The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

C0VlD-19 Effects on Rental Properties

TurtleSprint

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Oct 25, 2017
Illinois
Greetings all,

Interested to hear how the recent happenings have affected all of you fellow owners and managers.

Have you taken a hit from tenants being unemployed?
Difficulties filling vacancies?
Thriving?

I've taken a share of bumps and bruises but feel fortunate to have created this supplementary income. I hope this opened a lot of eyes to work towards independence.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Canadian here.

From what I've heard, a lot of my landlord peers are a little on edge but things are still working fairly well - no unusual payment or tenant issues.

Personally, I had one tenant that stopped paying months prior to covid - by the time I could take him to the Landlord Tenant Board and get an eviction order, he was given three weeks to move out or police could come physically remove him. Guess what happened when the three weeks came up? Covid! No evictions allowed during the pandemic here.

That pissed me off a fair bit, but I ended up selling that building and made a decent little sum from it haha

TurtleSprint

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Oct 25, 2017
Illinois
Canadian here.

From what I've heard, a lot of my landlord peers are a little on edge but things are still working fairly well - no unusual payment or tenant issues.

Personally, I had one tenant that stopped paying months prior to covid - by the time I could take him to the Landlord Tenant Board and get an eviction order, he was given three weeks to move out or police could come physically remove him. Guess what happened when the three weeks came up? Covid! No evictions allowed during the pandemic here.

That pissed me off a fair bit, but I ended up selling that building and made a decent little sum from it haha
Yeah I had the same headaches with no evictions being allowed. Most of my tenants were good although I had some extreme cases that bailed and cost me a fair amount. Starting to see the effects of jobs being lost though. Tenants that can usually afford things pretty easily are having to cut back and are leaving to downsize.

Really wish we (landlords) would have been given some sort of economic relief to counterbalance the eviction ruling.

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013
Yeah I had the same headaches with no evictions being allowed. Most of my tenants were good although I had some extreme cases that bailed and cost me a fair amount. Starting to see the effects of jobs being lost though. Tenants that can usually afford things pretty easily are having to cut back and are leaving to downsize.

Really wish we (landlords) would have been given some sort of economic relief to counterbalance the eviction ruling.
Here in Victoria, Australia, the eviction ruling is officially extending from Sept to 31/12/2020 today.
Yeah, the event really opening my eyes toward independence. I re-reading the Unscripted book today and it said: "...the UNSCRIPTED undersand the difference between the uncontrollable limited leverage (depend on the job/stock/housing market for decades and pray to God)."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alleghenyman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Nov 18, 2019
I’ve had no problems despite tenants being unemployed for short time periods. Treat them with a basic level of respect and decency and reap dividends. One person needed a little flexibility in her due date, not a big deal. Most people don’t want to have their credit ruined and to become ineligible to ever rent again, even if there is a temporary delay in evictions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.