The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

CADa Dia

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
CADa Dia. As in CAD a day, "each day."

CAD, as defined by Wikipedia: "Computer-aided design (CAD) is the use of computer systems to assist in the creation, modification, analysis, or optimization of a design."

This is a mental workout regimen intended to hone my skills in 3D modeling and design. You, the Fastlane Forum members, are the accountability partners - my metaphorical clients for whom I must deliver a product, as promised.

I will grab one item from the house each day and do my best to replicate it in a reasonable amount of time. Levels of complexity (size, shape, etc.) will vary. I may change the item's form, or approximate dimensions to exercise my creative freedom. Accuracy and precision is not the goal. Daily execution, completion and consistency IS. I will provide notes and comments on each work as necessary.

I am open to answer any questions you may have. Feedback is always welcome.

- Marc

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
I started this last night, and stopped around 2:00am, and I'm going to call it today's project since I picked it up and "finished" within the last hour. The first item I grabbed is a "Mach 12" wheel for a Go-Ped motorized scooter. For the record, these pictures were cleaned up using FotoFuze, which someone recommended in Biophase's soap thread. Sorry that I can't remember your name, but it worked well, so thank you again!

photo_1.JPGphoto_2.JPG

There are a few companies that make aftermarket wheels with different designs...Neat! The first step was to create a blank wheel, in case I want to create more designs in the future. This time, I decided to use a design of my own that was inspired by the BBS automobile wheel company. The conical shape was an accident that worked out.

sport_wheel_blank.PNG sport_wheel_BBS_Taper3.PNG sport_wheel_BBS_Taper2.PNG sport_wheel_BBS_Taper.PNG
Notes: I am using Solid Works 2013 for the 3D modeling. The "blank" was created in two steps using the sketch and revolve tools. That took no time at all. The spokes caused the biggest headache. I had to "rewind" the wheel's features to an earlier state where some of the chamfers (angled edges), fillets (rounded edges), cuts and extrusions didn't exist. Getting the shape just right was trial and error, more or less free-handed. Once I liked the shape of one spoke, I used a circular pattern to replicate it nine times. I brought the features back, and with an extrusion, extruded cuts and revolved cut, I was left with the shape you see above.

I omitted some details and pictures for brevity. Again, if there is anything that you would like to see, or if you have any questions, let me know. :)

Edit: It was @DavidofMN who recommended FotoFuze. Thank you!

Last edited:

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
Yes, autoCAD. It's such a complete dog next to solidworks.

Very nice work. Solidworks is my favouite modelling software. You clearly know how to work with planes, which alot of people have difficulty with.

If you really want to push your skills, try contour modelling and create asymmetrical shapes. If you master this, you can do just about anything.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
...try contour modelling and create asymmetrical shapes...
That is definitely on the list. I'm fascinated by designers who are adept at contour modeling. I'll be there soon.

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
I love solidworks. I have created some complex 3D shapes with it I would not even know how to make in 2D.

My only question is why? Why are you doing this?

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
I love solidworks. I have created some complex 3D shapes with it I would not even know how to make in 2D.

My only question is why? Why are you doing this?
If you want to get stronger at the gym, you have to do the reps; the same applies to any skill set. I am not an expert, but daily practice with SolidWorks will improve my speed, efficiency and familiarity with the program. I like being inventive, and I want the ability to create anything that I can dream up - including, but not limited to products that could solve the needs of many. A 3D model is a great asset. If I'm happy with the product, I can export my file for rapid prototyping. From there, the possibilities are endless.

Edit: I hope that this thread will inspire other members to engage in process. I will include rudimentary steps in future posts to show how accessible invention can be.

Last edited:

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Bonus post: I decided to make the tire, bearings, and complete the assembly. That's all for today.

Total time: 1 hour and 56 minutes.

photo.JPG

Bearing:
Created a profile and revolved it 360 degrees for the races. Repeated the process using a semi-circle for the ball. Radial pattern for the ball (9 copies for 10 balls, total).
Bearing_races.PNG bearing_ball.PNG complete_bearing.PNG

6.7" Solid Rubber Tire:
Create a profile and revolve it 360 degrees for the shape. Draw a curve, use a radial pattern, and an extruded cut to make the grooves.
Sport_Tire1.PNG Sport_Tire2.PNG Sport_Tire3.PNG

Complete Assembly:
complete_wheel_assy_exploded.PNG complete_wheel_assy.PNG

Note: This is really an eye-opening experience for me. What I have done isn't invention. Innovation, maybe, but calling it that may be pushing it. With the supplies in the picture, and a little bit of free time I was able to create (read: replicate) a product. If it was my original idea, I wouldn't be far from the prototyping phase for $20 in supplies and ~ 6 hours, assuming that I had a clear idea of what I wanted to make, dimensions and all. For the record, the software was free, courtesy of my Alma mater, but I believe trial and student versions are available for free, or little cost. This is how ideas make it from the napkin to the drawing board and beyond.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Day 2: Rancho Racing Intake Manifold

