• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

Can you solve this Amazon Seller mystery?

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by Readerly, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Readerly

Readerly Yes and Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,214
    I started an eCommerce business last year. Currently, my primary channel is Amazon. I have 3 products I'm selling through Amazon FBA. I plan to expand in the near future to Etsy, Ebay, and Shopify. My execution thread is here.

I've run into a weird problem that I'm hoping one of the Amazon veterans here on the forum can help me solve. Maybe @biophase, @Longinus, or one of the other Amazon pros can chime in with some insight.

Here's the issue. I launched a product on Amazon a month and a half ago. For a new product, I feel like it's been selling well (50 units), with a decent conversion rate (8%) on, in that period, 630 sessions. Currently, I'm generating leads through Amazon PPC and Google Ads.

Sales have been growing--until this past Saturday (4/6/19). Since Saturday, according to Amazon reporting, there have been 80 sessions but no sales. Other products in my account continue to sell.

I'm no mathematician, but with a conversion rate of 8%, the odds of no sales over 80 sessions seems vanishingly small. What has happened?

I haven't changed the product listing at all. There seem to be no noticeable changes with the competition. I haven't changed my ad copy either. Could there be something that has happened behind-the-scenes at Amazon with respect to this product that has caused sales to fall off a cliff?

I've been wracking my brains but am completely perplexed. Only a couple hypotheses come to mind:

1. It's just statistical variation. With each passing day and added product listing sessions, though, this seems more and more unlikely.

2. My competition is somehow gaming my Amazon PPC ads by clicking on them and using up the daily budget. This also seems unlikely since a significant chunk of the traffic is coming from Google, as well as organic search on Amazon, since the product is on the first page results for several search terms.

3. Amazon tweaked some algorithm on the backend. But that wouldn't explain the disparity between continued sessions (i.e. qualified prospects visiting the listing) and sales.

Have you experienced something like this with one or more of your own Amazon FBA products? What do you think might be going on?

Thanks for the help!

ruzara5 likes this.
  2. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $17,841
    Did you lose ranking?

I remember having the same problem 2 years ago. For me it was just a slower period before Easter for some reason.

ruzara5, Fastlane Liam and Readerly like this.
  3. Readerly

Rep Bank:
    $1,214
    Thanks for the perspective. I got one sale on that product today, so that's somewhat of a relief. Maybe it was just an anomalous slow period.

I haven't been monitoring ranking that closely. I'm still looking for an alternative to Keepa, now that they charge for historical ranking data. What do you use to track ranking?

ZF Lee and Fastlane Liam like this.
  4. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $17,841
    Nothing, I just go check it on Amazon every few weeks.

Readerly likes this.
  5. Fastlane Liam

Fastlane Liam Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,148
    If you find an alternative to Keepa please tell me, its useful for avoiding seasonal/trend products and a few other research things

ZF Lee likes this.
  6. LinorCG

LinorCG Business Building Warrior Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,888
    After Keepa started charging, I used the extension from Helium 10 to track Sales Rank. Hopefully that can help.

Thanks.

Readerly, Fastlane Liam and ZF Lee like this.
  7. Fastlane Liam

Fastlane Liam Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,148
    Which tool is that? The keyword tracker is it?

edit: sorry its the extension, my bad

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    LinorCG likes this.
  8. Readerly

Rep Bank:
    $1,214
    Thanks for great heads-up! I just installed the Helium 10 extension on Chrome. Works a lot like Keepa. I think I'll explore their other tools as well.

LinorCG likes this.
  9. LinorCG

LinorCG Business Building Warrior Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,888
    You're welcome! And go through their free video training as well. Well worth it as its free. :)

Readerly likes this.
  10. Patrickg

Patrickg Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $606
    I know the feeling man. But from my assessment sounds like your getting antsy. Could be so many factors.

Some days like today I’m looking at shopify and thinking wtf hole business is failing. Because it’s tax time and I’m cutting a big check.... no sales which is really rare.

I deleted app on my phone so I start running my business like a true business looking at statistically relevant information, like monthly sales. Not daily.

I hope this helps, I’m not talking about myself to talk about myself. But relate and tell you from my experience, humble experience daily sales isn’t necessarily a good barometer.

Try looking at after week, obv monitoring ad spend. But one week or so might prove to be same conversion rate.

Hope that helps!

Readerly likes this.
  11. Readerly

Rep Bank:
    $1,214
    This is sound advice. I need to start thinking more big picture and long-term and less day-to-day. Looking at month-to-month sales is a much saner way to go. Thanks for the reminder.

Getting those "you've made a sale!" alerts is really addictive, though!

Fastlane Liam likes this.
  12. Patrickg

Patrickg Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $606

Like a drug! Hahah

Readerly likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.