The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business with family? (Inlaws)

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California
Do any of you have experience doing business with family? Tell me the good, bad and ugly!

I have an opportunity to go into business with my father in law(and his friend), so Im trying to analyze the situation.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward doing it, but I don't want to jump in without considering it thoughtfully.

I appreciate your thoughts!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Never did business with a family member, but with my best friend. Was my (our) first attempt at business after both of us read TMF .

In the beginning it was great, the idea phase, where we would sit there and talk and talk about what we want to do and how we want to do it and all that stuff. But as soon as it really got down to put in action, the trouble began. Different opinions, different work ethics, different mindsets, and so on. One of the biggest problems was that he read TMF completely at that point while I stopped reading it at 1/3 through the book (back in 2011). After I finally finished reading it in 2015 I understood what mistakes I did and my lack of action taking. I decided to quit our business and rather put an end to our business than to our friendship (or what remained of it).

I don't regret what happened, I see it as a failure to learn from. I'm not generally against business partnerships between friends/family but I think you have to prepare yourself for a change in your friendship/relationship. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Chris Kelsey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
943%
Jun 5, 2016
San Francisco
Be careful, everything goes great until it turns bad at one second. I would suggest making absolutely CLEAR expectations in regards to what each person is doing. I know that doing business with friends can be really bad, and is often very likely to change or ruin the friendship. At other times, it can go great, but whenever money is in issue then you see just how greedy your friends and family members can become ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.