The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business loan

Matrix

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 7, 2007
I am planning to start a restaurant business and wondering if you guys have any recommendations where to apply for a business loans. I am thinking $100k should get me going. Anybody have any experience in SBA loans? Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

momoneyj

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 2, 2007
If you have a good business plan and experience, you can borrow from the bank..otherwise you'll need a partner to put up the funds.

liv42dy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 6, 2007
I tried getting an SBA loan for my business, but they would only loan on existing assets as collateral. (I didn't have any assets at the time.)

I agree that a good business plan is essential! Your local angel networks might be able to help you out with capital. Or you could do a JV with another restaurant owner that provides complimentary (not competitive) services. Sort of like hot fudge to go with your scoop of ice cream.

There are a lot of SEC regulations to follow when raising money for a business. This website has some good information: http://www.regdresources.com But you probably already know all that....:)

I'm in the process of looking for additional capital as well, and though I'm making progress, it's slow going.

Good luck!

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Have you entertained going to the small business administration.
SBA

In my couple of experiences with them they have been extremely helpful. Also many of their volunteers have had prior successes. They have offices all over the place.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 25, 2007
Louisville, KY
SBA typically will not lend for restaurant ventures.

The failure rate is one of the highest segments.

Failure rate is above 50% (I believe around 80%) within the first couple of years.

I have been reading here for a while without posting, but this particular subject is close to me.

I recently sold a business that supported the restaurant industry (multiunit and independent). I saw a lot!

VERY few success stories.

Good luck!

Dave :thumbsup:

mm2003

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Aug 15, 2007
Ohio
Are you looking to enter into a franchise or start your own concept? A proven concept such as Subway will be much easier to finance than starting your own.

Ausable

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Nov 12, 2007
Des Moines
$100,000 sounds kind of low. How are you going to allocate that capital between purchasing equipment, construction, and working capital? Because my buddy that opened a franchise restaurant, spent over $200,000 of his own money to get it up and running.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.