The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Self-Promotion Saturday Now Live!

Have something to sell? Want to promote your design service or a YouTube channel? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote anything within the sphere of entrepreneurship on one thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 60,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Business books are about escapism and fantasy. Just like romance novels.

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Nov 13, 2014
This article is completely correct.

The reason most people read business books is to avoid taking action.

You know the "read a book a week and it compounds over time and you end up being the God Emperor!11!!"?

Action fakers, the lot of them.

The reality is simply this:

Once you read a good book on a topic, two if it's broad, you are starting to read the same rehashed stuff over and over.

So why do it? Because if you don't read you have to actually do shit.

Most people will never take action. It's just a reality. You can lead an horse to water...

And that's fine, really. It's human nature. Hell, I know I was like that for a long time.

If people enjoy the book as entertainment, they are getting value from it.

I think if the information is good and actionable, and the people who want to take action can get results, then it's fine.

TMF is a prime example of this.

The main takeaway here:

If you are struggling with reading another book or blog or guide or pdf because you are looking for a secret, or to build a system..

STOP. If you know what the absolute first step is, take that first step already.

You are like a carpenter learning material engineering before hammering a nail to a beam.

It's natural to feel resistance to action. It's also a sure way to never succeed.

Again. If you know the absolute first thing you need to do, DO IT NOW. Don't wait to figure it out. You won't ever.

Actionable advice: follow a system for yourself. The rule is 1 hour of learning, 19 hours of doing.

I'm being literal here. If you read 5 hours today, you have 95 hours of work to do.
That's almost 12 days at 8 hours of work a day. Track this shit.

Why?

Doing teaches you more than reading. At a rate of 20:1.

This is an absolutely non-scientific ratio I just pulled out of my a$$ on a cold Sunday morning.

It's also completely true.

Andy Black

Making a nuisance of himself on Twitter
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
two if it's broad, you are starting to read the same rehashed stuff over and over.

"Business books" have taken on the role of seminars and motivational videos, in print form. There's no real substance in them, with the occasional nugget (more on that later).

Like MJ pointed out in TMFL with his web development: when he got to a problem, he figured out a way to fix it.

"Business" is not a problem.

What in particular is stopping you from moving forward? Sales? Hiring? Marketing?

Now we're getting somewhere...

Where in sales are you having trouble? Prospecting? Pitching? Closing?

Pick up a book on prospecting. Read it. Try it.

Does it work?

If no: read another. try another.

If yes: move on to the next problem.
However, I think for the most part, we're all in agreement. Reading + Massive Action = Results.

Even reading "business books" have their benefits, if you can look at the glass half full. They can expose you to unknown unknowns, for example:

A while back I listened to The Art of the Deal by Trump. I don't remember much from it, except for 1 story.

One of Trump's acquaintances built a successful multi-million dollar venture, then sold it. Many years later, he came out of retirement and bought it back, but it couldn't be rejuvenated back to life.

The one line that sticks out from that story is when the acquaintance tells Trump, "Donald, I lost momentum." (The lesson I got from that: if something works, keep doing it and don't stop and say, I'll pick it up later)

With most things, it seems the lesson comes back to...

It's not what you have, but what you do with what you have:

The splitting of the atom, can be the most destructive force on earth, or it can be a source of limitless energy.

A phone can be a distraction, or a way of facilitating sales.​

A book can be an action fake, or it can help you reach the next level.​

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
I thought I would post up the first video from the newest 2021 program content... Just a...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I have not offered one of these in a while, but it looks like I have time to take on an...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hi Lex, I looked at several options including Kajabi and settled on the Divi theme on Wordpress...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
The story is BASED UPON a true story. The details aren't entirely accurate or from a distinct...

Forum Sponsor

Grow an online business:
- Start immediately!
- Master business skills!
- 100+ Fastlane students enrolled!
Review & Details >

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers