The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can I use someone else's site as an example?

EdwardSavage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 19, 2017
West Palm Beach,FL
Hello,

As I am starting in web design, I do not have a consolidated portfolio that I can use as an example for prospects. Would it be okay if I linked potential clients to a website not created by myself, if I know I can make something similar?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
Lying to your potential clients by passing someone else's work off as your own is frowned upon by most people and not a great way to start off in entrepreneurship.

People respect honesty. Do you really want to gamble your reputation?

How about finding someone you know who could use some help designing their website and do it for free as a way to build your portfolio?

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
How about you create your own website, and link them to that.... You are in web design after all.

On the other hand I see know problem with linking to a website and saying "Do you like the style of this? I could create something similar"

Never say someone else's work is yours, ever.

EdwardSavage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 19, 2017
West Palm Beach,FL
On the other hand I see know problem with linking to a website and saying "Do you like the style of this? I could create something similar"
Yeah, this is what I was aiming at. Not to plagiarize.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
As I am starting in web design, I do not have a consolidated portfolio that I can use as an example for prospects.
Check out the web design thread by @Fox it'll help you develop some client acquisition strategies. If you like the thread, consider his course as it's pretty much giving you a step by step business in a box from learning to code all the way to closing a sale.

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal
Always be honest, haven't done any websites? Create one for your self. Be willing to give away your time at first, be willing to create something for someone for next to nothing. That will build up your portfolio @Fox has some great threads here you would find helpful

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Hello,

As I am starting in web design, I do not have a consolidated portfolio that I can use as an example for prospects. Would it be okay if I linked potential clients to a website not created by myself, if I know I can make something similar?

Define "okay"?

There is no "right" or "wrong" here. Such concepts are arbitrary and any position is impossible to defend on empirical grounds.

Machiavelli once said that "he who tries to be good all of the time is bound to become undone by the men that are not good all of the time."

Does the ends justify the means?

EdwardSavage

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 19, 2017
West Palm Beach,FL
Define "okay"?

There is no "right" or "wrong" here. Such concepts are arbitrary and any position is impossible to defend on empirical grounds.

Machiavelli once said that "he who tries to be good all of the time is bound to become undone by the men that are not good all of the time."

Does the ends justify the means?

Ideally, I will try to not directly cite the exemplary as my own.

This will be a one-time strategy.

@Ubermensch

“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”

I think I'll take the pseudo-menace approach this time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.