The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Canadian E-commerce entrepreneurs?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships
G

GuestUserX15

Are there any Canadian e-commerce entrepreneurs? If yes, have you found any cheap solutions for shipping whether it be inside Canada or USA? Using Canada post is very expensive, i have heard that there are some companies that take your shipment across the border and use USPS. I would appreciate any help I can get :) And yes i did do my research, just need a little hand (not sure if this is the right category)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dochustle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 1, 2012
Sunnyvale, California
Unless you're shipping really lightweight merchandise, this will probably be an obstacle

What I recommend is setting up ship with a 3rd party fulfilment centre. Lots of eCommerce platforms have them built right in to their software.

G

GuestUserX15

Unless you're shipping really lightweight merchandise, this will probably be an obstacle

What I recommend is setting up ship with a 3rd party fulfilment centre. Lots of eCommerce platforms have them built right in to their software.
Do you mean a fulfillment center in USA?

maleek

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Aug 4, 2014
I personally use DHL, they gave me a great discount & service when I opened my account and here's why:

• They obviously need your business, but they don't want you to know that.
  • I was upfront and let them know that I was also in negotiations with Fedex
  • I had to act bigger then I was. I essentially told them I was doing X amount of dollars in shipping with Canada post, and that number was only going to get bigger.
*Sometimes they will call you on your bluff, sometimes they won't. If they do, they'll ask for references to back up your story. So here's an extra tip. Slightly BEND the truth, but don't tell them you're some multimillion dollar company. Just let them know you're growing, and you'll need a company that will grow with you. Secondly, for references, just use friends or family. DHL will call and ask basic questions : How long has he been in business, do you have any idea how much gross revenue he brings in, does he indeed ship this product, is he going to ship anymore products in the future, etc. The questions are basic in nature.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I personally use DHL, they gave me a great discount when I opened my account and here's why:

• They obviously need your business, but they don't want you to know that.
  • I was upfront and let them know that I was also in negotiations with Fedex
  • I had to act bigger then I was. I essentially told them I was doing X amount of dollars in shipping with Canada post, and that number was only going to get bigger.
*Sometimes they will call you on your bluff, sometimes they won't. If they do, they'll ask for references to back up your story. So here's an extra tip. Slightly BEND the truth, but don't tell them you're some multimillion dollar company. Just let them know you're growing, and you'll need a company that will grow with you. Secondly, for references, just use friends or family. DHL will call and ask basic questions : How long has he been in business, do you have any idea how much gross revenue he brings in, does he indeed ship this product, is he going to ship anymore products in the future, etc. The questions are basic in nature.

Hope this helps
Mind me asking. How much do they charge you? I honestly need a cheap shipping method in Canada... To ship to USA and Worldwide.

maleek

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Aug 4, 2014
My rate is volume dependent, There isn't any 'set price' so to speak. But they chopped approx 37% off what any standard account's rate would be. I hope that helps.

D

DeletedUser394

Seriously, Canada Post sucks and shipping is beyond unreasonable for even the smallest items with any and all carriers. That was always a barrier for me with not wanting to pursue e commerce.

maleek

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Aug 4, 2014
Seriously, Canada Post sucks and shipping is beyond unreasonable for even the smallest items with any and all carriers. That was always a barrier for me with not wanting to pursue e commerce.

I totally agree. I was shipping everything my Canada post out of pure laziness, to be quite honest. It wasn't until I reviewed statements, and thought to myself "there has got to be a better /cheaper solution" that I phoned fedex & DHL in the same day. I chose DHL ultimately because of the reviews other e-commerce people gave me, it wasn't based on price (even though they gave me a great deal - it was a bonus on top). I knew that I needed a reliable fast shipper that could grow with, me end of story. A US tax lawyer, who happened to be an Amazon prime member once told me "We don't care if we gotta pay extra, we want it, and we want it now!".

If you guys have any more questions, fire away.

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Bump.

Looking for Canadian eCommerce guys to ask some questions to.

Hope there are more of us here :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.