The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Changing from a sole proprietorship to LLC California

Jay2

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 14, 2015
I'm in a situation where I'm currently working with a manufacturer and he asked for my business tax ID. I thought he was referencing my state seller permit #. I find out that I didn't set up an LLC, instead I created a sole proprietorship. So I filed an articles of organization LLC form with the secretary of state and paid their fee 2 weeks ago.

My understanding is that with a sole prop. the business tax ID is my social security #, which is not professional to use. I should be receiving....something back from the California SOS soon. However for anyone who has created a California LLC is this the correct process? Was the business tax ID issued along with the new permit? I skipped sending any form to the IRS and also did not buy a local permit, no point since I've only invested $3-400 in my website, misc. items.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jay2

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 14, 2015
Update:

I get home today to mail from California SOS.... I open it up and it turns out I made 1 small error on my Articles of organization, I didn't write 'LLC' after my business name :headbanger:. I must have filled out the form too fast, I didn't read the directions to include that, haha. I sent that back to the SOS, so I suppose I'll get my permit/documents in 2 weeks.

I also called to inquire about the tax id, and they said no it does not come with the LLC permit, instead I need to go through the IRS. So if you google IRS business tax ID you get a short application, and an instant tax ID, regardless of business entity status!. I entered my entity as an LLC even though it's processing at the moment. So I have a tax ID now :hurray:

LLC permit in 2 weeks, but for now I'm going to submit my information to 1-2 manufactures to proceed with execution....

Last edited:

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
I'm in a situation where I'm currently working with a manufacturer and he asked for my business tax ID. I thought he was referencing my state seller permit #. I find out that I didn't set up an LLC, instead I created a sole proprietorship. So I filed an articles of organization LLC form with the secretary of state and paid their fee 2 weeks ago.

My understanding is that with a sole prop. the business tax ID is my social security #, which is not professional to use. I should be receiving....something back from the California SOS soon. However for anyone who has created a California LLC is this the correct process? Was the business tax ID issued along with the new permit? I skipped sending any form to the IRS and also did not buy a local permit, no point since I've only invested $3-400 in my website, misc. items.

For other folks..

With a Fictitious business name, from your local county. You are able to obtain an EIN Number from the IRS.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.