The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Burnt Out Engineer, Haven't Vacationed in 6+ Years

Kaelah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Sep 30, 2021
California, USA
Hi, I'm Kaelah. I read Millionaire Fastlane several months ago. I've been interested in entrepreneurship since I was a kid, my Aunt owned a gardening nursery that she built from the ground up and I found it so inspiring and interesting to do that rather than work a traditional job where you're at the mercy of whoever your employer is. I've been in tech for a while, as I kid I loved video games and in high school I joined the Robotics club where I became Team Captain and learned C++ to program our robots. For several years my dream goal was to work for Google, and my whole world came crashing down when I started working with them and it was not at all what I had expected. Here in the Bay Area in California, Silicon Valley, we have tons of big tech companies. In the past couple decades, many of them have been transitioning from having mostly direct-hire employees to having contractors through third-party staffing agencies.

For the past several years I've been bouncing around from temporary contract to temporary contract. Lots of the big tech staffing agencies will offer contract-to-hire positions (few of them offer any PTO or benefits), but for many of these client companies they might hold onto contractors for 3+ years and never convert the person to a direct hire. Through persistence I'm now in a steady direct-hire role that offers pretty good compensation, and I'm listening to Millionaire Fastlane audiobook to refresh my memory on the concepts because now that I have a stable enough income to keep my bills paid, I'm going to focus on building up my own business.

After this audiobook I'm going to complete Great Rat Race Escape . In the past I've read so many books from "entrepreneurship gurus" who don't do what they preach, they'll sell courses and seminars to teach you how to publish high volumes of mediocre books on KDP (Kindle publishing). I published 8 books in total as of a year or two ago, but they honestly aren't great and the income they generate is low. I've bounced around as a Software Engineer, Data Center Engineer, Technical Support Engineer, and I haven't had a vacation in over six years. I know that starting a business or buying a business will involve lots of sweat equity and consistency, but maybe if I build something myself and can get a decent profit I could go on a nice trip to explore the world outside Silicon Valley, or maybe even buy a home instead of renting. Time for me to start dreaming about what my life can become, complete the books, draft up my 1/5/10 plan, and get to work on it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MaxT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 22, 2020
France
Hi and welcome among us, I'm also an author and developer! For my part, I launched my business in Android and iOS mobile applications that I code natively, so java and swift. If you want us to exchange, don't hesitate!

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 15, 2019
Hi, I'm Kaelah. I read Millionaire Fastlane several months ago. I've been interested in entrepreneurship since I was a kid, my Aunt owned a gardening nursery that she built from the ground up and I found it so inspiring and interesting to do that rather than work a traditional job where you're at the mercy of whoever your employer is. I've been in tech for a while, as I kid I loved video games and in high school I joined the Robotics club where I became Team Captain and learned C++ to program our robots. For several years my dream goal was to work for Google, and my whole world came crashing down when I started working with them and it was not at all what I had expected. Here in the Bay Area in California, Silicon Valley, we have tons of big tech companies. In the past couple decades, many of them have been transitioning from having mostly direct-hire employees to having contractors through third-party staffing agencies.

For the past several years I've been bouncing around from temporary contract to temporary contract. Lots of the big tech staffing agencies will offer contract-to-hire positions (few of them offer any PTO or benefits), but for many of these client companies they might hold onto contractors for 3+ years and never convert the person to a direct hire. Through persistence I'm now in a steady direct-hire role that offers pretty good compensation, and I'm listening to Millionaire Fastlane audiobook to refresh my memory on the concepts because now that I have a stable enough income to keep my bills paid, I'm going to focus on building up my own business.

After this audiobook I'm going to complete Great Rat Race Escape . In the past I've read so many books from "entrepreneurship gurus" who don't do what they preach, they'll sell courses and seminars to teach you how to publish high volumes of mediocre books on KDP (Kindle publishing). I published 8 books in total as of a year or two ago, but they honestly aren't great and the income they generate is low. I've bounced around as a Software Engineer, Data Center Engineer, Technical Support Engineer, and I haven't had a vacation in over six years. I know that starting a business or buying a business will involve lots of sweat equity and consistency, but maybe if I build something myself and can get a decent profit I could go on a nice trip to explore the world outside Silicon Valley, or maybe even buy a home instead of renting. Time for me to start dreaming about what my life can become, complete the books, draft up my 1/5/10 plan, and get to work on it.
You will have some solid skills to leverage in building your own business. Depending your learning style and your timeline, you might want to try Great Rat Race Escape right away. It takes much of the meat from the other books and teaches both the theory and the application side by side.

And definitely find a way to take a break. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and even though it took me a few days to stop thinking about work, the final days made such a difference that the people around me noticed. You'll be able to see more clearly and generate great ideas with a clearer mind.

NikNye

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 21, 2021
Spearfish, SD
Welcome!

I'm also a software engineer and ready to do something of my own. It's time to put your skills towards something for yourself.

Kaelah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Sep 30, 2021
California, USA
You will have some solid skills to leverage in building your own business. Depending your learning style and your timeline, you might want to try Great Rat Race Escape right away. It takes much of the meat from the other books and teaches both the theory and the application side by side.

And definitely find a way to take a break. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and even though it took me a few days to stop thinking about work, the final days made such a difference that the people around me noticed. You'll be able to see more clearly and generate great ideas with a clearer mind.
Thank you for the insight! I'm still pretty new to the Fastlane concepts so I think learning the theory and having examples of applications of it side-by-side could really help me get started, especially since I'm a complete beginner when it comes to the business side.

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 15, 2019
Thank you for the insight! I'm still pretty new to the Fastlane concepts so I think learning the theory and having examples of applications of it side-by-side could really help me get started, especially since I'm a complete beginner when it comes to the business side.
I got more out of the Great Rat Race Escape than the others because it explains the application in a real-world situation.

MaxT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 22, 2020
France
That's awesome! Sounds like we have similar skillsets. I took a go-at-your-own-pace online course and got a certification in Android development, made a couple Android apps (Java also) but I haven't published anything on the Google Play Store yet.
If you wish, we could discuss and even help each other on our app projects later! :)

Kaelah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Sep 30, 2021
California, USA
Hi and welcome among us, I'm also an author and developer! For my part, I launched my business in Android and iOS mobile applications that I code natively, so java and swift. If you want us to exchange, don't hesitate!
That's awesome! Sounds like we have similar skillsets. I took a go-at-your-own-pace online course and got a certification in Android development, made a couple Android apps (Java also) but I haven't published anything on the Google Play Store yet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...