The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buying A Repair Shop-How To Find Financial Backing

Ronr3914

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 4, 2014
Over the past couple of years I have become comfortable working my job day in and day out. Something snapped and now I realized again that I cannot work for somebody. I am an auto technician and have decided to buy an established auto repair shop. I understand that this isn't exactly fast lane but I have a 5 year plan for financial independence. Does anybody have any suggestions for finding financial backing? Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks again.

P.S. I reside in Rhode Island.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Over the past couple of years I have become comfortable working my job day in and day out. Something snapped and now I realized again that I cannot work for somebody. I am an auto technician and have decided to buy an established auto repair shop. I understand that this isn't exactly fast lane but I have a 5 year plan for financial independence. Does anybody have any suggestions for finding financial backing? Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks again.

P.S. I reside in Rhode Island.

If you want "outside" investors to take you seriously, you need a business plan. A pro forma that details expected growth at different levels of success would also go a long way.

Just think about it from an investors perspective. What do they want to know?

Where is my money going to be spent? - Business Plan
How soon can I expect my money back? - Pro forma
What's the ROI on my investment? - Pro forma

etc.etc.

Good luck!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Flip it the other way, if I came to you to invest in my new business, what would you want to see? Multiply that by 10 and you will be ready to chase hard money. Multiply by 100 and do not actually need the money and you can go to the bank.

Watch an episode of shark's tank or dragon's den. It shows about 10% of the transaction. @IGP made some good suggestions!

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What is your end goal?

I'm not experienced in this industry, but from what I've seen:
  • there are very few multi-location garages
  • the vast majority seem like the owner 'owns his job'
unless you want to 'own your job,' you need to think through how you are going to do things differently.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
I see only two options:

1) Get a business loan from a bank, using the business as collateral.

2) Choose to start small instead. Work out of your own garage for cash and once you've banked some $, expand to a proper location.

I say only 2 options, because I'd flee from the idea of partners or investors. I'd also never take a loan from friends or family, because it can only stress the most important relationships in one's life.

That's my 0.02 and it's probably worth what you paid for it.

Goldman snacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Aug 15, 2016
I dont know much about financial backing but let us know how it goes, my dad is in the commercial repair industry, he was a mechanic at the age of 40 ish when his boss died, took a loan of 7k from my grandma on my mothers side of the family and he hired his co workers and contacted the customers the old company had and won some of them over, he rented out a shabby air hanger looking garage, then he grew his customer base sending his busty admin out to prospect, (theres alot of horny old dudes that own a fleet of vehicles so I feel she had a decent close ratio), nevertheless he grew his business the old fashioned way and expanded and built this huge garage, this one is more like the military base instead of the hanger, now he has slacked off because hes an old man and wont even let me prospect new people for him hes stuck in his ways, so dont tell yourself its not fastlane, if you are successfull, you can double the garage output by running it 24hrs and get a faster turnover, then you can increase the size, then you can open new locations.

how much are you asking for aswell? i see garage businesses on bizbuysell for 300k+, sure theres less risk of failure, but you can start your own for less, if you cant get the support you can always fight in the trenches, if my 40year old dad did it im sure anyone can that has that background, he cant even use a smartphone.

I hope the story helps, I dont know how much your looking for it could be 10k-1 mill depending on what kind of garage it is

Ronr3914

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 4, 2014
I appreciate all of the responses and feedback. I am leaning towards a bank loan because it may be the easiest way for me to get my hands on capital. I plan on using this business model as a stepping stone into financial independence. The replies that I have gotten have been very helpful, thanks again.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Get more cash from more customers?

Increase the number of customers you have, and you'll need less cash from investors, and they'll also be more likely to lend to you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.