The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can a sales position be Fastlane?

Anything related to matters of the mind

MrG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 19, 2015
Hi fastlaners,

See question as thread title and explanation below. Go!

I have been offered a position as sales director Europe in a start-up (1 year young,machinery equipment, valuation at 100M$ by KPMG, small team of 20 people). I'd be reporting to CEO and I've work in this industry for a long time, my current employer is a corporate player that entered the industry 5 years back but before I was in another start-up where I experienced the move from start-up to scale-up (10M to 100M in 5 years) in that very same industry.

Basically I'd be doing the job my boss did in my previous start-up. The CEO is someone I met whilst working there and he wants me to execute that role leveraging my past connections with different VARs and resellers. So in terms of culture/leadership I'm pretty safe since I've worked with this guy for a long time.

Thing is... they'd match my corporate salary and add to that the sales quota, most likely will have participation in the company too. So the salary goes to a range that I would not match with a fastlane business in the first 24 months. It's risky, and I'll work 24/7, but at least results will bring extra income and potential exit of 1-2M€ a few years down the line. If it goes to shit, I finally can go and start my own fastlane business since I won't be tied in the golden corporate cage.

To put things in context, I live in Spain. I can buy a house for 200k€.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019
Hi fastlaners,

I have been offered a position as sales director Europe in a start-up (1 year young,machinery equipment, valuation at 100M$ by KPMG, small team of 20 people). I'd be reporting to CEO and I've work in this industry for a long time, my current employer is a corporate player that entered the industry 5 years back but before I was in another start-up where I experienced the move from start-up to scale-up (10M to 100M in 5 years) in that very same industry.

Basically I'd be doing the job my boss did in my previous start-up. The CEO is someone I met whilst working there and he wants me to execute that role leveraging my past connections with different VARs and resellers. So in terms of culture/leadership I'm pretty safe since I've worked with this guy for a long time.

Thing is... they'd match my corporate salary and add to that the sales quota, most likely will have participation in the company too. So the salary goes to a range that I would not match with a fastlane business in the first 24 months. It's risky, and I'll work 24/7, but at least results will bring extra income and potential exit of 1-2M€ a few years down the line. If it goes to shit, I finally can go and start my own fastlane business since I won't be tied in the golden corporate cage.

You are in a very good position.
Real estate in spain is all time low due to covid has destroyd the tourism.
If I was you. I would work for the company and buy real estate or business like hotels and beach clubs who are at an all time low in places like Ibiza, Mallorca, Gran Canaria, Costa Del Sol etc.
Then flip, lease, rent out or run when the crisis is over.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Becoming great at sales is the fastest way for someone to go from nothing to something.

You change from dollars for hours to dollars for results.

The paychecks are much bigger... but there are no guarantees.

But the ultimate truth is, you are still an earner. Unless you take that money and create something with it, you'll get caught in a golden handcuffs situation where you're making great money but the moment you stop working your income stops coming .

It sounds like a great opportunity for you right now and if you don't have anything similar or better -- take it and commit to mastering sales and leading a team (on someone else's dime!)

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hi fastlaners,

Depends on the shares and stocks options given. But seems like you have a decent stake in it.

It is less risky than a typical fast lane because you are paid a salary by someone else regardless of the success.

You have have much less control than a typical fast lane because
1) You are not the owner
2) It sounds like a VC play so it also depends the exit strategy. Are you guys looking to generate profit and sell the present value of the future cashflow, or selling a growth narrative. The former has more control and the latter relies very much on the investment atmosphere. If the company can deliver cash and profit on its own then there is no crisis if you cannot find a buyer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.