Total time: 2 hours and 57 minutes

photo 4.JPG 3 - photo_2.jpg 4 - photo_3.jpg photo_1.JPG

Getting Started: Measuring the base was a major pain in the a$$. Nearly every hole and edge is skew. That is, none of them line up nicely, although they look parallel or perpendicular in some areas. Have a look.

rancho_manifold4.PNG

Everything else was easier from that point forward. I didn't like how the aluminum manifold has a step in the bore, which impedes flow of the air and fuel mixture. I used the loft tool to create a smooth transition between the circular and rectangular ports; what a great feature!

rancho_manifold5.PNG rancho_manifold6.PNG rancho_manifold7.PNG rancho_manifold8.PNGrancho_manifold2.PNG

Note: I am proud of how well this piece came out. I took extra time to thread the mounting holes (which, admittedly could use a bit of polish) for extra practice and aesthetic appeal. I had to repeat the step four times to get it right. It will go smoother next time!

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
If you really want to push your skills, try contour modelling and create asymmetrical shapes.

After a few lessons on YouTube, I felt confident enough to use the loft and sweep tools. I free-handed the head of a golf club, so please excuse any wonky geometry. Shapes like this are hard to work with without any equations or dimensions to define the curvature.

Total time: ~ 1 hour and 40 minutes, including videos. I wasn't paying close attention to the clock.

Golf_Club_Head4.PNGGolf_Club_Head.PNG Golf_Club_Head3.PNG Golf_Club_Head2.PNG

Thanks again for the challenge. :)

earlymornings

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Feb 16, 2014
Hey mate nice work! Designs look great!

Have you tried posting this thread on a modelling or ACAD forum? You might get a better response from guys directly in the industry.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I'm very interested in your progress here.
I used to do a LOT of 3d motion design, but I never created the actual models. I just animated stuff that other people provided.

What sort of outputs can your program export as?
Do you have the ability to export these as objs?

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma

Have you tried posting this thread on a modelling or ACAD forum? You might get a better response from guys directly in the industry.
Thank you for the feedback. I look forward to uploading more unique designs as my skills with the program improve. I searched for CAD forums and wasn't impressed with what I saw; there isn't a lot of activity. Are there any that you had in mind?

I'm very interested in your progress here.
I used to do a LOT of 3d motion design, but I never created the actual models. I just animated stuff that other people provided.

What sort of outputs can your program export as?
Do you have the ability to export these as objs?
It doesn't look like I can export files as an .obj; however, there might be third party programs that can do a file conversion.

At a glance:
dennis.png

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Thank you for the feedback. I look forward to uploading more unique designs as my skills with the program improve. I searched for CAD forums and wasn't impressed with what I saw; there isn't a lot of activity. Are there any that you had in mind?

It doesn't look like I can export files as an .obj; however, there might be third party programs that can do a file conversion.

At a glance:
View attachment 7223

I use 3dmax to treat my OBJs before I animated them. 3dmax imports DWGs so that's good.
We should work together on some fun projects soon, just to refine both of our skillets more. You make some models, I animate them.

I won't be ready for about 4 weeks I'll PM you when I am and we can get rolling

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Impressive skills. I don't quite understand how this applies to building a business. Is it just for fun? How will you monetize this according to CENTS?

Normally, inventors and product creators have to pay TONS of cash up front for a usable cad
And everytime they want a slight improvement or modification, they have to dish out more money.
Combining these practiced skills with a 3d printer, @Marc B. is gaining the ability to rapid prototype as many inventions as he can dream for free.
Just look at the progress @Vick has made

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Impressive skills. I don't quite understand how this applies to building a business. Is it just for fun? How will you monetize this according to CENTS?
This is an exercise in design, discipline, credibility, and confidence building for me. Each post makes me more comfortable with making my work public. Every design is different, and each time I use SolidWorks I find a new use for its tools. I find that part of the process empowering; it makes me feel like I can create anything. I'm breaking down the builds for readers, especially those who might be interested in invention and innovation, so they can see some of the steps involved in creating a product. I hope that the thread inspires others to do the same. I am also willing to help anyone who is having trouble with CAD, since most 3D modeling programs have similar functions.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Normally, inventors and product creators have to pay TONS of cash up front for a usable cad
And everytime they want a slight improvement or modification, they have to dish out more money.
Combining these practiced skills with a 3d printer, @Marc B. is gaining the ability to rapid prototype as many inventions as he can dream for free.
Just look at the progress @Vick has made
Well put! I am not the most articulate speaker, so you will have to be patient with me. ;) A collaboration sounds like fun and a great way to network. Let me know when you're ready, and we'll see if I can handle the task.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma

earlymornings

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Feb 16, 2014

At a glance:
View attachment 7223

At a glance:
View attachment 7223

Sorry mate, I don't know of any cad forums. I use 2d cad and just use knowledge from other guys..

