The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cash flow: expand or pay down debt

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
I was curious what the opinion on here of what to do with cash flow.

I think most on here would be for expanding, but I currently have not found any good properties and was considering paying down the mortgage. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mr. Pink

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jeffs07

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Feb 24, 2008
Rockingham NC
I would assume this as an internal question of risk tolerance. As JScott pointed out there are several what ifs that could occur at any moment. Consider your long term goals in relation to the risks expansion might include, epically in this market.

LAbull

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
What kind of debt are we talking.

Kiyosaki talks about good debt and bad debt.
Many people share that belief. I would imagine getting rid of debt not only helps save money in the long run but adds that extra buffer for a "what if" in the future.

jimculler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 14, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
I would use it for building reserves, if you dont already have an adequate supply.

Of course if you have built up liquid reserves, and a smoking deal comes along, you are in a prime position to pull the trigger.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Keep cash in hand.
Right now, given current circumstances, having the ability to get properties without going through the financial system is better than ever.

If you pay down your mortgage and then that "great" property shows up, how can you access your funds? Once you pay down your mortgage you need to refi to get it out, and that has a cost.

Put your money in a CD making 4% if you are really actively looking for properties. The opportunity cost is too high if you have no access to your cash.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
Keep cash in hand.
Right now, given current circumstances, having the ability to get properties without going through the financial system is better than ever.

If you pay down your mortgage and then that "great" property shows up, how can you access your funds? Once you pay down your mortgage you need to refi to get it out, and that has a cost.

Put your money in a CD making 4% if you are really actively looking for properties. The opportunity cost is too high if you have no access to your cash.

I agree 100% with this entire post.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Keep cash in hand.

By holding a cash reserve couldn't you borrow against this CD you hold thereby leveraging your reserve to buy that next "golden nugget" and still have the reserve for emergencies?

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
assuming you have positive cash flows

the general rule is that paying down debt and giving up liquidity is foolish and does not make any sense in that increases your tax liability

liquidity is needed to grow

I actually have the opposite problem of to much equity in properties which in the true sense should be refinanced

Your cash pool should be rising in taking all moneys out as soon after purchase as possible in essence a no money down deal - the ideal

throw the cash flowing property in inventory, this is optimum in simplicity

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
I think not paying down debt to expand makes sense.

Not paying down debt to save on taxes does not make sense to me. I would rather not pay taxes on the property by owning it than put off owning it so I could get a tax right off.

Mr. Pink

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.