The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can't stand this fantastic cushion I'm sitting on

John Glazer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Apr 29, 2016
Hey guys,

I'm on this forum because I'm done with settling for less. Well, almost done.

My 9-5 job is actually great. I'm a photographer/designer/webmaster/video editor at a federal government agency. It's in the old port of Montreal, with a nice view on the city, a great team of 4, no cubicles to speak of. We're more like a private PR Agency. The perfect Slowlane I've always wanted... Guaranteed to retire like a king at 65 (70% of the average of my best 5 years for life, indexed to inflation, which should be around 100K I guess). I don't even work 35 hours per week. I know some people would kill for such a job, but I just can't take it... I really hate it. Not the job per se, but being there. I feel like I'm wasting my life away, that I should be doing more right now.

Does that make me A) a whining lazy bitch or B) am I just standing up for myself as a man and asking for more from life? Yes, I know, answer B. Most people think it's A.

I've always been a Sidewalker, travelled extensively during my 20s (after a quick Slowlane job right after my Computer Science degree), and simple learned from life. I never had the entrepreneurial bug, and I've been in this perfect Slowlane job for 6 years now. Everything changed when my wife (gf of 16 years now) was diagnosed with chronic lyme disease (terrible terrible disease, PM me if you want to know more, and how we actually cured it!) and I finally understood the value of "time" on this planet, and why I cannot exchange my time for for money anymore.

I'm now deep into e-business (a distributor of some health supplements // solo private label for kitchen products // team private labeling all sorts of products) and am very happy about it. I just can't find time to work on any of my businesses after I come back from my 9-5 job. Just can't look at a screen anymore!

There is actually a clause in my collective ageement that allows me to ask for 3 months off every year, unpaid. I've used it in the last 2 years (obvisouly during Montreal's ungodly winters - Best time of my life is when I miss winter) and this year I could finally work on my own businesses in HK and Philippines for 2 months straight! It felt FANTASTIC!!! Sales went up drastically, I felt very proud of my work. Anyways, now I am back from my trip and am sitting at my desk completely depressed (not clinically, just mood).

This year will end very well, I can feel it. These e-commerce successes are just the beginning. Also, they feel like money chasing activities, not really business ideas. I have a few fantastic ideas I want to execute on as soon as i can though.

See you guys on the forum!

John

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Way to go man!! Keep at the grind and do what you can to automate your system so you can continue selling in your off-time. I've had friends who worked government and hate it. Again it's a cozy life, nice retirement, lots of perks and benefits but not overly rewarding or competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...