On that note of not finding any active cad forums maybe you could show your design progress on a blog. Sounds like there may be an opportunity there

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
...you could show your design progress on a blog. Sounds like there may be an opportunity there
I like your idea, and it was something I thought of when I created this thread. I'm going to put the blog on hold for now while I focus on this thread and other parts of the forum. I am not as productive when my attention is divided across too many projects.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
No doubt. But on the other hand there are quite awesome CADers out there that charge pennies just to get experience. I know as I'm working with one right now.

True. I guess it all comes down to preference. I'm the typa guy that finds value in being able to wake up a 3am and design without having to wait for back and forth communication, but it makes me lack in other areas. To each his own.

PS: @Marc B. By this he means that others are willing to work for next to free for him in order to train their skills.

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
After a few lessons on YouTube, I felt confident enough to use the loft and sweep tools. I free-handed the head of a golf club, so please excuse any wonky geometry. Shapes like this are hard to work with without any equations or dimensions to define the curvature.

Thanks again for the challenge. :)

Great Job! A golf driver is Very complex.
Honestly, you have a better grasp of 3d modeling than most engineers.

I propose a new challenge to you. Stop trying to perfect this skill. You're 95% adept at CAD. Don't waste your time trying to gain the last 5%.

Now devote your time to inventing. Spend that time discovering and solving a problem with your skills. YOU ARE READY. You have mastered CAD to a high level. Now create! Invent! Don't waste time perfecting what you have obviously mastered!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm not following. Can you please explain?
They are doing cad work on projects that people need for low rates to get the experience of using cad like you. He's saying that although you are learning this, it might be better to learn something else as this skill may be able to be outsourced for cheap.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
I propose a new challenge to you [...] devote your time to inventing. Spend that time discovering and solving a problem with your skills.
I started designing my own product yesterday to solve a problem that I've had for a few years.

They are doing cad work on projects that people need for low rates to get the experience of using cad like you. He's saying that although you are learning this, it might be better to learn something else as this skill may be able to be outsourced for cheap.
Than you for clarifying. I think it makes more sense to outsource the jobs that you can't do as well on your own. I also enjoy 3D modeling. It's cathartic, and it's my creative outlet. I wouldn't want to give up that job to someone else unless it was taking too much time away from my business.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
The important takeaway here is that I am learning something new with the program every day. As Wilddog mentioned, I have a decent grasp of CAD, so I have shifted my focus to creating value using what I already know well. For a case in point, I was able to help a friend (and former employer) create a custom piece for a machine in his warehouse. Thanks to the daily execution, I made quick work of the favor. I have been practicing regularly, but not posting as much as I would like to. I modeled several pieces and created a complete assembly, but I neglected to document my time in haste. I may put the thread on hold while I work on my designs and prototype(s) along with another related project. For now, enjoy the photos I posted below, let me know if there is anything that you would like to see, and feel free to PM me. Thank you all for the encouragement and feedback thus far!

Days 3 - 6: Aero Press Coffee Maker pieces + complete assembly; 20-tooth timing belt pinion (modified)

Total Time: 3 hours (estimated)

This coffee maker was a blast to make. It's always nice when the pieces fit together just right the first time.

AeroPress+New+Photo.jpg
(Photo taken from Liquid Planet)

aeropress3.PNG aeropress4.PNG aeropress5.PNG aeropress7.PNG aeropress2.PNG

Barcharts_Pinion2.PNGBarcharts_Pinion1.PNG

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Pretty awesome man!

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Now devote your time to inventing. Spend that time discovering and solving a problem with your skills. YOU ARE READY. You have mastered CAD to a high level. Now create! Invent! Don't waste time perfecting what you have obviously mastered!
Thank you so much for this advice. I'd like to show you what has happened.

• Returned to the two-stroke tuning community after reflecting on my first posts in this thread and @wilddog 's post above. I know a fair amount about the subject, so I saw the opportunity to help newbies and hobbyists who were having trouble with their engines (daily problem) by offering advice, answering questions, and delivering those answers in layman's terms to minimize confusion.
  • Became more active on the forum by addressing questions frequently, but I didn't always have the right answers, or complete answers. I started reading any two-stroke tuning literature I could get my hands on, so I could give more thorough explanations.
    • Cycle begins. Member asks a question I can't answer --> read more --> have an answer --> happy camper.
  • The more I learned about the technical nuances of our hobby, the easier it was for me to find room for improvement, opportunities for product creation.*
    • First opportunity seized.
      • Concept --> product --> market --> sales
  • I signed up to facebook to join more enthusiast groups, extend my reach, and do some face-to-face networking by attending meet-and-greets and rides.** I'm still helping our growing community daily and having a blast in the process!
* See @biophase 's post on "building a better knife." Read the whole thread while you're at it.
Ask me anything about eCommerce (2015+)
** Some guys prefer not to join our online communities, so local meet-ups are the best way to reach them.

I've listed events chronologically in a flow chart to avoid tl;dr. I'll do my best, in the following posts, to support the thread with pictures, information, and highlights from this experience.
FC_Process.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!