• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Can We Talk About Gary V? (Vaynerchuck)

Discussion in 'People & Relationships' started by TylerH1994, Jun 4, 2017.

1. TylerH1994

TylerH1994 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $892
    First off, I know he's insanely successful. I get it.

Not only that, but I think he usually gives out great advice. I'm a big fan overall, and you can get a lot of value from him.

But I wanted to get some forum opinions on some of the stuff he posts.. because sometimes it sounds like he's just selling the dream. I'd love to see other viewpoints on this.

For example, here is a short little fake text convo he had to illustrate a point:

View: https://www.facebook.com/gary/videos/10155341793218350/

But (as far as I see it) isn't this just "selling the dream?" The part about not watching House of Cards is obvious lol, but the part about "starting a blog/podcast" for video games... how does that just equate to success? Again, I do think he provides massive value, and has to be one of the most well-known entrepreneurs out there, but some of the stuff he posts just comes across to me as saying they will make it if they "hustle" hard enough.

PoGOOD and Silver Silk like this.
  2. Argue

Argue Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,295
    I rarely know who he is. In my opinion, watching him is an action fake. Just my opinion of course so no offense to anyone.

SMH, ChrisV, startinup and 6 others like this.
  3. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,968
    I wanted to check out Gary V materials, but yup, some of his videos on youtube were 'rah rah'. Triggered red flags, so I passed.
    But he has some insights on social marketing that I might revisit again.
    Consider that you are investing your time in place of money into this thing called education.
    So, if you feel disturbed by it....get out while you still can to avoid further loss of time.
    There are more good resources out there for your choice. I am currently viewing Dan Pena's free podcasts (he's a more fiery and vulgar version of MJ), UNSCRIPTED and The Accounting Game by Darrell Mullis & Judith Orloff.

BTW, UNSCRIPTED has lots of huge chunks on discussions of value array, the Productocracy and Kinetic Execution. This stuff will take me the next few months and at least a year's worth of execution to totally learn it all.

Argue and TylerH1994 like this.
  4. TylerH1994

TylerH1994 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $892
    I understand that, given a lot of people will continuously watch his content to soak up all the information possible (aka: avoid doing anything.)

5. TylerH1994

Rep Bank:
    $892
    Just ordered Unscripted recently, currently digging through it! I bought it on NOOK because I didn't want to wait days for the book to arrive haha.

I do think my Podcast game is very weak in regards to education, so thanks for the recommendation!

Still have to get into those sections you mentioned :)

ZF Lee likes this.
  6. V8Bill

V8Bill Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $18,860
    Actually I think you'll find that Gary V doesn't sell the dream, he sells you on your dream. He often says that if you're happy with your lot in life he's happy for you but if you complain and don't do anything about it that's when he gets fired up. He's all about action and I think he's great and he's earned my respect. I always get a kick when I watch him. He's worth the effort to get to know a little better.

There's plenty of time to watch him and take action. The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

7. CJ B

CJ B New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $98
    I like him as well. If you know his story; grinding out creating Wine Library TV on YouTube when nobody was watching to take his families liquor business from $3mm to $30mm, it's pretty inspirational. He definitely found a concept, grinded long hours and went Fastlane.

8. bigred

bigred Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $626
    I have a ton of respect for Gary V. His is one of the many podcasts I listen to while at the gym or driving. I don't have time to watch his videos, but have listened to a lot of his audio. Just like @V8Bill said, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

If you really watch or listen to more than one piece of content, Gary V is all about taking action. Just the other day, someone asked what he would do, if he had to start over. He said he would flip stuff on Ebay and Amazon to build a bankroll. That's not some pipe dream blog or action fake social media agency. Think about what he didn't say...

I would give him a chance. The guy is on another level, if you really listen to what he is saying.

9. TylerH1994

Rep Bank:
    $892
    Appreciate the viewpoints!

I definitely do respect him and like a lot of content, it's just sometimes I think he sells the "do whatever you want & HUSTLE 24/7" style. Nothing about market research or product validation (again, this is just from what I see, I've been following for over a year).

V8Bill and bigred like this.
  10. bigred

bigred Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $626
    I think he just says it more bluntly, "don't have a sh*t product."

He isn't one of those guys that going to give you a step-by-step on validating your market.

He always talks about piveting, based on the feedback you get from the market.

I'm not calling you out, but are we listening to the same person? I have listened to him on and off for over a year and he has consistently said the same thing over and over and over.

11. TylerH1994

Rep Bank:
    $892
    Haha just two different perspectives.

Argue and bigred like this.
  12. MoneyDoc

MoneyDoc Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,670
    The problem with a lot of his followers is that they don't do sh*t. They just use his videos/podcasts as a means of delaying the action. Those that already have a business up and running or those that do take action after listening to his stuff, it can be pure gold.

13. Argue

Argue Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,295
    Absolutely. For those entrepreneurs on a different level, Gary's insights are an advantage.

But for the average joe, it becomes another action fake. They binge watch all day but fail to take a single step. This group keeps watching hoping for the holy grail.

And that's where my belief is that watching him is an action fake unless you're an executing entrepreneur with passive income every month, then yeah he has food for thought.

Majority return to their day job the next day or return to their old habits.

In business, it takes execution, diligence, and perseverance. Courage, grit, persistence, dedication, and patience.

Universal formula should be:

A + E = S

Action + Execution = Success

James Cozens, TheCj, Roz and 8 others like this.
  14. James Fend

James Fend Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,518
    I love listening to Gary V. on my Spotify. A few of his strength topics are:

1) Future of marketing; especially in social media marketing and trends and the future and staying ahead of the curve.

