The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business idea, advertising on cars?

Idea threads

Emiljasta

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 13, 2018
Hey all,

First of all, thank you for reading this. I just arrived at the part where MJ discusses someone called 'askhole' (p. 174, Unscripted ). I am not someone that does not accept advice or does not take it, but I sometimes struggle with asking for opinions of other because it can feel personal. But here I am:

I was sitting in the car yesterday, and looked around me on the highway. All you see is cars. Everywhere. A idea came into my mind but I stopped myself because I had the feeling it sounded quiet stupid. Yesterday, when talking to my friends, I brought this idea up again and they were convinced that it would work. Me, myself, I think its not adding a lot of value, but maybe you guys think different about this.

CarAds:
What if you could bring company owners and car drivers together on a platform, where a company owner asks people to promote his company by putting a sticker on their car with his/her logo. For example: You are a company owner, situated in New York and you want more brand awareness for your company. You upload your request and want to spend a maximum of 1000 dollars for marketing costs. We, the platform, connects you to people that are willing to put your sticker on their car and drive around with it. They get, for example: 10 dollars for every week they are driving around with your sticker on it. If you are a brand that focuses on the high-end, you can ask for cars that have a minimum worth of for example 100.000 dollars. This also means that you are paying more to get your ad on that kind of cars. Ofcourse, this idea has to be thought out way better, but instead of wasting my time on a 'useless' idea, I was wondering what you guys were thinking.

Kind regards,
Emilj Asta

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Benji90

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 3, 2019
Oh wauw, I am living in the Netherlands so I never saw something like this! But this is exactly what I was talking about! Thanks a lot man.

I actually thought about doing this a few years ago, Unfortunately in the UK you'd need to have business insurance to drive your own car as you're using the car for business purposes.

Also I wanted the name "Rollingads.com" but it was like £15k+ for the domain name.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Oh wauw, I am living in the Netherlands so I never saw something like this! But this is exactly what I was talking about! Thanks a lot man.

Sounds like it has great potential then. Nothing wrong with copying business models either! Just come up with your own brand and copy and what not.

Adapting a successful business model into another country is a really great way to make good money and provide strong value.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey all,

First of all, thank you for reading this. I just arrived at the part where MJ discusses someone called 'askhole' (p. 174, Unscripted ). I am not someone that does not accept advice or does not take it, but I sometimes struggle with asking for opinions of other because it can feel personal. But here I am:

I was sitting in the car yesterday, and looked around me on the highway. All you see is cars. Everywhere. A idea came into my mind but I stopped myself because I had the feeling it sounded quiet stupid. Yesterday, when talking to my friends, I brought this idea up again and they were convinced that it would work. Me, myself, I think its not adding a lot of value, but maybe you guys think different about this.

CarAds:
What if you could bring company owners and car drivers together on a platform, where a company owner asks people to promote his company by putting a sticker on their car with his/her logo. For example: You are a company owner, situated in New York and you want more brand awareness for your company. You upload your request and want to spend a maximum of 1000 dollars for marketing costs. We, the platform, connects you to people that are willing to put your sticker on their car and drive around with it. They get, for example: 10 dollars for every week they are driving around with your sticker on it. If you are a brand that focuses on the high-end, you can ask for cars that have a minimum worth of for example 100.000 dollars. This also means that you are paying more to get your ad on that kind of cars. Ofcourse, this idea has to be thought out way better, but instead of wasting my time on a 'useless' idea, I was wondering what you guys were thinking.

Kind regards,
Emilj Asta

Not a bad idea, so much so, it's already being done, at least here in the states. This *idea* has been around for some time, but it really hasn't gained much traction, at least in my neck of the woods.

I also don't know a lot of people with newer cars who want to pimp it out. Older, high mileage cars, perhaps.

PS: I changed the thread title to reflect the content.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I tried this 35 years agi in Germany. It didn’t work. Reasons look at MJ s post!

Emiljasta

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 13, 2018
Thanks a lot for replying guys. Really appreciate that you guys are willing to provide feedback, it motivates me to ask questions more easily!

uroz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 2, 2016
Had it here in Slovenia years ago. Didnt work out. Sorry to tell you that... Its hard, youd need a new spin on it somehow

Conscripted

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 16, 2019
Missouri
Had it here in Slovenia years ago. Didnt work out. Sorry to tell you that... Its hard, youd need a new spin on it somehow
I've only seen this done with fixed images or car wraps.

What if it were an animated display? I'm in the middle of nowhere Missouri and I'm starting to see LED billboards more frequently. What if the advertisement were a similar animated display the size of the Pizza Hut sign on a delivery vehicle?

Flexible displays are starting to be available too. How about a HD video running across the side or back of a vehicle?

-Conscripted

uroz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 2, 2016
I could see it with LED displays on top of cars on business vehicles. Not private, in a way you dont even really want private vehicles because they dont do as much driving around the city as business vehicles.
Now getting someone to advertise you on his vehicle istead of his own business....

MichaelCash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Apr 7, 2013
New York
I think this works good for commercial cars and taxi cabs. For some reasons I dont not see many private cars with ads. I think there should be some rules and local laws on how you can use advertising - that's probably the reason why it is hard to make it work.

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
They get, for example: 10 dollars for every week they are driving around with your sticker on it.
Can't imagine what kind of people and cars would do live advertisements on their car for $10/week

Its a cool idea, but has issues that needs to be sorted out

Veloman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Feb 10, 2018
Austin
I snapped this shot on the highway about 8 years ago. Sure got my attention.

Nowadays here in Austin TX, advertising on pedicabs downtown brings in good money.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 8

Benji90

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 3, 2019
I snapped this shot on the highway about 8 years ago. Sure got my attention.

Nowadays here in Austin TX, advertising on pedicabs downtown brings in good money.

Ah the good ol' "Donk" phase, don't know how it became a thing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.