• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Catching the Newest Trends

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Yankees338, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Yankees338

Yankees338 Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $188
    Where do you go to find the next big thing? Where do you look for such opportunities? I'm talking about a product, company, technological advances, new sectors of industries, newest services -- anything!

Also, where do you go to analyze data for the macro side of things -- the industries? I know there is the gov't website www.census.gov, but I haven't found much of anything on there. I don't know if I just have trouble understanding the info there or if there's just not much available. Where else can those interested in finding the next growing industry look?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. CRBFL

CRBFL New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    I personally have been looking at children and tweeners as the holiday shopping season is fast approaching. That's where all of the retail dollars are going for people with crumb snatchers.:)

3. kimberland

kimberland Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $123
    Well, if you want to get some indication of what the kiddies are into,
    ask your trick-or-treat'ers.
    I usually ask them a single question
    like "what is your favorite candy?" or their fave toy.

4. CRBFL

CRBFL New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    Brilliant. I'm running with it.

5. CRBFL

CRBFL New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    Right here.

6. bert

bert New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $43
    I'll admit it -- Oprah. It's worth getting in touch with my feminine side seeing how books, products, services, etc. that gets discussed on the show suddenly become the new thing du jour. :eek: :D

7. Yankees338

Rep Bank:
    $188
    Thanks for the responses.

What industries are known for having high markups? I'm planning on coming up with a list of a few industries I'm interested in. Then, I'll research them and come up with an innovative way of selling goods in that industry, and finally, I'll open up an online retail store. My main goal is to get started on something at this point, if not purely for the experience of it. Eventually, I'd like to come up with more of a system type business than a retailer, but at least this is a start.

8. Jonleehacker

Jonleehacker Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,088
    Information & digital products. No added costs for increased units equals almost infinite potential returns.

9. Yankees338

Rep Bank:
    $188
    What exactly do you mean by digital and information products? Just things that are stored solely through the internet for instance? Thanks for the response, but I'd appreciate a few specific examples so I can really grasp the topic.

10. JesseO

JesseO Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Other high markups include window coverings, spices (grocery store), cars, and almost anything else that people seldom buy. The less often it sells, the higher the markup will be. The trick (I think) is finding bored rich people who will change their [cars, window coverings, mutual funds] very often, and can pay the high prices and not care as long as their fleeting whims are fulfilled.

11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $388,043
    Admin Post
    As long as the environment appears to be in disarray (Global warming, unpredictable storms/fires) coupled with high energy prices, GOING GREEN will be the newest trend that could be exploited.

- Organic food
    - Low emission anything
    - Alternative energy (sun,wind,tides)
    - Zero Carbon lifestyle

12. 1320Trader

1320Trader New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $77
    My prediction on the ages (in order):

Industrial Age
    Tech Age
    Energy Age
    Space Age

13. Yankees338

Rep Bank:
    $188
    Appreciate all the responses. I'll definitely be looking into them over the next few days.
    This is something I've strongly considered. Unfortunately, my idea would require more time than my parents would allow me to spend on a business at the moment given where I'm at in my educational career (their opinion, not mine...SAT/College prep year :(). I'll see how my "sales" skills are, though, I guess.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  14. Jorge

Jorge Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $232
    I recommend www.springwise.com, I'm suscribed to the newsletter.

Also, you could set up a google alert to receive by email newly crawled sites containing phrases like "the first in the world", you get the picture...

If you are into web entrepreneurship I would recommend reading www.techcrunch.com

Last but not least, you could use google trends to see what people are looking for in the web.

TomTrepreneur and MJ DeMarco like this.
  15. Jonleehacker

Jonleehacker Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,088
    Things like eBooks are the most obvious, but I would also include screen capture videos (I have produced and sold these) and audio books. Music on mp3 would be another example.

Other things that can be delivered electronically:

software
    specialized forms (legal, real estate)

In general, if you want high markups, think of selling information. Create it once and sell it over and over for very low cost.

Most people will immediately think that they don't know anything worthy of selling, but just be aware of all the things that you do in a day that require a skill and many of them would in fact be worthy of a digital product that people would pay for. Even if that information is already in the public domain, just to be able to organize it and put it into an easy to follow package is a valuable process that people will pay for.

Just take a look at the health and fitness category on Clickbank (digital products warehouse) and you'll be amazed at the products and the prices of information!

TomTrepreneur likes this.
  16. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $388,043
    Admin Post
    Jorge, nice information and great idea on the google alert. Speed++

17. Z5 FILMS

Z5 FILMS Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $246

+1

I am more and more frequently hearing talk about geothermal heat pumps. I'm thinking these things are going to be all the rage here soon.

Going green is going to be the hottest new trend in my opinion.

18. Jorge

Jorge Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $232
    Hey thanks for the speed :D I though I would never leave no parking :p

Btw you can call me george if "jorge" is difficult to remember for you, its the same :)

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.