2) He talks about being a good character and person first and business second. I think this is missed a lot. sh*tty and lazy people have a huge handicap regardless of idea or execution. Being a good person and bringing those same values into your business is very BIG imo.

He does tend to talk extremely fast and a lot of hoorah stuff sometimes; but when I need a motivational kick sometimes; it fits in perfectly.

15. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,426
  16. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $185,397
    He is on the cover of entrepreneur magazine this month

Disciple96, Scot, LinorCG and 2 others like this.
  17. jilla82

jilla82 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $877
    I get why people love him.

But I dont think people get what he's doing.
    He's entertaining you to raise his position and build his brand up.
    He's not saying anything new...he just knows how to be entertaining for the "I want to be in business" crowd.

Unless you have a parent that built a business, and then let you handle the marketing straight out of high school....how can he relate to what youre going through?

People like hearing "build value first, and the money will follow"...because they dont want to deal w/ the rejection that comes with selling your a$$ off.
    but if those bills are coming...you need to get out there and sell your product...not tweet/dm/market all day long.

As post on here have highlighted...people like that Gary talks about "being a good person first"...
    ...thats another dream being sold.
    You think he isnt cut throat? You dont think the biz world is cut throat?
    People sell you that "be kind, dont be pushy" sh*t when they are at the top...because thats what the average Joe wants to hear.

PoGOOD, Gary, Thiago Machado and 4 others like this.
  18. Imgal

Imgal Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,934
    This is a thread that we could essentially be having about any entrepreneurial personality who puts themselves out there on Youtube / Instagram / Facebook etc and here's my take.

Each and every one of them has something to teach us, even if it's it's... well that's a load of crap I'd never recommend doing - which is a clear sign that a) You are action faking because you know it all and you're now just waiting for someone to give you permission to get up and do it or b) you really don't know what you're doing and keep watching videos isn't going to help you - again you need to get out there, do it, get it wrong and learn.

ajmassaro, LinorCG, V8Bill and 4 others like this.
  19. tetal

tetal New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    When I first heard about Gary V, I thought he was as fake. Fake like the people selling books and conventions e.g. Tai Lopez, but then I watched his daily vlogs and that changed my mind. He actually runs, from what I can tell, a successful marketing company (VaynerMedia.) My opinion, what he says comes from what he does from running his family wine business in the past to the business he does now. Since he is really an entrepreneur with an actual business his opinions and views are worth taking into consideration since he has actually done something.

20. Carnage

Carnage Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,277
    I think he's alright, since he at least did something, business-wise, unlike other guru's.......but it's funny that he loves social media, so he's constantly posting stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but his followers are constantly flooded with his posts, tweets, youtube videos and whatever....with all that entertainment, I cant see how his followers will ever take action.

Bottomsouth and ZF Lee like this.
  21. V8Bill

V8Bill Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $18,860
    That's a surprisingly cynical, misrepresentation and inaccurate view of his messages that I strongly disagree with. I think you're way off and it makes me wonder if you actually believe all the things you said or that you just don't know much about him.

I find it difficult to understand how anyone could come to those conclusions about a guy who's obviously done the hard yards and is now trying to inspire others to do the same? What his parents "gave" him is a hard work ethic. He definitely wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth or had everything given to him on a platter. And to suggest that he's going to all this trouble to be at best inauthentic or at worst bull sh*tting to us about everything he says just to sell books? Come on man, seriously?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  22. Waspy

Waspy Float like a butterfly Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,537
    I find his online content repetitive and tedious.

I am a fan of his books however. In audio form. I have gained a lot of value from them.

Longinus and V8Bill like this.
  23. Alden

Alden Today Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $376

I don't think he's selling the dream... he really has nothing to sell. The income he earns is mostly from his business not his "hustle" t shirts and books. Compared to the amount of time he adds into it, I don't think he's out to get rich. He even says legacy over currency.

I like the guy, but some people can think their saying the right thing but its wrong. Like the scientists who thought the earth was flat. They didn't want sailors falling to their deaths, they were just protecting them, but in the end they were wrong. Gary's intention is in the right place but that doesn't necessarily make him correct/helpful.

24. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $164,435
    Last year I binged on his YouTube videos for about a month or so. I definitely learned a lot about social media, and that there's a whole 'nother level of working hard. Watch a few of his early Daily Vee's and you'll see what I mean.

I too found his audio books great to listen to.

It's just that I don't aspire to his lifestyle or his goals. He spends so little time with his family (it seems). It was good for me to realise what I didn't want to become (not saying I even got the correct impression of him, just that it clarified things for me).

I also found he was churning out so much content that I'd have to be a full-time consumer to keep up with him.

I do like that he says his goal is that you won't need him anymore.

Consume, learn, take an action-taking leaf from his book.

Just make sure your own thoughts don't get drowned out in all the noise out there, and that you produce more than you consume.

TheCj, Roz, Bottomsouth and 12 others like this.
  25. ColbyG

ColbyG Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $331
    I watch a little bit of Gary whenever I get the chance, and he is the perfect example of not doing everything a person says, but deciding for yourself what applies to you. He talks alot of sh*t. But amongst the sh*t is some nuggets of absolute gold. Like his meetings with clients are great. Every now and then you actually get insight into his marketing strategy. But there's a lot of fluff to wade through first.

Xeon, Roli and ZF Lee like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.