The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Camper Van Conversion Company

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

AmazingLarry

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Hey guys! I recently made a thread about a sprinter van that I converted into a camper and took a 3 month road trip in with the wife.
I sold the van about a month ago, and after going through the whole process I decided to start a van conversion company, so this is my execution thread.

I've settled on this because there's a high demand, I can get started quickly, and there is definitely potential to grow it into something scalable. I love to design and build new things, so this fits right in with my skills, experience and passion. Initially I'll be doing one-off conversions, but I should be able to make some decent profit to help pay the bills, then focus on where to grow once I'm established and have more experience in this field.

Up to this point, I've reviewed all the existing van conversion businesses I could find to get an idea of their specific services and fees so I can define my value skew right from the start.
I picked a business name (which I'll post once it's registered) and installed WordPress. Branding will be important, so my goal is to get a nice looking website up, advertise, then see how much interest I get. I want to get my first customer set up for the beginning of next year.

The next thing I need to work on is a pricing plan for different conversion options. After that, I'll be making a logo and starting on the website. I had the thought of possibly doing this before I sold the van, so thankfully I took some video and pictures I can use on the site.

I'm also currently in the process of buying a house, starting a non-profit, and self-writing a patent, so time management will be important. My timeline may get pushed back depending on how all these different things go and how much work I get for my part time job, but if I'm making consistent progress towards this I'll be happy.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kelvin Fernandez

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Hey guys! I recently made a thread about a sprinter van that I converted into a camper and took a 3 month road trip in with the wife.
I sold the van about a month ago, and after going through the whole process I decided to start a van conversion company, so this is my execution thread.

I've settled on this because there's a high demand, I can get started quickly, and there is definitely potential to grow it into something scalable. I love to design and build new things, so this fits right in with my skills, experience and passion. Initially I'll be doing one-off conversions, but I should be able to make some decent profit to help pay the bills, then focus on where to grow once I'm established and have more experience in this field.

Up to this point, I've reviewed all the existing van conversion businesses I could find to get an idea of their specific services and fees so I can define my value skew right from the start.
I picked a business name (which I'll post once it's registered) and installed WordPress. Branding will be important, so my goal is to get a nice looking website up, advertise, then see how much interest I get. I want to get my first customer set up for the beginning of next year.

The next thing I need to work on is a pricing plan for different conversion options. After that, I'll be making a logo and starting on the website. I had the thought of possibly doing this before I sold the van, so thankfully I took some video and pictures I can use on the site.

I'm also currently in the process of buying a house, starting a non-profit, and self-writing a patent, so time management will be important. My timeline may get pushed back depending on how all these different things go and how much work I get for my part time job, but if I'm making consistent progress towards this I'll be happy.
Very cool. Camper vans are rising in popularity.

Runum

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Traveling Western US
Good luck with your venture.

Are you going to convert customer' vans or are you going to buy, convert, and sell vans?

AmazingLarry

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Good luck with your venture.

Are you going to convert customer' vans or are you going to buy, convert, and sell vans?

Thanks!

Initially I'll be converting customer's vans.

Phase 2 will be to create some standard layouts, buy, convert, and sell (or rent).

Kak

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Cool idea! You can definitely do this at scale. Be known for something though. The best (insert value proposition) in the industry. Be sought after for something.

This should go pretty well for you! Good job!

AmazingLarry

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Quick update. Haven't made too much progress on this in the last 2 weeks. I've been very busy with buying a house and finishing the website for my nonprofit. I was going to try and spread my time between my nonprofit website, patent writing, and van company, but I decided to knock the first two out one at a time first. I figured I'll be more efficient if I focus on one thing and stay in that headspace.

I did get in contact with my state DMV to find out if I need any licenses for my camper van business. I don't need anything if I'm just converting other people's vans, but if I'm buying new or used vans to convert and resell, then I need a dealer license. I was planning just do provide the conversion service initially, but I can handle the license process once I'm at the step where I'm buying vans, converting them with standardized layouts, then reselling.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Alpine, UT
I imagine this space is going to grow, and you will have plenty of media accomplices to give your free PR as it suits a particular "own nothing" or "own little" agenda. Will follow...

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE  You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
What I got was completely unexpected; @LightHouse generously talked with me for 2 straight hours...
MARKETPLACE  Freelance University: Solve Every Freelance Problem (Especially on Upwork)
FU. 4 DAYS. 50% OFF BLACK FRIDAY SALE! If you're an Upwork freelancer, you'd be a fool not to...
MARKETPLACE  For Sale: Food Brand with 4 Years of Happy Customers in a Fast-Growing Niche
So to get certified, it cost a fortune? How much exactly? That sucks that these "health...
MARKETPLACE  Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Fox's Web School helps you learn a specialized skill which you can use to get to Fastlane. It's...
MARKETPLACE  Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom