ran just as much as I disliked the customer service in the real estate industry.

I doubled down and went back into real estate, determined to make money in a different manner. I wanted an income that didn't require my nights and weekends spent looking at homes with picky buyers. I found my niche finally in 2015 and launched a property valuation business that I've now expanded into 5 states and 2 more coming by years end. I managed to create an income that was not reliant on my physical presence and now enables me to travel and work from anywhere with WiFi.

My point is that it is great to have dreams and it is essential to have a career that creates enough money to live. These things need not be connected, but they can be if you are creative and uncompromising in your principals. I decided that whatever niche I got into it had to be one that allowed me to work remotely and because of this I structured my business in a way that could be easily expanded and replicated. If I would have sacrificed and took on some of the work myself to increase profits, this model would have ultimately not been so easily replicated.
Great perspective. Thanks for sharing your story.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I decided that whatever niche I got into it had to be one that allowed me to work remotely and because of this I structured my business in a way that could be easily expanded and replicated.
Yup, if we're looking to create a lifestyle, it is important to work backward. If you want ultimate freedom in deciding WHEN to work, starting a restaurant probably isn't a good idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Hi, just wanted to make sure I get it - with Fox Sales Legends there is coaching, weekly calls...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Amazing book! Actually I bought it, before I joined the forum and it motivated me to join...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock